Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Why do you love to read? How did you first get into it?

I gone 20 years never reading. Always thought it was a chore. Like a high school or college reading assignment.

One day I noticed people were talking about books. I became increasingly embarrassed that I never read. Not even magazines. So I had nothing to share.
In 2010 I was randomly in a B&N store and saw the Nook. I decided to buy one. The first books I purchased was The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and loved it even tho its considered a Young Adult book series. From there I never stopped. I then read The Dark Tower Series. I can not believe I missed out on the joy of reading all those years.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I have to go back a bit further.

One thing I couldn't stand when growing up (b. 1955) was cartoons. Maybe I would have liked Sponge Bob, but I wasn't crazy about kids shows back then. So I was asking my mom to take me to the library young and often.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I got my first Library card when I was in the 3rd grade (US schools). It has been a down hill ride since.

I even did a shift (additional duty) as ships Librarian on Waddell , my first navy ship (also, a great way to get firs crack at new stuff).

I can't remember not having a book handy. e-readers just make it handier
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My very first book in grade school (the Dick, Jane and Spot book) hooked me. It seemed like magic, having a whole world within ink on paper. Who knows why some see it that way and others don't?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I read the Black Stallion series as a young child then stopped completely till I was 42 lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
My mom read to me when I was young. She got me fairytales in those heavy duty cardboard books format. Started reading by myself in nursery school and never quite stopped. I'd spend recess and lunch in the school library.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I was always a reader. My mom would always read me a bedtime story, before kindergarten I was reading myself. When I was still in grade school the bookmobile came to it's stop a block away every two weeks. The rule was you could check out all the books you could carry. I'd stack books up to my chin and have them all read by the time they came back. Mom was a reader also and I'd read her reader digest condensed books, the encyclopedia, anything I could get my hands on. She would bring me books she thought I would enjoy but never limited what I could or couldn't read. Still reading 60 yrs later.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I can't remember when I started reading. My mother remembered me reading from the back of a cereal box when I was 4 after I had sat in on her K-5 classroom for a while. Since then, I've seldom been far from a book. Thanks to ebooks, I now look like less of a hoarder but I still have about 1500 or so hardcover science fiction/fantasy on my bookshelves in the basement and ghod alone knows how many paperbacks stored in boxes. When I add in the computer/networking related books and cookbooks, I could open a decent size if rather specialized library.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 AM   #9
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I can’t remember not being able to read - I’ve always had books and my mother wouldn’t take me to the library more than once a week unless it was school holidays. Of course, once I was old enough to cycle on my own I could go more often - just as well, as I could read more than one book a day given a chance.

I’m slowly getting rid of print books as they’re converted to electronic format and turn up on sale somewhere. My problem was that I read SF&F and had a lot of imports which weren’t available in the UK, so I kept books. According to my catalogue, I still have over 4600 hard copies, and along with over 2700 ebooks I have a small library in my house plus my partners books. I’m still cataloguing - I’m currently working my way through RPG pdfs.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #10
briefcandles
Connoisseur
briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.briefcandles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My mother says that when I was a toddler, she'd sit me down with a stack of children's magazines to keep me preoccupied while she did the cooking. She taught me to read when I was two years old because I kept pestering her. I didn't have that many toys or dolls as a kid, but we subscribed to plenty of magazines, and I had the most comprehensive Enid Blyton collection in my class.
briefcandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #11
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I didn't read as much as I should have when younger. I read what I had to, nothing extra. It was hard to find time in college and grad school as well for extra reading. What really got me into it was getting a job, which required a good bit of travel. I started by picking up a paperback at the airport and got to the point that I didn't leave home without one. Now I'm still working and don't have a lot of free time, but I don't find time to read, I make time to read.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I grew up surrounded by books. My earliest memory is a dear Great Aunt and Uncle Reading to me, and I still have some of those "Little Golden Books." My parents were both readers and I would read anything if a book wasn't available. Cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, anything. My mom would go to the Bookmobile and take me with her. I would have been 10 when she started doing that.

I do remember the school reading program called SRA. I also rememember finishing all of those well before the rest of the class, (you worked at your own pace) and being allowed to read other books during that class time. I would have been in 3rd or 4th grade I think. You read a Short story, then answered questions to test your comprehension. I remember thinking it was strange because the other kids took SO long to do each one.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Dumb kid.

In grade school I could not learn the abc's, I found I could slur over the middle ones I didn't know and get away with it. I could never memorize. Did make it through college and grad school with all the reading but it was a real chore. Almost flunked out of electronics school due to not understanding all the tech stuff it took me hours to read when others did it in a brief time.

I never read for enjoyment. A page or two into a book was enough for me. In High School reading was a terrible chore. I would read a paragraph, then read it again, then at times again before I could figure out what it meant.

In my 60's I took a test online to see if I was dyslexic. Something like 80 questions and I hit just about everyone of them. It opened up a whole story line for me, no wonder I did not like to read :-) Might relate to thinking myself rather dumb. I had, about the same time been watching a credit union being built. The sign said it would be Uintus Credit union. For days I wondered where they got a name like that. One day I was looking at the sign and I spelled it out to myself slowly U-N-I-T-U-S Credit Union. What a revelation

I love electronics and I ran across the first kindle. I wanted one even though I probably wouldn't use it. Ordered one and when it came I sat down and started reading and loved it. Have been reading since.

I find on tablets I get along fine in the sepia color Kindle provides.

I suspect all the forced reading helped train my brain into more normal habits when reading but the electronic readers have been a real help to me.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
I probably was a reader before, but from memory, the not stopping point came the Christmas I was 8 years old, one of my aunts gift me three books: Asterix in Hispania, Tintin in Tibet and one of the Three Investigators series. Through the Three Investigators I discovered Enid Blyton and I was hooked.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
My Mum always enjoyed reading and she read to us when we were young. And although my memory is absolutely terrible, one thing I do remember as a young kid in primary school was going into the library straight after school (they were right next to one another) and picking books to read and take home with me. Incidentally, my Mum was the first of the family to get a Kindle back in 2011, a Kindle Keyboard which is still working to this day, and has only recently stopped being used daily.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote