Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #34786
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Secret Clinical Strength (I like the soft solid) Sensitive Unscented. I know that Secret exists up north. Not only will it not stinkify you with unwanted smell of flowers or fresh babies' butts or whatever, but it works for stevedores. Trust me.
That Secret not available up here, at least not in any of the local drug stores. Heck, not even in London Drugs.

Quote:
I have a lot of topical stuff allergies (or just sensitivities), so...my place looks like the Cosmetics' Graveyard of dead purchases. Makeup, shampoos, skin products...the list goes on.Hitch
Try DHS Shampoo. Hypoallergenic, unscented, reasonably mild, and does the job. I totally get topical allergies. Ever since I got a really bad solvent burn when I was working at NUMMI on a broken conveyor in the main truck painting booth, I've been highly sensitized to any sort of skin irritant. (Laundry has to ALWAY get extra rinse, for example.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #34787
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I've definitely worked with a couple of people that drowned themselves in perfume. I couldn't get near them, it'd set off my allergies every time.

Where I work now has a scent policy. They prohibit people from wearing strong scents and, thankfully, everyone respects that.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #34788
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That Secret not available up here, at least not in any of the local drug stores. Heck, not even in London Drugs.
I'm sorry to hear that, truly. It's been a life-saver for me. I'm told I don't look it, but I'm a sweaty monster.

Quote:
Try DHS Shampoo. Hypoallergenic, unscented, reasonably mild, and does the job. I totally get topical allergies. Ever since I got a really bad solvent burn when I was working at NUMMI on a broken conveyor in the main truck painting booth, I've been highly sensitized to any sort of skin irritant. (Laundry has to ALWAY get extra rinse, for example.)
I've had topical dermatitis from everything from...hell. Forget it. The list is ridiculous.

Well, I mostly use el-cheap hair conditioner as a shampoo. (A friend of mine, who was also in the Fashion biz, more years ago than I want to say, turned me on to it.) Yup, I know how that sounds, but I've got more dead soldiers of expensive shampoos than I can list. Salon brands, exclusive salon brands, and you-name-it. Of all the things, I ended up finding out that I could shampoo my hair with--wait for it--VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner. That's what I use as my Twofer. Gets my hair clean and it keeps me from stripping the hair. Nuts, I know and no, the scent doesn't faze me. I don't react, don't have a reaction...and this stuff is dirt cheap, too, which is a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I've definitely worked with a couple of people that drowned themselves in perfume. I couldn't get near them, it'd set off my allergies every time.

Where I work now has a scent policy. They prohibit people from wearing strong scents and, thankfully, everyone respects that.
Yeah, I've noticed that companies are starting to pay attention to how onerous scents can be. I remember once threatening to terminate a woman that worked for me (in a corporate environment) 30+ years ago for drenching herself with something that was popular at the time. Choke-worthy.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:57 AM   #34789
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The London Drugs at Coquitlam Centre, Lougheed Mall and Park Royal show limited stock on most versions of Secret Clinical Strength.

Quote:
A splash from Kodak's Kodachrome processing chemistry had much the same effect. Pick up a years old slide and watch your skin break out. No fun.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:41 AM   #34790
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Anybody else here have to use smelly coal-tar shampoo? Particularly an issue in a bathroom with poor ventilation...
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #34791
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Grr. Management cancelling time I'd booked off for a medical appointment.

I've been wearing a custom orthotic boot (think of it as a removable cast that goes to just below the knee) for three years now, and on my last appointment with the orthopedic surgeon was informed I could move to custom shoes and a brace.

I had a fitting in November and was scheduled to pick up the shoes & brace December 20th. I'd done my usual and booked time off work (appointment at 8:15 am so I should be back in work by 10:30) which was approved.

Today for an email from my manager saying leave request was now cancelled. Asking her why was told two of my co-workers are off that week, and that it was no longer possible for me to be off.

Waiting to hear back from the fitters but I expect that the earliest I can get an appointment will be late January.

Here was me looking forward to starting to learn to walk in shoes again (have been told it will take several weeks to acclimatize).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #34792
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Why was the leave approved then when you requested it? If you already had the time booked, why were the later requests approved?

Where I work, they're pretty accommodating but if conflicts arise, the earlier requests are honored and the later requests are denied.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 PM   #34793
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No idea; maybe the fact I was just taking 1 1/2 or 2 hours off, and the others were taking at least a week each.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:11 AM   #34794
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Grr. Management cancelling time I'd booked off for a medical appointment.
[...]
Today for an email from my manager saying leave request was now cancelled. Asking her why was told two of my co-workers are off that week, and that it was no longer possible for me to be off.
Wow. Does your manager know why you needed (not wanted) that time off?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #34795
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. Does your manager know why you needed (not wanted) that time off?
She most certainly does; I've kept her fully apprised of my health issues

Old 12-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #34796
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
She most certainly does; I've kept her fully apprised of my health issues

I assume that simply telling her you're going anyway is out of the question? Her behavior seems cavalier to me, and she most certainly had to ignore the original scenario in the first place--I mean, are we to infer that the other two employees had booked that time off before you scheduled your appointment? Or did she just not bother to look to see if there were any other scheduling conflicts before she approved time off for both of them?

I think I'd have my nose properly out of joint in this situation. And really--what, will the building fall down if you're out of the office for a few hours, 5 days prior to Xmas?

Hitch
Old 12-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #34797
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I assume that simply telling her you're going anyway is out of the question? Her behavior seems cavalier to me, and she most certainly had to ignore the original scenario in the first place--I mean, are we to infer that the other two employees had booked that time off before you scheduled your appointment? Or did she just not bother to look to see if there were any other scheduling conflicts before she approved time off for both of them?

I think I'd have my nose properly out of joint in this situation. And really--what, will the building fall down if you're out of the office for a few hours, 5 days prior to Xmas?

Hitch
Seriously. There's probably a legal aspect here in your favor. Got any lawyer friends to consult?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #34798
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Seriously. There's probably a legal aspect here in your favor. Got any lawyer friends to consult?
It just feels bloody Orwellian. I mean...sure, I get it, there are times when I tell one of my people that it's too tricky for them to leave the "office" for this or that. But never if they have something really pressing; then I cover for them if needed. This feels...almost punitive. I'm not saying that's her thinking, but if you'd been wearing a portable cast for 3 damn months, I can't imagine that you'd want to wear it ANOTHER MONTH just because someone can't cover for you for two damned hours.

I say discuss it with her in less obliging terms. Explain what it means to you and ask who orchestrated this?

Hitch
Old 12-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #34799
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The challenge is we're a service providing organization, in my area we provide transportation to clients.

We have 3 full time drivers (myself and the other two who are taking time off), 2 part time (17.5 hours a week) and 2 casual (no guaranteed hours, minimum of 2 hours per shift).

Oh well; she's been very accommodating throughout the year to all my appointments; just have to grin and bare it (and rant to get it off my chest).

Old 12-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #34800
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not saying that's her thinking, but if you'd been wearing a portable cast for 3 damn months, I can't imagine that you'd want to wear it ANOTHER MONTH just because someone can't cover for you for two damned hours.

Try 3 YEARS not MONTHS! See https://images.app.goo.gl/qLM7EJbggW3Rqnxh6 for what it looks like.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness