Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Future Science
Future Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Exclamation After installing KSM and koreader... Nickel no longer works!

I've a Kobo Glo running the latest firmware version (3.12) and so far I've never installed another alternative reader, KSM or similar tools.

I've installed the latest stable version of the Koreader (koreader-stable-v2014.11) using the guide from the official website, that is by installing Kobo Start Menu (version 6) and then "copying the koreader folder of the zip into the ".kobo" directory."

The koreader works, but when I go back to the KSM and try to open nickel, the loading screen appears and then I'm back to the KSM initial screen.

Seaching on the forums for a solution I found this workaround but it didn't work.
Then I've installed the KBStartMenu_06_update01b patch.
I've copied the KoboRoot.tgz file into the ".kobo" folder, ran "handle update" first trying with "full update" then repeating the same procedure with "partial update" but in both cases it didn't work.

What sould I do now in order to restore nickel alongside koreader?

Last edited by Future Science; 12-29-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Future Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest doing a factory reset in order to get rid off all the third part software. nickle is working as it should, then update the firmware and if nickel is till work, don't install third party software as you see what can happen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Future Science
Future Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura aboutFuture Science has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest doing a factory reset in order to get rid off all the third part software. nickle is working as it should, then update the firmware and if nickel is till work, don't install third party software as you see what can happen.
But I already have the latest version of the firmware (3.12)!

However, how do I do a factory reset if I can't access nickel? If I press the small reset botton on the bottom of the Glo it restarts the device to the KSM starting screen.
Future Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Science View Post
But I already have the latest version of the firmware (3.12)!

However, how do I do a factory reset if I can't access nickel? If I press the small reset botton on the bottom of the Glo it restarts the device to the KSM starting screen.
Turn it off by holding the power slider for couple of seconds.
After you're sure that it's turned off, hold the front light button, and while still holding it, slide the power button.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader, ksm, nickel