Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #61
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Ravelry
https://www.ravelry.com

Likely some there have yarn hoarders that make you look like a beginner. Maybe hordes of hoarders.

Or maybe you only come here when not on Ravelry.
Agreed. But I still have SABLE. My husband has 11 Bicycles, but since he rides them all SOMETIMES, I have a problem. But we built me an office in our new house, which is just going to display yarn.

I check Mobileread every day. I year or so ago when the update didn't work, I would never have known if I hadn't checked.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #62
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Yup, that would be me, they aren't hurting anyone, and I might get around to reading all of them. At least they will be there for me to do so!

I subscribe to the I'd rather have them/it and not need/want them/it rather than not have them at all!
I agree with ebooks. Boxing up my pbooks before the move was painful. Most painful was finding someone to take them!
Advert
Old 09-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #63
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My real hording is yarn. I bought that mostly while I was working so I would have something to do when I was retired and eating dog food. I have SABLE, which is stash beyond life expectancy. In other word, unless I live to 200, I won't knit it all up. I haven't seen this yarn for 3 years, as it is in storage while we build our new house, not out of dog food. Unfortunately, out of sight out of mind, I keep buying yarn.
Yarn, fabric, floss. Yep, I hear you. I made the decision to give up crochet as it's becoming painful - so finishing a couple of projects in progress but the rest of the yarn non-sock yarn will go by the end of October. Will manage the fabric another year....
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:58 AM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Mild hoarding
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...arding-cartoon
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:58 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have a little over 5,000 ebooks in calibre. I've read all but 699 of them.

My problem is slowing the acquisition, thus: Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2023, 07:26 AM   #66
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd bet she is lurking here
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 12:17 PM   #67
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Many of us acquired a lot of Kindle/Kobo freebies 10+ years ago when there were a lot of those and the whole "free book" (and self-publishing) thing was still relatively new. I'll probably never read most of those, but I'm still not going to outright delete them..
I too collected tons of free books during the wild years (over 2000). When I was culling my library, I only deleted books I purposely obtained for other family members other than my Mom. I have a separate Calibre library for the freebies that are not authors I currently read. I do a random pick of 6 every year. They've all been good reads with few keepers. I really had to delete a lot of those freebies from my Amazon account as it was just taking over. If I find a book that is a keeper, Amazon has been able to restore it to account.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:48 PM   #68
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And when you are too attached even to paper books:
Click image for larger version

Name:	viber_image_2023-09-02_20-21-21-230.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	203509

I may get his book, "Revenge of the Librarians"
Old 09-03-2023, 04:39 AM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
—Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam
Old 09-03-2023, 12:15 PM   #70
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
I agree with ebooks. Boxing up my pbooks before the move was painful. Most painful was finding someone to take them!
The last time I moved, I did a massive clean up/dump of my books. I had some in a storage locker that had been there for 20 years, they went straight into the garbage room. Then I went through my bookcase, and dumped all the ones that were NOT my favorites and dumped them.

So now I still have a full bookcase of books that are my favorites but still don't get read because I can't bring myself to read the small print on them.

Anytime I come across one as an ebook, I grab it up!

I don't waste my time trying to find someone to take my old junk, I simply get rid of it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:31 PM   #71
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried to palm off over 1000 books to a local charity shop but after the first fifty they said no more so the rest were dumped in a skip.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #72
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

I don't waste my time trying to find someone to take my old junk, I simply get rid of it.
Somehow, I remember learning it was a sin to throw away a book. Don't recall where I heard it, but I do remember throwing a book away in my 20s that was missing the last chapter. It was a new book. But I didn't see any use for it.

When I decided to let my books go, at my husbands suggestion, I realized I would never be able to read them, as I like reading in bed, and that requires BIG PRINT in low light. I told my husband as soon as I found my bible, I would let them go. It was in the first box I looked in.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #73
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
I tried to palm off over 1000 books to a local charity shop but after the first fifty they said no more so the rest were dumped in a skip.
My husband found a place that would take them. They had to be neatly boxed up-took all of my small boxes, and they picked them up. They probably threw them out, but I don't care. I didn't have to. The library said only stuff from the last 3 years. But these were brand new, bestsellers from the last 20 years. Never read, and since acquired in ebook form. Or not.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:55 PM   #74
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
20,000 but most are Huge Box Sets that only count as 1 ebook

Hoarder No! I always reading so some have been read several times.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:19 AM   #75
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Somehow, I remember learning it was a sin to throw away a book. Don't recall where I heard it, but I do remember throwing a book away in my 20s that was missing the last chapter. It was a new book. But I didn't see any use for it.

When I decided to let my books go, at my husbands suggestion, I realized I would never be able to read them, as I like reading in bed, and that requires BIG PRINT in low light. I told my husband as soon as I found my bible, I would let them go. It was in the first box I looked in.
Eons ago when books were scarce, and libraries didn't exist it would be a sin to get rid of books. That is no longer the case. So, into the garbage they go.

Reading is an individual endeavor, and it's highly unlikely that you will find someone that has the same reading tastes as you, and if they did, they would have their own copies and so they wouldn't need yours.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote