Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Content server: customisation ideas...

My first impression of the new content server is that it is very very nice, but of course my second impression is "hmm, wouldn't it be nice if..."

Wouldn't it be nice if the details view for a book could be customised, maybe with a template (like e.g. the one used for generating new HTML files in the editor)?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could browse by author or by genre tag as in the main file browser?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could restrict the server to only allow access to a specific virtual library, rather than any library or virtual library as at present?

I could probably go on, but I suspect that's more than enough for now...
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can browse by aithor and genre click the Search icon in the top bar for that. And you can restrict access to a virtual library, but you have to setup user accounts for that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can browse by author and genre click the Search icon in the top bar for that. And you can restrict access to a virtual library, but you have to setup user accounts for that.
OK, thanks, I need to look into user accounts, in that case.

For author/genre browsing, I was thinking of a list of authors you can browse, and then click on an author to expand it into a list of books by that author. Otherwise you have to know or guess a name to find out that an author is there. Having a list of all books sorted by X and having to search to find things or else scroll through hundreds of pages is kind of like the Kindle interface, which in my opinion really sucks.

And I notice you didn't say anything about my template idea, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've mentioned several times that the book list display is designed to be customizable so in the future there will be more options, either builtin, or via plugins.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And I dont see how having a list of authors is any different from the search button functionality I described earlier. Did you actually try it? It works just like the Tag browser in calibre.
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

See https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e/srv/TODO.rst

for a list of things on my todo list for the server
Old 06-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
And I dont see how having a list of authors is any different from the search button functionality I described earlier. Did you actually try it? It works just like the Tag browser in calibre.
Yes, I tried it. What I see is a box labelled "Authors", and when I click on the down-arrow I see a message saying that there are 927 authors... what I don't see is a list of who those 927 authors are. Apologies if I'm being dumb, but I really can't find any way to see a list of authors, short of browsing through a list of nearly 8000 books.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Dont click the down arrow, click authors itself.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:24 AM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Dont click the down arrow, click authors itself.
Ah, OK, so I was being dumb...
Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
paulcarter
paulcarter began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Adding support for editing metadata etc. and even adding books would be a very welcome addition to the content server.
One other feature that I would love to see added is exposing the "EMail To..." functionality - then it would be possible to email a book to my kindle from any web browser.

thanks
Paul
paulcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Ah, OK, so I was being dumb...
Not so dumb...I tried that also
Found out that was the sort direction (the arrow looks just like those commonly used for a Pull down selection)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not so dumb...I tried that also

Quote:
Found out that was the sort direction (the arrow looks just like those commonly used for a Pull down selection)
So that's what it's for

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Hmm, in that case perhaps the user interface needs a little rethink if it's not just me being dumb?
Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Hmm, in that case perhaps the user interface needs a little rethink if it's not just me being dumb?
Look at our ages. It may be a generational thing.

Tubes (valves), Punch cards, Manual Transmission (gearbox), B&W TV, Iceboxes (there were still a few in use in my town), Portable Radios the size of suitcases
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #15
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Look at our ages. It may be a generational thing.

Tubes (valves), Punch cards, Manual Transmission (gearbox), B&W TV, Iceboxes (there were still a few in use in my town), Portable Radios the size of suitcases
Hmm, true. I used to love watching the picture shrink to a dot when I turned the TV off.

Maybe an option for a Netscape 0.9 theme?