Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #196
FenderP
FenderP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post
By the way, what is a good Bluetooth pedal?
The "classic" is the AirTurn BT-105, which seems to have been replaced with either the DUO or the PED. If you look on Amazon, there are a ton of BT pedals, all of which have decent ratings.

Quote:
While we're on the topic of music, I would like to mention StaffPad, an amazing program that recognizes music written with a stylus and turns my written scrawl into beautiful notation. The program is nothing short of magical. It only runs on Windows Surface line of tablets, though.
Well, it runs on any pen-enabled Windows machine. It's very primitive IMO compared too Sibelius, Finale, or Dorico, and its price is not expensive. Look at the cost of the big boys. It's actually cheap compared to the others. Pen enabled input is its only advantage over the others. I'm starting the process of swithcing from Sibelius to Dorico soon.
FenderP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #197
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
The "classic" is the AirTurn BT-105, which seems to have been replaced with either the DUO or the PED. If you look on Amazon, there are a ton of BT pedals, all of which have decent ratings.

Well, it runs on any pen-enabled Windows machine. It's very primitive IMO compared too Sibelius, Finale, or Dorico, and its price is not expensive. Look at the cost of the big boys. It's actually cheap compared to the others. Pen enabled input is its only advantage over the others. I'm starting the process of swithcing from Sibelius to Dorico soon.
''

Yeah, I figured there were a ton of options out there for Bluetooth pedals. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pen enabled input is what makes StaffPad a joy to use compared to the big boys. If I want to spend five minutes putting in a measure, I'll look at one of those other packages.

StaffPad was created from the point of view of a composer who wanted an input device that was as fast as a pencil, and, I have to say, they have done an admirable job achieving that goal. Sure, it doesn't have all the features of Sibelius, but the truth is that I don't need all those features.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #198
FenderP
FenderP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Pen enabled input is what makes StaffPad a joy to use compared to the big boys. If I want to spend five minutes putting in a measure, I'll look at one of those other packages.

StaffPad was created from the point of view of a composer who wanted an input device that was as fast as a pencil, and, I have to say, they have done an admirable job achieving that goal. Sure, it doesn't have all the features of Sibelius, but the truth is that I don't need all those features.
I'm familiar with StaffPad. I need the features of Sibelius or Dorico, so while the ability to use a pen is good if you have such a device (I've got a few lol), it isn't better than the big boys because I use quite a few of those features and they greatly outweigh the pen input. After all these years I'm pretty efficient with keyboard shortcuts. To each his or her own.
FenderP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:17 AM   #199
kcroker
kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony Digital Paper System
Talking First experiences with DPT-RP1

Hey guys!

I'm at U. Tokyo today, and the new SONY reader has just been released. Here is a brief review and a feature wishlist / status (for both the original version and the new device):

www.phys.hawaii.edu/~kcroker/sonydps/

Hopefully, this will help clarify many of the pros and cons of the device.

Regarding my relation to the device, I wrote the dpsprep software, which converts DJVU to PDF with internal link structure and searchability preserved. I talk to SONY corporate pretty frequently about this device. In particular, I've been heavily pressing for them to open up the platform.

Word is bond.
-k

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-05-2017 at 12:41 PM.
kcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #200
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroker View Post
I talk to SONY corporate pretty frequently about this device. In particular, I've been heavily pressing for them to open up the platform.

Word is bond.
-k
Great read. Thank you.
I would love to use (as extensively as you) new Digital Paper (since it features Bluetooth now) as a musician. Did you have a chance to pair it with Bluetooth page turner? I heard Sony did not enable Bluetooth page turning! I can't buy it if this does not work.

Totally agree about internet browsing and open platform.
Do you think that 2nd generation is also based on Android?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #201
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like 1st batch is sold out at Sony's Japan shop.
In less than 24 hours.
We have a hit.

Last edited by fgdas; 06-05-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #202
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd imagine that pre-orders would take priority over retail sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #203
olav-norway
olav-norway began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Hey guys!

I'm at U. Tokyo today, and the new SONY reader has just been released. Here is a brief review and a feature wishlist / status (for both the original version and the new device):

Word is bond.
-k
Thanks, that helps a lot. I would also be using this device for calculations, among other things. Not sure I'll buy one before vertical scrolling and buttom customization (on the stylus) is fixed, though. But I guess that's a lot to hope for - vertical scrolling could have been implemented in any of the previous version's updates, but wasn't...
olav-norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #204
fgdas
Addict

There's a live YouTube stream at the moment at:
https://youtu.be/-s0W3wyTws0

Last edited by fgdas; 06-05-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #205
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Hey guys!

Regarding my relation to the device, I wrote the dpsprep software, which converts DJVU to PDF with internal link structure and searchability preserved. I talk to SONY corporate pretty frequently about this device. In particular, I've been heavily pressing for them to open up the platform.

Word is bond.
-k
Nice work! Thanks a lot. I'm totally psyched to receive the new device. Like you, it has changed the way I work, for the better, and I won't be going back to paper.

Has Sony open sourced any other pieces of their software? I'm skeptical that they'll let go of control but it's an interesting thought. If somebody implemented support for Bluetooth page turning pedals for use with music, quite a few people on the forum would be thankful.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #206
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshed View Post
If it's running Android all they need to do is allow us to install apps...
I doubt that they want people to start using the thing as an Android tablet because they probably don't want to waste resources supporting people who try to run Android apps that don't work on the device. Android is a nightmare for compatibility, that's why I prefer iOS devices. ;-)

Last edited by LarryNYC; 06-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 AM   #207
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
The auto-translated (to English) subtitles at least were amusing. Looking forward to the first English review ^^
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #208
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Then feel free to go get an ipad and apple pencil.

I want apps, many people want apps.

Those who don't can just not use them.
No, you missed my point. I want Sony's device for what it is optimized to do, take notes and be a replacement for paper, not for running Android apps. If you want to run all sorts of Android apps, go buy an Android tablet.

Just because it runs Android does not mean they have to open it up to people to use as a general purpose Android tablet. I would prefer that they don't if it will somehow compromise its core functionality and cause them support headaches, which I think it will.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 06-06-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #209
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
No, you missed my point. I want Sony's device for what it is optimized to do, take notes and be a replacement for paper, not for running Android apps. If you want to run all sorts of Android apps, go buy an Android tablet.

Just because it runs Android does not mean they have to open it up to people to use as a general purpose Android tablet. I would prefer that they don't if it will somehow compromise its core functionality and cause them support headaches, which I think it will.
Probably worse than the support headaches will be the reviews of those who buy the device and then discover that it isn't all that good for watching movies or browsing or playing games,..., and that the battery doesn't last as long as advertised, etc. Those who wish strongly for something are usually the most scathing when their wishes are not fulfilled.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #210
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Probably worse than the support headaches will be the reviews of those who buy the device and then discover that it isn't all that good for watching movies or browsing or playing games,..., and that the battery doesn't last as long as advertised, etc. Those who wish strongly for something are usually the most scathing when their wishes are not fulfilled.
What you mention is exactly what I had in mind when I wrote support headaches. Why invite criticism from people with regards to functionality that is not part of your fundamental requirements? I would rather Sony devotes their development resources to making the digital paper app better in future firmware updates.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 06-07-2017 at 01:46 AM.