Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #166
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
And he apologized for initially claiming the speed difference was negligent. That was only true for text based PDF files, those that are graphic based were handled twice as fast.
Your English is so good that I sometimes forget it's a foreign language for you. The correct word here is "negligible", not "negligent". That means something entirely different .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #167
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter

Device: Boox N96
That last video almost caused me to purchase this. Such a beautiful and unique device. I probably wouldn't get $699 worth of use out of it, but I sure would enjoy owning it...
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #168
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshed View Post
Koji Seto released another vid. Unlike the last one he actually uses the device in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPFAqQvnD_c
Great discovery!

Aside, I didn't know DPT-S1 was so slow loading pages... It seems as slow as Onyx and I thought it was much faster considering what people write in this forum. I expected, too, DPT-RP1 would be much faster regarding its quadruple core processor.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #169
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your English is so good that I sometimes forget it's a foreign language for you. The correct word here is "negligible", not "negligent". That means something entirely different .
Appreciate the correction, it was late at night and I suspect my left brain half was already sleeping. I looked at it before posting, thinking this isn't quite right but they'll know what I mean. Now they do, thanks HarryT.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:52 AM   #170
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Great discovery!

Aside, I didn't know DPT-S1 was so slow loading pages... It seems as slow as Onyx and I thought it was much faster considering what people write in this forum. I expected, too, DPT-RP1 would be much faster regarding its quadruple core processor.
I would like to see how the device performs from real user tests. There are rumours that DPT-RP1 use Android 2.x. If I remember correctly the old Android was not able to benefit from multicore so the only benefit from the quad core processor would be the screen split mode when two apps run side by side.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 03:37 AM   #171
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I would like to see how the device performs from real user tests. There are rumours that DPT-RP1 use Android 2.x. If I remember correctly the old Android was not able to benefit from multicore so the only benefit from the quad core processor would be the screen split mode when two apps run side by side.
It was only 1st gen. of Digital Paper DPT-S1 reported use of Android 2.2.1

Please let us know your findings of Android on 2nd gen called DPT-RP1.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #172
FenderP
FenderP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I preordered the DPT-RP1 hoping I could use it as a sheet music reader. I love the new GVIDO coming in September (http://www.gvido.tokyo/) but not its $1,600 price tag before the cover and the optional designed-for-it pedal, so it's probably closer to $2,000. I have a need for it sooner.

I've been using either a Surface Pro 3 or another 2-in-1. I would prefer eInk, and in the past played around with the DPT-S1 but it wouldn't fit the bill. When I saw that the DPT-RP1 would support bluetooth, I was hoping it would support a page turner pedal like I employ now. Also, the split as well as the ability to see 2 pages also would be nifty to use on the RP1. On proverbial paper, it's an ideal device at - to me - a decent price point.

Since this may save some of you heartache, I asked the @sonydigpaper Twitter account about its support for BT page turners. Here's what they said to me in a private message:
Quote:
Thanks for your recent inquiry. Unfortunately at this time, the DPT-RP1's Bluetooth functionality does not work in conjunction with BT pedals.
Needless to say, I cancelled my preorder since it's not going to work for me. I don't want to have to always touch the screen to flip pages while playing (Not always possible or convenient). Using BT pedals when I play has been great when using a PC.

At nearly $800 (Amazon pricing), the Onyx Boox Max could work but the reviews seem underwhelming (although since it is Android 4.x, I could use MobileSheets).

Guess I'll start saving my pennies for the GVIDO ...

Last edited by FenderP; 06-02-2017 at 09:11 AM.
FenderP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #173
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Are you planning to use it playing in an orchestra?

Asking because if you are below a stage wouldn't you need a fair amount of external light on the GVIDO? In that scenario I'd imagine the large iPad Pro to be a better choice with Bluetooth and all.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #174
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Asking because if you are below a stage wouldn't you need a fair amount of external light on the GVIDO? In that scenario I'd imagine the large iPad Pro to be a better choice with Bluetooth and all.
Yes, a friend of mine, who plays the saxophone and clarinet, uses an iPad and a BT foot pedal when he plays. He finds it very effective.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #175
FenderP

Quote:

I am in a few jazz ensembles (mix of big band and small stuff), but have done pit bands in the past.

If you read my post, I talk about my current setup which works just fine including a BT pedal. I am looking for something better and more purpose-specific. I was clear about preferring eInk displays, hence the RP1/GVIDO. So thanks for the suggestion, but I already have the equivalent of an iPad setup (and I hate iPads anyway).

The GVIDO is far superior, especially because it has two displays. For those of us who have music that is long or more than one page (as mine often is), having a two page display is an amazing thing.

As for lighting, they sell stand lights so lighting is not an issue. Here's one example:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...0light&index=2
Old 06-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #176
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
The GVIDO is far superior, especially because it has two displays. For those of us who have music that is long or more than one page (as mine often is), having a two page display is an amazing thing.
I'm on the same boat. Also waiting for 13.3" EInk Android to use with MobileSheets which runs well on Max but not keen to buy current Max Carta.
Probably because of the old hardware does not pair well with certain page turners (Airturn).
Max Carta also does not support hand touch.
Netronix has no Bluetooth. Waiting for Sony to be jailbrokn.

GVIDO had similar marketing campaign last year and failed to produce the device. It's hard to believe they would sell for such a price.

You know you can pair more Android devices with MobileSheets as master and slave and have more pages synchronised.
You can have 3 Max Carta on sync beside each other for the same price as GVIDO.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #177
olav-norway
olav-norway began at the beginning.

Device: None
Wanted to comment on an older post about zoom functionality:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshed View Post
Watch the Youtube video, a guy tries to do it multiple times and it fails. You have to use their silly box thing. I REALLY wish there was at least one physical button that could be used for page turning or zoom. This is my one gripe with the unit, I don't even care about microSD that much.
I agree that the "box zoom" seems unconvinient in some situations. When I'm just reading a document without taking notes, i. e. in my armchair or bed, I don't want to depend on the stylus every time I need to zoom.

Is it possible that pinch zoom could be added in a later software update? According to others the device has the technology needed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I believe they are referring to the fact that you can use it EITHER with PEN or YOUR FINGER (i.e. dual = 2 methods of touch) rather than multipoint touch (i.e. it could detect multiple different finger touch's at the same time which would be required for pinch to zoom). I can't comment on whether it has pinch to zoom or not.
Has anyone found a source that confirms this?

Last edited by olav-norway; 06-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.
olav-norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #178
fgdas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
When I saw that the DPT-RP1 would support bluetooth, I was hoping it would support a page turner pedal like I employ now.

Since this may save some of you heartache, I asked the @sonydigpaper Twitter account about its support for BT page turners. Here's what they said to me in a private message:

Needless to say, I cancelled my preorder since it's not going to work for me. I don't want to have to always touch the screen to flip pages while playing (Not always possible or convenient). Using BT pedals when I play has been great when using a PC.
There's a hope in enabling Bluetooth page turners as Sony advertises new Digital Paper as musicians friendly:
http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/scene/#cnt04
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #179
FenderP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
I'm on the same boat. Also waiting for 13.3" EInk Android to use with MobileSheets which runs well on Max but not keen to buy current Max Carta.
Probably because of the old hardware does not pair well with certain page turners (Airturn).
Max Carta also does not support hand touch.
Netronix has no Bluetooth. Waiting for Sony to be jailbrokn.

GVIDO had similar marketing campaign last year and failed to produce the device. It's hard to believe they would sell for such a price.

You know you can pair more Android devices with MobileSheets as master and slave and have more pages synchronised.
You can have 3 Max Carta on sync beside each other for the same price as GVIDO.
I'm not surprised given it's specific purpose and optimized. It's just unaffordable for most at nearly $2k all in. I applaud the effort, but ...

I am a Windows more than an Android guy, and was happy Mobilesheets came to Windows, but my SP3 is still at 8.1 (never bothered to update it to 10 since it's a tertiary PC for me). He didn't port the master/slave thing. For the big band gigs, I have been using Music Reader (http://www.musicreader.net/) for a few years. It's not bad.

I just saw this: http://www.songrepertoire.com/, which I may try out.

As an aside, where are you seeing the Max Carta that cheap?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #180
FenderP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
There's a hope in enabling Bluetooth page turners as Sony advertises new Digital Paper as musicians friendly:
http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/scene/#cnt04
Sony did ask for my contact info to talk to me about my use case, but it's clear it's possible, they chose not to. Musicians are not their #1 use case. Interestingly enough, the GVIDO is being manufactured by Vaio IIRC, so there is the Sony tie-in.

And the pic Sony uses there is for annotating a piece of music, which is a natural use case. Turning pages isn't always possible by hand if you are, say, playing an instrument where two handed use is necessary. This is why pedals are the norm for people that use devices for this purpose.

EDIT: If you look at the translation, it speaks to what I say above:
Write on the score

Write points of instrument performance on score

It is also perfect for the size of the score because it is an A4 size large screen. I can see the details of the score clearly. You can also write handwritten points, such as instruction points or commanders' instructions, during practice.

Last edited by FenderP; 06-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.