Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #181
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post

As for lighting, they sell stand lights so lighting is not an issue. Here's one example:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...0light&index=2
I was curious because the big e-ink readers don't come with built in front lighting since the LEDs can't reach far enough and the GVIDO is the biggest of them all.

I would have loved if the GVIDO was more of a general e-ink device since I want to use it as a secondary monitor outdoors.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #182
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
$699 for premium device which can read PDF, note taking and life saver if you need to carry tonnes of documents.
Out of interest, what sort of tax would you normally be paying on this in the US?

I had a look earlier at the cost to the UK and there was an additional $256 or so in tax, duty & shipping, if I recall correctly, making an delivered price of $966 - it's nice, but not that nice!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #183
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Sony did ask for my contact info to talk to me about my use case, but it's clear it's possible, they chose not to. Musicians are not their #1 use case.
I've talked to Sony about it at https://twitter.com/sonydigpaper/ and one of the Sony team should get back to me too.
Anybody who would like to use Bluetooth pedal should ask Sony about it. The Bluetooth hardware is finally there.

Can't imagine using any Windows device for the sheet music. Total overkill.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #184
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Out of interest, what sort of tax would you normally be paying on this in the US?

I had a look earlier at the cost to the UK and there was an additional $256 or so in tax, duty & shipping, if I recall correctly, making an delivered price of $966 - it's nice, but not that nice!
Not a lot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S..._tax_rates.pdf

I calculated that it is just as expensive to fly from Amsterdam to NY and back, as it is to pay the import fees for shipping the damn thing.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #185
FenderP
FenderP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshed View Post
Damn I would love to get the pedal just for reading, it would be much easier to focus if i didnt have to reach out and touch the thing while reading. But then again I have pretty serious ADD lol. Maybe Sony will add support later on, seems like a fair chunk of buyers are using it for music.
Quote:
Then again I wonder if pedals support going backwards too?
Yes, BT pedals can go backwards and forwards.

Quote:
I've talked to Sony about it at https://twitter.com/sonydigpaper/ and one of the Sony team should get back to me too.
Anybody who would like to use Bluetooth pedal should ask Sony about it. The Bluetooth hardware is finally there.

It is - hence me looking for something "simpler". The GVIDO really is what I want. But if I can get the DPT-RP1 to basically do it at half the cost with BT pedals like I use now ... win, win.
FenderP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #186
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who would like to see internals of DPT-RP1 can do so at FCC website:
https://fccid.io/AK8DPTRP1
Old 06-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #187
juegos
Connoisseur
juegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
So Sony has so far sent out the device to only 1 reviewer in Japan and the device is about to be released? Absurd. Does their marketing team suck a lot?

Their main competitor, the ReMarkable tablet, has received coverage from the BBC, Verge, TechCrunch and tons of other outlets so far.

Last edited by juegos; 06-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.
juegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #188
fgdas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juegos View Post
So Sony has so far sent out the device to only 1 reviewer in Japan and the device is about to be released? Absurd. Does their marketing team suck a lot?

Their main competitor, the ReMarkable tablet, has received coverage from the BBC, Verge, TechCrunch and tons of other outlets so far.
You nailed it. Remarketable received ton of coverage but no review was actually published if you read carefully. Just marketing blah blah. Their device was never tested.

On the other hand Sony's was shown​ already at the fairs and is a REAL product on sale THIS Monday.
What is more absurd?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #189
juegos
Connoisseur
juegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
It may interest you to know that the DPT-RP1 has trended 4 times on Twitter since pre-orders started. I would rather Sony spend their money making a good product then making a bunch of empty promises about a device that doesnt even exist yet like a certain other company.
If you get coverage from the BBC and tons of other outlets in return for that, what would you do? And the reMarkable tablet that in your words 'doesn't even exist yet' does in fact exist, just look at the video of the BBC below.

If I were Sony I would spend some money on marketing and get the attention of a broader audience than just the people on this forum - the more people buy the product, the more incentive they have to keep updating and supporting it.

Last edited by juegos; 06-03-2017 at 04:02 PM.
juegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #190
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:

I'm definitely interested in trying it with a Bluetooth pedal! Who do I write to?

I took the DPT-S1 to one of my classical guitar lessons and my teacher was impressed with the speed at which we could mark up the music. Things will get even better with the new model!

The new stylus looks like it has a rocker button, does it? If so, what are the two modes? One is erase, what is the other?

The lag time has definitely been reduced, when turning pages and when writing, from what I see in that review video.

I'm also happy that they made the screen flat, I have trouble writing in the margins on the current model.

I appreciate the fact that Sony has continued to refine the device.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #191
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post

The new stylus looks like it has a rocker button, does it? If so, what are the two modes? One is erase, what is the other?
The other one is supposedly used for highlights.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #192
FenderP

Sony's always had a terrible marketing arm - at least for the past 15+ years. Often times superior products, but nowhere to be found and/or no one knows about them. THe DPT-RP1 and S1 are no exceptions.

The reMarkable has WiFi but no BT, etc. Spec-wise, I like the Sony better. Yet here's some of the recent coverage in the past few days via Bing:
http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=re...blet&FORM=EWRE

Oh well. Then again, Sony is not targeting the mass market with the RP1. In some ways, it's smarter. They may not sell as many devices (potentially), but they are going after industries where it makes sense. The reMarkable is going after the Windows 2-in-1s and the iPad crowd IMO

Part of me wants to get back in on the preorder to see if Sony enabled BT pedal connectivity.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #193
FenderP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post
I'm definitely interested in trying it with a Bluetooth pedal! Who do I write to?
A few of us just tweeted the official Sony Digital Paper Twitter account and they PMed us. Sony still has not written to me after I gave them my contact, but even if they just gather numbers that people are interested, it's better than nothing. It's a software fix (but not saying it's a simple one ...).
Old 06-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #194
fgdas
Addict

Quote:
A few of us just tweeted the official Sony Digital Paper Twitter account and they PMed us. Sony still has not written to me after I gave them my contact, but even if they just gather numbers that people are interested, it's better than nothing. It's a software fix (but not saying it's a simple one ...).
I have sent direct message to https://twitter.com/sonydigpaper/.
It is a simple software fix. From the quick start guide found at FCC website and its legal notices Sony states that DPT-RP1 contains Adobe Reader Mobile software. They also used Foxit PDF SDK.
Either on Android or Windows you can use many Bluetooth page turners now with Adobe or Foxit Readers.
It's only Sony's willingness to enable it. I'm gobsmacked why Sony would want to disable this. Do you remember Sony's MP3 fiasco?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #195
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Good idea, I will ask them on Twitter too. Maybe we won't get it day one but perhaps in an update. How long did it take to get firmware updates in the S1 by the way?
I have tweeted at them. More tweets could only help our cause. There were quite a few firmware updates to the S1, but I bought the device late so I'm not sure how long it took to get out the first firmware update.

By the way, what is a good Bluetooth pedal?

While we're on the topic of music, I would like to mention StaffPad, an amazing program that recognizes music written with a stylus and turns my written scrawl into beautiful notation. The program is nothing short of magical. It only runs on Windows Surface line of tablets, though.

Here it is running on the Surface Studio, a 28" screen that has stylus input..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7HAKmAdhs

I know a composer who bought the Surface Studio so he could write orchestral scores on screen in the same size that they appear on paper. He's very happy with the device. He doesn't use StaffPad yet. I want to use StaffPad so I can have a duet partner when working on ensemble pieces. Warning, it is expensive.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 06-04-2017 at 09:20 AM.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote