Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Carocaro
Carocaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How about developers producing a voice activated ereader and stand for disabled pleas

Hi this is a request i'm making based on a current Amazon Forum thread request for help or information. Is it possible for Kindle to produce a voice activated ereader as I believe there is a large untapped market for such a device based on the following rationale:
One of the problems is companies believe that producing eg voice controlled (reponds to up, down, turn page, on, off etc) ereaders and an equally important eye level stand to accommodate them have very limited consumers as eg only for people paralyzed. However, I believe the market could be much wider than they think. The product I mentioned would be ideal for those who have difficulty due to shaking as in Parkinson's Disease, where muscular skeletal shakes & or weaknesses like the many types of arthritis, and the many types of Muscular oDystrophy, the many conditions where the nervous system is damaged, strokes, motor neurone
diseases, muscular sclerosis etc and of course weaknesses of wearing out through
age that limit how long you can hold a book or ereader for. The other thing is people
in these situations have limits on their ability to do certain physical activities
therefore reading is or could still be one of the main things they could & would love
To do with an adapted ereader and stand. Multiply this world wide and I believe
there's a big enough market to warrant Amazon, Kindle to become a market development leader in this field and I do hope you are listening and reading this comment, request and plea on behalf of so many who desire such an ereader. I know there are audio books and audio facilities which help some but believe me when I say it's not the same as being enabled to read for yourself with the stimulation it provides the brain and satisfaction a good book provides whether fiction or non fiction. It's a completely different and far more satisfying experience than having the stilted mechanical reader or the reader of an audio book which comes a poor second in comparison. A very large unexploited market lives in hope of the day the voice activated ereader becomes a reality.

Last edited by Carocaro; 12-04-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Put kindle but could be any ereader
Carocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I agree with you, the need is real and the technology to produce such device has been available for some time.

Please provide link to the Amazon thread about this subject so more of us can participate in the discussion.

All the best
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Ethelred?
Ethelred? has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle 2
Also agreed.

In the meantime, there is some third-party hardware that might help with certain disabilities. One example I found is http://orin.com/go/pagebot/ (caveat: very expensive and I have no personal experience with it).

Do any tablets have voice activation that works with reading apps?
Ethelred? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
There is a thread about this topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118480
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
There is a thread about this topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118480
At the end of that thread, it suggests using CVoiceControl. Development work on that program was suspended when its author took a professional job that made him unable to continue this project. He requested that somebody else take over and continue this project, but his website does not mention that anybody has stepped up and took over responsibility for this project.

It would be nice for *somebody* to port this voice control program to run natively on the kindle. Source code is provided at the website: http://www.kiecza.net/daniel/linux/

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-04-2011 at 02:17 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Carocaro
Carocaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon links

The thread or forum is on Amazon.co...unsure if .com has same links. It's called Voice activated kindle for disabled. It was a plea put out by Coz
Sorry it's taken so long to get back and thanks all who are trying to help or are interested.
Carocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Actually I'm working on it but there's an issue with alsa libraries. What I need is to force mic input to 16kHz mono, and only thing that comes to my mind is rewriting or patching kernel modules. I've tested some of the recording software and it seems that only builtin arecord allows downsampling etc.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote