Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #211
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshed View Post
What you guys are talking about is a marketing issue not a technical one. All Sony has to do is make it a menu item called 'developer mode' or something, so that people can create custom applications for it. As long as they don't advertise it as a main feature that sort of review bias won't happen.
It's an eInk display, for goodness sake, any app requiring a high refresh rate will look terrible on the device. I don't think hiding the feature behind a menu option will prevent people from writing nasty reviews. Nothing prevents people from writing nasty reviews, from my personal experience as a software developer.

Plus, I'm sure there are technical problems with opening up the device because there are all kinds of app incompatibility issues with different versions of Android. There are literally over a thousand different hardware devices that run Android, why is there an overwhelming need to open up this one?

Last edited by LarryNYC; 06-08-2017 at 05:23 AM.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #212
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
What you guys are talking about is a marketing issue not a technical one. All Sony has to do is make it a menu item called 'developer mode' or something, so that people can create custom applications for it. As long as they don't advertise it as a main feature that sort of review bias won't happen.
…and a menu item "frisbee mode". Hidden in a sub-menu of "developer mode", of course. As long as they don't advertise it as a frisbee, they shouldn't have to worry about people complaining it breaks too easily… in theory…
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #213
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is now a wiki page for Sony DPT-RP1.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:02 AM   #214
agentofhope
agentofhope began at the beginning.

Device: Sony dpt
Backorder at bhphoto

Ack! Just got an email from bhphoto about backorder status; I had preordered may 24.
agentofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #215
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentofhope View Post
Ack! Just got an email from bhphoto about backorder status; I had preordered may 24.
Have they given you a revised delivery date?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #216
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Amazon still seems on track but perhaps they just haven't told me yet.

It would be nice to see Sony sell a lot of units so that they stay in the game in the future.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #217
agentofhope
agentofhope began at the beginning.

Device: Sony dpt
Bhphoto just clarified that "backorder status" = preorder and that my dpt is still set to be sent June 22.
agentofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #218
hskk
hskk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Smile

Quote:
Bhphoto just clarified that "backorder status" = preorder and that my dpt is still set to be sent June 22.
me to, I just chatted with the customer service of B&H and they told me the same thing.
I made the order on May 25.

Last edited by hskk; 06-09-2017 at 12:10 PM.
hskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #219
Peter Silie
Peter Silie began at the beginning.

Device: sony digital paper
Just read about the new reader today. I am very happy with my DTP S1, but thinking update "upgrading" to the new RP1 now.
Higher resolution mainly for better writing and two buttons on the pen are two things I always missed a bit on the S1.
If I preorder now on B&H with credit card, when will the card be charged? I have a limit on my credit card and would need to contact the company first to raise that limit.
Peter Silie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #220
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most companies don't charge until they are ready to ship.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #221
Peter Silie
Peter Silie began at the beginning.

Device: sony digital paper
I know. But before I get some cancellation-fee or blocked for future orders I want to be 100% sure.
Peter Silie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #222
LarryNYC
Groupie

Does anybody know if the new version also connects to Box.com through WebDAV? Somebody posted a review on the Sony site saying that the new version would not email documents. I didn't know we could email, I always upload to Box and share a link with my colleagues.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #223
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
LarryNYC from what you are saying it sounds like they previously allowed you to access custom cloud services not just the one that comes with it, is this true?

If so I could run my own cloud server and do whatever I want in terms of custom document and notes analysis...

Otherwise does Sony's cloud service itself have an API? That would be handy too.
I just pulled this off of the Sony Digital Paper Twitter account, so it looks like we'll have options!

"Using a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® connection and the Digital Paper App, sync docs with a computer for easy sharing with devices / cloud services."
Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #224
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post
I just pulled this off of the Sony Digital Paper Twitter account, so it looks like we'll have options!

"Using a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® connection and the Digital Paper App, sync docs with a computer for easy sharing with devices / cloud services."
Yes, there seems to be a app for the computer that allows this. It will either come or be available as a download.

Dale
Old 06-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #225
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
It would be nice if you could just sync with Dropbox. I don't know why a desktop app is needed in order to do that. It's okay if it's just to sync to your own server. It would be optimal if we didn't need to use WebDAV with Box.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote