Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #166
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Is there any way to disable Fast Page Turn? Not only is it poorly implemented, the Forma's buttons make it completely redundant.
There is a pretty simple solution, no patching required.
Go to \.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf , and under "Reading" add this line - disableQuickTurn=true

Edit:
Open "Kobo eReader.conf" preferably with Notepad++ or similar
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:52 AM   #167
fluffier
fluffier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello,

I would like to request the following: when I am reading a book and look for the meaning of a word by pressing it, I would like that the size of the dictionary letters matches the size of the letters you are reading while reading the book.

I dont know if this can be done now but I have not been able to find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance
fluffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #168
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffier View Post
Hello,

I would like to request the following: when I am reading a book and look for the meaning of a word by pressing it, I would like that the size of the dictionary letters matches the size of the letters you are reading while reading the book.

I dont know if this can be done now but I have not been able to find an answer anywhere.
I'm not completely sure what you're asking for. Are you simply asking for a means to change the font-size of the dictionary pop-up? Or are you asking for a patch where the dictionary font-size will vary according to the font-size you set in the standard [Aa] font menu?

If it's the former, there's already a patch to do that - 'Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta' patch in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. You can read some background (with pictures) in this old thread.

If it's the latter, I have no idea how that could be done.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #169
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Just as a follow up to my request to look into syncing between Kobo ereaders and the Moon Reader Pro Android app, the developer of Moon Reader got back to me with the following:

hi, there's no standard for Epub reading progress or highlights yet, so the reader can't share its reading state to other readers.

Thank you!
Regards
Seany

I don't know enough to know whether that's technically accurate (Moon Reader can sync pages between multiple Android devices running the program), but I take it, at minimum, as a very polite "I'm not really interested."

Oh well. No harm in asking....(at least I don't think there is )
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #170
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Just as a follow up to my request to look into syncing between Kobo ereaders and the Moon Reader Pro Android app, the developer of Moon Reader got back to me with the following:

hi, there's no standard for Epub reading progress or highlights yet, so the reader can't share its reading state to other readers.

Thank you!
Regards
Seany

I don't know enough to know whether that's technically accurate (Moon Reader can sync pages between multiple Android devices running the program), but I take it, at minimum, as a very polite "I'm not really interested."
Yes, it's technically accurate In the absence of a standard, the epub reading apps which can sync pages have all developed their own bespoke method - hence the absence of inter-app sync-ing.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #171
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post

Thank you!
Regards
Seany

Oh well. No harm in asking....(at least I don't think there is )
That is accurate. With no standard, every implementation of syncing will only work with devices/programs that use the same implementation which makes interoperability close to impossible. So Moon Reader has it's own implementation of syncing which works with Moon Reader but it will not work with anyone else.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #172
fluffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not completely sure what you're asking for. Are you simply asking for a means to change the font-size of the dictionary pop-up? Or are you asking for a patch where the dictionary font-size will vary according to the font-size you set in the standard [Aa] font menu?

If it's the former, there's already a patch to do that - 'Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta' patch in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. You can read some background (with pictures) in this old thread.

If it's the latter, I have no idea how that could be done.
I meant the latter, but the former will suit me fine . Sorry for my english it is not my first language and thanks a lot for answering
Old 01-28-2019, 02:48 AM   #173
fluffier

Hello,

Could a patch be created to lower the brightness of the screen below 1% ? (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5% etc...)

I read mostly at night when all the lights are out, i have nightmode on and 1% brightness, but it is still too bright for me.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #174
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Hello,

Could a patch be created to lower the brightness of the screen below 1% ? (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5% etc...)

I read mostly at night when all the lights are out, i have nightmode on and 1% brightness, but it is still too bright for me.

Thanks!
That's a good idea, and might be doable depending on how the LEDs are controlled. The only issue is it may cause flickering if I make the PWM rate too slow.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-25-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Fix capitalization of LEDs.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #175
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That's a good idea, and might be doable depending on how the LEDS are controlled. The only issue is it may cause flickering if I make the PWM rate too slow.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Yes please!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 AM   #176
NLT
NLT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xppx99 View Post
1. Search Google or Duckduckgo with specific prefix:
My native language is Portuguese, but everything I read is English. I find sometimes that the dictionary lack some unique words, but most of it they lack every expression that envolves 2 or more words. This is when I need google translate or similar to translate the 2 or 3 words, or the entire phrase.

Given this context, my request is that a new submenu is created with Google Translate or duckduckGo, with the specific prefix that could be setup in patch settings:
- In case of Google Translate, the settings would be the languages of with one wants to translate (from PT to EN, for example)
- In case of duckduckgo, we could use the !bangs, for example if you search duckduckgo with the prefix !enpt SOMETINHG, it then opens google translate and translates SOMETHING from English to Portuguse
Great suggestion!
It would be a step forward in the ereader experience.
My encouragement to the developers.
NLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #177
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Arrow Patches v41: The 3 missing libadobe patches are back!

I have released patches v41. I have redone the 3 libadobe patches which have been missing for over a year and released them for 4.11.11911+ (which was possible without any extra work due to the new ReplaceBytesAtSymbol instruction in kobopatch v0.13.0).

Keep PDF pan position:
This patch prevents the pan position from being reset after each page turn.

This was the most time consuming to redo (2h), as the reset was actually done in two different locations in the code. I initially overlooked the second reset, and then once I noticed it, I kept messing up the SP (stack pointer) (and causing segfaults) when doing this a more complex way. I eventually tried using a fixed pan value to see if I covered everything (and to make sure I got the pan variable offsets right), then I did this patch again from scratch, and was more careful about my handling of pointers.

Remove PDF page turn arrows:
This patch removes the arrows shown on the left and right sides when zoomed in.

This was the easiest patch to do (~15 min), as I just needed to prevent it from enabling the arrows when zoomed in.

Remove PDF map widget shown during panning:
This patch removes the map widget shown when panning. This can be useful when reading a pdf as you drag it, as the map obstructs a significant portion of the top-left corner.

This patch was also easy to make (~20 min) once I found the code which renders the map.

---

For convenience, here are the patches:
Spoiler:
Code:
Remove PDF map widget shown during panning:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      Removes the PDF map widget shown during panning and zooming.
  # In the function which shows the widget, NOP the CBZ to end it on all conditions.
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "N3AdobeReader::showMapWidget()", Offset: 9, FindH: 28 B1, ReplaceH: 00 20}

Remove PDF page turn arrows:
      Removes the PDF page turn arrows which show on the sides when zoomed in.
  # In the function which shows the arrows, NOP the CBZ to end it on all conditions.
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "N3AdobeReader::showPageArrowsAsNeeded()", Offset: 13, FindH: 30 B1, ReplaceH: 00 20}

Keep PDF pan position:
      Prevents the pan position from being reset when going to the next/previous page.
  # Immediately call BX LR to exit function without doing anything:
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "AdobeReader::resetPan()", Offset: -1, FindH: 00 23, ReplaceH: 70 47}
  # Skip over the additional reset in the function (idk why it's there, as it seems to do the same thing as AdobeReader::resetPan):
  # Making the CMP always NE (CMP r5, #0).
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "AdobeReader::goToNextPage()", Offset: 155, FindH: 9A 42, ReplaceH: 00 2A}
  - ReplaceBytesAtSymbol: {Symbol: "AdobeReader::goToPrevPage()", Offset: 149, FindH: 9A 42, ReplaceH: 00 2A}
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 AM   #178
fluffier

windows batch and patch help

*EDIT - I am sorry I did not want to post this in this thread, can an admin delete this post? *

Hello,

First I would like to thank all the developers and patch creators, my kobo is a better reader now.

I know nothing about programming, I made a few mistakes when modifying the patches and the tgz file would not show up. When using the windows batch to create the tgz it would be very helpful if the windonws batch window stayed open so we would be able to see where the error lies (because it tells you). If you make a mistake it closes really quickly and one is unable to see what one did wrong.

I do not know if this is something that can be changed, maybe it is a windows feature and you guys can do nothing about it, in that case, forget about it.

Also, could you guys help me with the patches? I managed to get the tgz and update my kobo but there is one thing I want back and one thing I am unable to get rid of. I have gone through the patches a few times but I dont seem find what I want, let me explain, please see the attachement:

1. See the circle at the top? How do I get rid of the book title to get more space for reading?

2. See the square below? How do I get back the page progress? It used to say something like "30 / 245"

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_085218.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	169613  

Last edited by fluffier; 02-10-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #179
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
When using the windows batch to create the tgz it would be very helpful if the windonws batch window stayed open so we would be able to see where the error lies (because it tells you). If you make a mistake it closes really quickly and one is unable to see what one did wrong.

I do not know if this is something that can be changed, maybe it is a windows feature and you guys can do nothing about it, in that case, forget about it.
Right click "kobopatch.bat" file and choose edit. Then just add "PAUSE" without the quotes at the end, and save. This way it will ask to press any key before it closes.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 AM   #180
nedward
nedward began at the beginning.

Hi there,

I just bought my first ever eReader which is a Kobo Clara HD.

I'm very happy with it, but I'm missing the Overdrive menu entry since apparently this is remotely en-/disabled through the Kobo account's country setting.

I'm from Germany where there actually are a few libraries that provide Overdrive (e.g. https://bibnetz.overdrive.com and https://elibraryhh.overdrive.com), but as said, there's no Overdrive menu entry for me.

I wondered if there's a way to enable this through a patch or the manipulation of the SQLite database.

I'm a developer, but I haven't gotten my head around how to approach writing a patch myself. As I understand it, the yaml files allow the patcher to manipulate settings in binaries such as
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/nickel
and
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/nickel/libnickel.so
. But how would I go about inspecting those binary files myself?

There are some promising strings regarding Overdrive in those files, but I don't know how to approach the next step.

I am aware that I could change the invoice address of my kobo account with a fake US address but I'd rather not since I actually buy eBooks through the Kobo shop.

Thanks for any suggestions!
nedward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests