Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
This will be a jury trial. Logic, evidence, proof and facts may be irrelevant.
Understood.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think Apple is taking a page from kid's playbook:

Me: "Johnny, why is Sally crying?"
Johnny: "I didn't do anything, and I for sure didn't hit her!!! But if I did hit her, she definitely deserved it and she definitely hit me first! You're Mean!"

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #48
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
This will be a jury trial. Logic, evidence, proof and facts may be irrelevant.
Yeah, but they will be exponentially more relevant than a trial adjudicated by one of the besotten old alzheimer's fossils that preside in many jurisdictions, or the political blinder musings of one of the party hacks (who only pry their way onto the bench by sycophanticly catering to one of the two irredemably corrupt political parties) who preside over many others.

Juries only look bad if you refuse to look objectively at the quality of performance the alternative delivers in practice, rather than the theoretical one may wish it exhibeted.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #49
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Yeah, but they will be exponentially more relevant than a trial adjudicated by one of the besotten old alzheimer's fossils that preside in many jurisdictions, or the political blinder musings of one of the party hacks (who only pry their way onto the bench by sycophanticly catering to one of the two irredemably corrupt political parties) who preside over many others.

Juries only look bad if you refuse to look objectively at the quality of performance the alternative delivers in practice, rather than the theoretical one may wish it exhibeted.
Anything can happen in a jury deliberation room. Since they are not required to explain how they reached their decision jurors in the US are above the law. They do not have to uphold the US Constitution, State and local laws. Previous Supreme Court decisions can also be ignored. They can create their own definitions of collusion, MFN, agency pricing and monopoly. They can look beyond what was said in court.

Just choosing a jury will be difficult also. The DOJ attorneys may exclude those owning an iPad or Mac. The other side those with Kindles or users of a Kindle app.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Anything can happen in a jury deliberation room. Since they are not required to explain how they reached their decision jurors in the US are above the law. They do not have to uphold the US Constitution, State and local laws. Previous Supreme Court decisions can also be ignored. They can create their own definitions of collusion, MFN, agency pricing and monopoly. They can look beyond what was said in court.

Just choosing a jury will be difficult also. The DOJ attorneys may exclude those owning an iPad or Mac. The other side those with Kindles or users of a Kindle app.

This may be surprising to Mobile Readers, but the vast majority of Americans don't own an EBR or Ios device. Jury selection will not be a problem on that issue.

The juries should be able to understand the issues. These issues aren't as technical or complex as the issues in the Oracle patent case, and apparently the jury did OK there.
Civil jury verdicts can be appealed from , reversed, and modified, as well.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #51
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
This may be surprising to Mobile Readers, but the vast majority of Americans don't own an EBR or Ios device. Jury selection will not be a problem on that issue.

The juries should be able to understand the issues. These issues aren't as technical or complex as the issues in the Oracle patent case, and apparently the jury did OK there.
Civil jury verdicts can be appealed from , reversed, and modified, as well.
There you go again. The *issue* isn't reading devices. The *issue* isn't Agency Pricing. The *issue* is collusion. Which you continue to ignore and make it some other issue. Did the defendants *collude* to raise prices. If the Feds layout a good enough case, and the jury agrees, they're guilty. Simply, huh? Forget Agency Pricing. Forget ebook readers. That isn't the point.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #52
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
There you go again. The *issue* isn't reading devices. The *issue* isn't Agency Pricing. The *issue* is collusion. Which you continue to ignore and make it some other issue. Did the defendants *collude* to raise prices. If the Feds layout a good enough case, and the jury agrees, they're guilty. Simply, huh? Forget Agency Pricing. Forget ebook readers. That isn't the point.
I'm answering the issue about whether an impartial jury can be chosen, and whether such a jury is capable of understanding the issues. I say yes.
Do you disagree?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #53
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
I do think that a lot of folks felt that there was NO WAY that Apple could mount any counter argument to the DOJ complaint, which was 100 per cent gospel truth.
My personal experience tells me Apple rigged the ebook market. I know what I was paying before their collusion with big publishing, and I know what the books I bought before cost now.

$14 to $15 for an ebook that has been out years and sells cheaper in print form?
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #54
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
My personal experience tells me Apple rigged the ebook market. I know what I was paying before their collusion with big publishing, and I know what the books I bought before cost now.

$14 to $15 for an ebook that has been out years and sells cheaper in print form?
Some people seem to see Apple with a halo around it, as though it were an entity serving some higher purpose of marrying artistic form to function and therefore exempt from criticism.

In fact it's one of the most ruthless, gouging, greedy organizations on the planet, built in the image of its founder (or the founder who didn't actually make the first Apple anyway).
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #55
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Some people seem to see Apple with a halo around it, as though it were an entity serving some higher purpose of marrying artistic form to function and therefore exempt from criticism.

In fact it's one of the most ruthless, gouging, greedy organizations on the planet, built in the image of its founder (or the founder who didn't actually make the first Apple anyway).
Just like some people seem to think that Apple sports a tail and horns and Amazon wears a halo etc etc... all these viewpoints have about as much value as the paper they're printed on... personally, I'd be very surprised by any corporation having either a halo or horns and tail... neither extreme tends to be conducive to corporations' primary aim - making money
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #56
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post

So true. Love their product, hate the way the company operates.

Yet there are plenty of people who paint Amazon in the opposite way. resplendent with horns trident and cloven hoofs, Amazon is the great and evil organisation out to eat your children.

Apple and the BPH's are jealous of the success of Amazon as a business and terrified of the changes Amazon is fronting. Apple in particular are even more so, determined that they are the company to dominate the ebook market. Hence Job's determination at the time to wrest market share away by colluding with the BPH's on fixing prices to stop Amazon selling ebooks at prices customers snapped up.

If Apple could not destroy a company by endless patent suits, then this was the best way forward. The BHP's love the agency pricing scheme. It allows them to maintain the same business structure they have had for two hundred years. No change is good, at least in their eyes and especially if Amazon, that evil game changer, is throttled.

I look forward to this trial unfolding. The DoJ's case, contrary to some true agency price disciples, is strong. Else, why would three big publishing houses settle to avoid the fire and pain ahead?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #57
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
So true. Love their product, hate the way the company operates.

Yet there are plenty of people who paint Amazon in the opposite way. resplendent with horns trident and cloven hoofs, Amazon is the great and evil organisation out to eat your children.

Apple and the BPH's are jealous of the success of Amazon as a business and terrified of the changes Amazon is fronting. Apple in particular are even more so, determined that they are the company to dominate the ebook market. Hence Job's determination at the time to wrest market share away by colluding with the BPH's on fixing prices to stop Amazon selling ebooks at prices customers snapped up.

If Apple could not destroy a company by endless patent suits, then this was the best way forward. The BHP's love the agency pricing scheme. It allows them to maintain the same business structure they have had for two hundred years. No change is good, at least in their eyes and especially if Amazon, that evil game changer, is throttled.

I look forward to this trial unfolding. The DoJ's case, contrary to some true agency price disciples, is strong. Else, why would three big publishing houses settle to avoid the fire and pain ahead?

And apparently some people paint BPHS as the ones with horns. Hey, maybe all of these follks acting in own economic self interest. Maybe you might want to try that approach.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #58
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
And apparently some people paint BPHS as the ones with horns. Hey, maybe all of these follks acting in own economic self interest. Maybe you might want to try that approach.
When economic self interest sinks to price fixing and collusion in an attempt to wrestle market share, then the BPH's should feel the full weight of that laws consequences.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Half of all US households own at least one Apple device
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #60
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Got to love polls... based on a survey of 846 people pre-selected by landline/mobile...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote