Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-11-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
I would like to express my appreciation to everyone who aided me in my quest to finally get the automatic update running. Being a newcomer to the world of PDAS', and this Unique forum, I am very appreciative to all of you.

One Problem, there are many people who don't have a clue about programming or changing run or startlines. In following instructions to "setting up your scheduler", I had no inclination of what an .ixl file was, much less to down load the wcc110. Maybe for the next "Know how to instructions" you could say make sure you have downloaded the wcc110, and then explain what it is a .ixl, what do you do with it.

I have noticed on this forum that some new threads have never been answered, it is a horrid feeling when your searching for information, and you post a question, and no one answers, how would you feel? Life is not always about taking!

These people like myself will be asking a lot of questions, which can and will bottle neck your forum. The Bottom line is don't assume that everyone understands and has full knowledge with your terms.

This is only my opinion.

dillon65
dillon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by dillon65@Mar 11 2003, 04:31 PM
that some new threads have never been answered, it is a horrid feeling when your searching for information, and you post a question, and no one answers, how would you feel?  Life is not always about taking!
dillon65,

as far as I know all questions by newbies were solved over time. You cannot expect people to find the exact answer to your problems within hours after your posting. It also doesn't help if you post the same questions 3 or 4 times in different sections of the forum, on the contrary, it makes people like myself a little bit wary.

I am glad you found your solutions and I am sure this forum is the best place for you when it comes to mobile Internet.

On the other hand, I must say that you are right about one point. I hope for more member interaction in future. If not, I will have to think of a way to restrict viewing new links until someone has posted something him or herself. Normally, I am not much fan of such drakonian methods.

Just as a side note - I mentioned elsewhere that I am myself very busy at the moment. I am planning to port this forum to a new forum software THIS WEEK, and at the same time I am redoing my company's web site.

Cheers
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
dillon65
Connoisseur

I have enjoyed the journey, and so will others who don't share your knowledge in your computer language, I made no referrence to time of answering a particular thread. I saw threads dated back to last year that has not been answered. Seek and ye shall find, saith the good Lord.

as you can tell I am not a quiter, and yes you are correct in saying it "Doesn't help to post something twice". Maybe the threads could be monitered differently. What are you going to do when ten other people have come on to this site, and flood this forum with innocent, basic questions. I didn't come on this website to shoot the messenger, only to find a simplistic way of using my PDA.

I have read on this site were you have asked people to put forth a suggestion of any kind, and it is happening in a very small way; but then what happens when the flood gates open, you will have to reinvent this forum; what you have going is much bigger than you yourself realize.

I remember asking you what was the purpose of the Mozilla/3.0 (compatible: Avantog 3.2) I didn't know what is was for, what was the objective, so I asked you. Yes you did reply very quickly, but the point being, not everyone has the knowledge or understanding to the information that is given on this forum.

The bottom line is, the new people are going to be frustrated, and so will you and the moderators, simplicity will keep this forum growing. Brighthand is already starting to display this stagnant attitude on their forum, you ask a question and you get "click here"

a newcomer will always, 90% of the time ask "How, When,Where"

Just as a side note: I can read and understand instructions, once all information is provided.

DILLON65
Old 03-11-2003, 11:09 PM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by dillon65@Mar 11 2003, 09:31 AM
Being a newcomer to the world of PDAS', and this Unique forum, I am very appreciative to all of you.
I have noticed on this forum that some new threads have never been answered, it is a horrid feeling when your searching for information, and you post a question, and no one answers, how would you feel? Life is not always about taking!
I'm glad you found your answers, and the folks here are helpful...but remember that this is all a volunteer effort that we moderators provide...sometimes at great inconvenience to ourselves. Patient is the key, for sure. In my case, I've been on vacation during your postings and have had scattered opportunities to log on. A good rule of thumb for these types of forums is to post one message and wait at least a few days before asking why no answers...and to keep postings in one place.

This is also a fairly new community, and as it grows and more members chime it to help, the depth of knowledge will increase to the point where it will be hard to find something that hasn't already been covered.

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:28 AM   #5
dillon65
Connoisseur

Hello Gvtexas

Why only answer the part that you don't agree, why don't you answer the entire thread it self; my important part of the message really was about newcomers, who have no knowledge of basic computer programming, and don't know the difference between .ixl,wcc110, and run, start lines.

It was more about simplistic instructions for newcomers, and a clear explaination of how when and where.

If you have some extra time, please read over the tread.

dillon65
Advert
Old 03-12-2003, 10:44 AM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Hey dillon65,

I'm glad to see that you got all your issues worked out.

I agree with you that we need to be more responsive here to the concerns and questions of newbies, but at the same time, I think we're doing pretty well. As gvtexas pointed out, this is a volunteer effort; and as Alexander has noted, patience is a virtue.

I've had a couple of users, besides you, email or PM me with questions rather than post openly in the forums. There are a few people who have gotten their questions answered by me in email/PM, which might account for there being no further action in the forum post. I suspect the other mods have done the same.

I also agree that many of these folks haven't a clue about what the terms '.ixl', 'WCC', 'iSiloX', 'iSiloXC' mean. My suspicion is that a number of people have simply not bothered to read Alexander's instructions.

Suggestions: Maybe we should set something up so that there's a message when people sign-up for the forums that they should download the WCC, and include an instructions file in the zip.

$.02 posted

sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
dillon65
Connoisseur

To All:

What makes this forum very unique, is that one person's thoughts' and ideas, have been submitted in a very public manner; this person tells that person, and so on. The other unique element about this forum is that the creator has requested from the members to put forth their own suggestion(s).

It wasn't until I read a thread that I saw the download for wcc110, so I went looking for it, but there was no instructions to say you need the following download to complete the instruction(s) at hand.

If you are reading this thread, on behalf of the people who have not yet arrived on this forum; make your suggestion(s) known especially if it means helping someone else.

Please remember, that the one thing that brings people together is communication!

dillon65
Old 03-21-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for your comments dillon65.

We try very hard to make this forum valuable for every mobile-minded person. I think it is getting better and better. Also the instruction will be revised as soon as we have time.

Feel free to post whatever you might think needs improvement.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote