Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2023, 01:18 AM   #46
gmitchell
gmitchell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019; Android Tablet (for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Ugh, Garth Ennis' work just isn't for me. He's a good writer, but his work is loaded with shock and offense for the sake of it. I haven't yet read (or watched) The Boys, but I remember him saying his goal was to out-Preacher Preacher, which told me all I need to know.
The TV show is a massive improvement over the comics. Most storylines deviate quite a bit from the source material and others share only a name. The comics are shock for its own sake, basically a hate letter to superheroes, while the show is a satire of superhero tropes, celebrity worship, and modern corporate culture and how those things intertwine. At this point, the show has deviated so much from the source material that it's pretty much its own thing.

That said, it is very graphically violent and there are sections with a sexual component that are very much over the top. It's not for everyone, and I can hardly blame someone for just saying "nope" to the whole idea.
gmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:45 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmitchell View Post
The TV show is a massive improvement over the comics. Most storylines deviate quite a bit from the source material and others share only a name. The comics are shock for its own sake, basically a hate letter to superheroes, while the show is a satire of superhero tropes, celebrity worship, and modern corporate culture and how those things intertwine. At this point, the show has deviated so much from the source material that it's pretty much its own thing.

That said, it is very graphically violent and there are sections with a sexual component that are very much over the top. It's not for everyone, and I can hardly blame someone for just saying "nope" to the whole idea.
Sounds promising (I don't mean sex and violence ). As to the graphic content, I only have one "trigger", and that's animal abuse. The rest I can usually live with.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:52 AM   #48
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
sometimes but no more than 2 at a time
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:10 AM   #49
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

Giving you a break from anything challenging or educational or heavy is what television is for.
Unfortunately, I rather dislike watching most TV. Given the option of reading a bit of fun fluff and watching a bit of fun fluff, reading will always win.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:04 AM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmitchell View Post

I'm about to start the third season of the Boys now. While it will never be my all-time favorite show, it's quite good; yeah, violence is really over the top, but that's intentional, I believe. I've especially enjoyed the performance of the actor who plays Homelander, he's brilliant. The protagonist Karl Urban I remember from the LoTR trilogy 20 years ago, but his character this time couldn't be more different.

As I don't read comics, I've no idea what the source material is like and how much was changed, so can't comment on that.

Thanks for recommending the show, it's been quite enjoyable.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:33 AM   #51
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm about to start the third season of the Boys now. While it will never be my all-time favorite show, it's quite good;
Great that you like it!!
For me it is up there as one of my favourite shows. I remember just before watching the first season, I had little idea what it was about and was expecting just another Captain America type show. I watched it over two days, then immediately rewatched the first season.
Yep, Anthony Starr (Homelander) is brilliant. The look... is he evil, is he good...
Another show that had the same effect for me was Childhoods End, if you are interested (filmed in Melbourne)... https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/63647-...language=en-US
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Another show that had the same effect for me was Childhoods End, if you are interested (filmed in Melbourne)... https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/63647-...language=en-US
I'll take a look. I've heard they changed a lot of things from the original book (which I read long ago and liked, though not as much as The City and the Stars, which is in my all-time top ten), so haven't watched it yet. I'm not always bothered when the movie/show makers change things, but when the result has lost any resemblance to the original (and I'm familiar with the original), I may ditch it. The Foundation series was unwatchable for me, because there was basically nothing left from the original books. As an original show, it might have been good, but as an adaptation, it was terrible.

As far as adaptations go, I mostly like the ones staying more or less true to the original (Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, the first 4 seasons of The Game of Thrones, the latest Dune movie, the first Jurassic Park movie; House of Dragons was also quite good and The Wheel of Time was at least watchable) or the ones where I'm not familiar with the original (The Boys, Dexter, The Last Kingdom, the first seasons of several Netflix's superhero shows - unfortunately most of those went downhill after that). Very, very rarely the original is meh, but the adaptation is excellent (Dangerous Liaisons with John Malkovich and Glenn Close - one of my all-time favorite movies).

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I'll try Childhood's End.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-02-2023 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Got Malkovich's name wrong, duh...
Old 08-02-2023, 05:12 PM   #53
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
IMO the Jurassic Park movie surpasses the book. Crichton included too much unnecessary technical jargon that doesn't advance the plot in that particular novel. In contrast, The Lost World is far superior as a novel, since Crichton trimmed a lot of the fat from the first book, and the movie goes off the rails.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:55 AM   #54
SleepyCatgirl
SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense A9, Onyx Tab Ultra(Broken), Kobo Clara HD
As for me, it is a bit.. silly. As I am reading 7+2 books at once.
Why? Because it works for me.
Sometimes, I am in mood for some other book, so I shift focus on what am I reading (e.g 30 min of what I want, then few pages there and there of what I feel less so)
It also works, kind of like... spray n pray. So, I tend to have.. trouble to start... doing things. But I found, that going through each book, few pages each, helps me jumpstart the mood, and focus, and, sometimes it takes.. 2-3 tries thorough the day, it does work.

And it is helpful when I feel distracted. Like.. I can actually read, despite being in the state, where I can't focus on one thing for more than 5 minutes.

As, for why I wrote 7+2, because, 7 is in english, 2 are in Japanese. And... those two serve different use case for me at the moment. One is just what I am used to, style-wise, and another is.. to finally level up being able to read katakana itself, as I always just abused dictionary for those.

All in all, I have fun
SleepyCatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:51 AM   #55
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Sometimes I do if a book bores me I will pick up another or if the subject matter is totally different on the 2nd book. I don't do it that often.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote