Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2024, 11:35 PM   #16
sre3
sre3 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Elipsa 2E, Clara HD
I wrote a quick guide about installing and using rmkit on an Elipsa 2E a month ago or so: https://sre303.net/posts/rmkit-guide-for-kobo-devices/
sre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:58 PM   #17
sre3

Try number two... My previous quick reply disappeared into think air? Anyway, the guide was written pre-FBInk, @raisjn do you think I should replace the not supported warning with something more along the lines of not *tested* but you're welcome to give it a shot?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:30 PM   #18
raisjn
raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo libra h2o, kobo clara hd, kobo elipsa 2e
the guide is great, thanks for sharing! one thing I've done is configured my remux to launch on long press (see the Readme for remux or genie) and that helps a bunch with swipe issues

I also think the update on language makes sense: rmkit should support way more kobo devices now
raisjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:05 PM   #19
sre3

Aha! I took a quick peek, I'm assuming you would just stick genie in /.adds/rmkit/bin/apps/ as usual (or does it need to be in /home/root/apps?) and create a genie config that looks something like:

gesture=tap
command=/opt/bin/remux (do you need flags here?)
fingers=1
zone= 0 0 1 1
duration= 1

and put
launch_gesture=
in /home/root/.config/remux/remux.conf

And then I'm assuming remux will launch genie as necessary?
I heard somewhere that the kobo linux install doesn't have systemd, so I'm assuming it's not the genie.service file...
Old 04-13-2024, 06:23 PM   #20
raisjn
raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.raisjn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

you don't need genie, you can just set "launch_gesture=a;b;c" where a,b,c are the lines you had above (you don't need the 'command' option, though. but gesture=, fingers=, etc will work). you can set multiple gestures by having multiple "launch_gesture=..." lines

will edit this post when I'm home to fill in an example config; the one you have looks good to me. when you start remux, it will output the parsed gestures on stderr
Old 04-13-2024, 06:28 PM   #21
sre3

Yep, I realized that right after I posted... whoops. My quick replies keep litterally vanishing into the aether, not sure what's going on there... grr. The last one seems to have gone through and is waiting on mod approval, but this is what is said if this one gets through before:

Oh nevermind, I was totally overcomplicating things... I didn't realize remux supported duration without the API...

So you would just stick launch_gesture=gesture=tap;fingers=1;duration=1;zo ne=1 1 1 1 in the remux config? Or does remux not natively support zones?

P.S I can't edit my other post anymore but I meant to put zone= 1 1 1 1 which I'm assuming is the whole screen? I don't quite get the direction order...

P.P.S Is there a recommended "upgrade" method to the FBInk version? If I just slap the KoboRoot.tgz into .kobo will I run into any unexpected behaviour, or would that be fine?
Old 04-13-2024, 06:39 PM   #22
sre3

Whoops

Yep, realized that after I posted... my quick replies keep literally vanishing into the aether... They post and then end up like this, and disappear if I reload the page... This is the fifth try

Anyhow apparently the last one went through and is pending mod approval...
If it doesn't I essentially just had a config of: launch_gesture=gesture=tap;fingers=1;duration=1;zo ne=1 1 1 1

I'm not entirely sure which direction is what, but I'm assuming that 1 1 1 1 is the whole page?

I also asked if there was a recommended upgrade method to the FBInk version or if it's alright to just throw the KoboRoot.tgz in there and go...

Last edited by sre3; 04-13-2024 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Remove Image and convert to link
Old 04-13-2024, 06:42 PM   #23
raisjn

yeah, just throw a new koboroot.tar.gz in

for zone: should be 0 0 1 1 (x1 y1 x2 y2) for the whole page. (0 0 is top left, 1 1 should be bottom right)

re: posts: same used to happen to me I think it's a karma or newness thing. btw: read your previous blog post and it's awesome
Old 04-14-2024, 07:09 PM   #24
sre3

Ah, the older post did end up going through in the end.

Re: zones; that makes more sense, I think I thought it was all relative from the corner or something... no... that still wouldn't work... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: blog post; thanks! I'm going to update the guide tonight with maybe some instructions on reconfiguring remux and the new notes about FBInk support. On that note, is there any way to access the remux config not from the rootfs? Or would you need to telnet in?

Re: upgrade;
Old 04-14-2024, 07:13 PM   #25
sre3

Another quick note: I moved the website from wordpress to hugo not long ago, so the post is pretty much just a markdown file with a shortcode for the image.

Let me know if you wanted to just stick it in the github repo, I can send it your way.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM   #26
sre3

Well, I finally got around to updating the article

I also just loaded the new FBInk version, and I noticed a little regression of sorts - the screen does not refresh when exiting out of the remux menu to Nickel, so you end up with something like this... I've opened an issue on Github.

Tags
rmkit