Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
didli
didli began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Installation failed each time

Hi everyone !
Each time I tried to install Calibre, the installation failed close to the end (then Windows starts a roll back action and Calibre is deleted).
Is there anything I can do ?
Thanks for your help !
didli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Hi, didli, and welcome to MR and calibre.

I'm not sure I can help, but one of the guys here probably will.

Can you give us a little more detail about your setup and any error messages you see?

Things like what OS you're running (e.g., Windows vista/7... Mac...), how much memory and space on your computer, any virus programs running... Or have you tried re-downloading the file?
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Also, it would be good to know what error message the installation fails with, and if you're doing a fresh install of Calibre or trying to update it.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Rollback? That implies a previous install

You did say Windows, right? What version? Do you have 'Admin' rights?

I would suggest uninstalling any previous versions. Then find and delete the Calibre2 folder in Program files.
Then, just to start cleaner, reboot.

Temporarily disable you antivirus scanner and try the install again.

remember to re-enable the A/V when done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
didli

Hi again everyone !
Sorry I totally forgot to give my setup : Windows 7 pro / Clevo M560a (old notebook)/ 4 Go RAM / 20 Go space free, and I got admin rights.
I already tried to execute Calibre install as admin but with no luck. Compatibility mode fails too.
And it was my first install ever. The rollback action occured at the very first time I tried to install : the setup begins flawlessly, and when it is about to finish, it stopped, then begin a roll back action and delete all that was installing, saying that "a problem occured".
I will try Calibre in Linux (Ubuntu) this week-end, but Calibre should have been more helpful in my windows PC.
Here's the installation process :
1. Installation begins, everything's fine

2. Copying new files, no problems

3. PAF ! Just as it was about to finish :

4. Damned stupid Windows window :

Last edited by didli; 04-08-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have a look at the system log (via control panel, should be somewhere called management or something, I don't have an english Windows...), there should be a more detailed error there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is normally due to a previous Setup (not necessarily one relating to Calibre) not completing successfully. The Windows install sub-system is designed to roll-back setups of new apps in such a situation. Until this is cleared you may find other programs will not install either. You would have to do some Googling to work out how to clear this condition.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
didli

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This is normally due to a previous Setup (not necessarily one relating to Calibre) not completing successfully. The Windows install sub-system is designed to roll-back setups of new apps in such a situation.
As far I know, roll-back setup action can also occurs in others situations than the one you mentionned (missing component or unexpected incompatibility for example). As I already said, Calibre has never been installed in my system before, and I don't remember having a problem with another setup, mostly because I haven't tryed to install something for months.
But it'a good idea and will keep looking, thanks !
I will also look in my system log as suggested, thanks all of you. I've just tried Calibre in my Ubuntu box and it's amazing ! Now I want to try it under Windows even more ... !
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
didli

Do you know if calibre uses win32 gtk library to install on Windows platform ? I know i have some problems with gtk2 in windows due to others apps I use.

Last edited by didli; 04-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses Qt not gtk. And all DLLs it uses are installed privately (except for the C runtime)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
didli

Thanks for your kind help Kovid Goyal. I could tested Calibre yesterday on Ubuntu, and it's totally amazing. You did a great job !
I looked in my event viewer, and stupid Windows 7 (x86) tells me that Calibre is ... incompatible with my system, with no more clues (grr !).
If gtk is not faulty, then, well, honestly I don't know what else I can do. Maybe someone could zip the Calibre folder (for windows 7 - 32 bits) and post it here ? Maybe it could help to know what's wrong with my system ?
Please ?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is a portable version of calibre available at portable-apps.com
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
didli

Calibre portable version (7.49) works out of the box. I was expecting errors but no, it works great (and i don't understand why).
So I ask again : Is there someone here to post a zipped Calibre folder in order to have and try latest version 7.54 ?
Thanks again to you all !