Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Smile Managed to run Kindle app on Linux

Not sure if someone else has tried or posted this already, but I was able to finally run Kindle on my Ubuntu Linux computer, following some online instructions. I am running Kindle for PC 1.3.0 Build 30884 though, not most recent version. This is what I did (for whoever is interested or running Ubuntu):

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.3
Then download Kindle 1.3, I put it on my Home folder. And right click and open using Wine. It works like a charm! I can sync, read books and even download locally on my Linux machine.

I got Kindle 1.3 from: http://www.filehorse.com/download-kindle-for-pc/7000/

By the way, I am running 64bit version of Ubuntu Lucid.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
1.4.1 will work fine with Wine 1.3, as well. Certain "tools" however still don't. Linux users were stuck with 1.0 beta version of K4PC for a long time, but somewhere in Wine 1.2, the problems with the newer versions were remedied.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
1.4.1 will work fine with Wine 1.3, as well. Certain "tools" however still don't. Linux users were stuck with 1.0 beta version of K4PC for a long time, but somewhere in Wine 1.2, the problems with the newer versions were remedied.
But some interesting tools (you know what I mean) may not run on 1.4.

I will give a try later though. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But some interesting tools (you know what I mean) may not run on 1.4.
The interesting tools will not work with ANY version of K4PC in Wine... I'm sorry to inform you. That's what I was trying to say.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The interesting tools will not work with ANY version of K4PC in Wine... I'm sorry to inform you. That's what I was trying to say.
Hmmm... really?.... ... 'cause I'm running Calibre for Linux there. But good to know. Maybe I will try later just for fun.
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmm... really?.... ... 'cause I'm running Calibre for Linux there. But good to know. Maybe I will try later just for fun.
I encourage it! Maybe you'll be the one to figure it out.

Hint: Your Linux version of Calibre/python knows nothing about your Windows version of K4PC (or the Wine Windows Registry--which is needed for the plugin). And even if you ran K4PC and Calibre/Python all in Wine... still no go. There's some fundamental differences between the Wine dll's and the native Windows ones.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-25-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
They don't work because their reading the memory space of the K4 App. That memory space is different for Wine+K4PC and Windows+K4PC. That is why the tools don't work.

Also I didn't know the new Wine fixed the newer K4PC, that is good to know since I've been stuck with the Beta since the release.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Try virtualbox

If you install VirtualBox (OSE version works fine), you can then install and run Windows (or any other OS) in a virtual machine and get full functionality from Calibre and its plugins. If you can install and run linux, you can install VirtualBox- it's pretty easy- just use Synaptic to DL and install it. Once VirtualBox is installed you set up a virtual machine and install Windows, then with the Windows virtual machine running (you get a standard windows desktop and menu system, just as if you were running Windows because you are), install Calibre and the plugins. Windows running in a VM will be able to access the web and the CDROM drive. If you want to access the USB ports (and some other hardware) from the VM you'll have to install the non OSE version of VirtualBox.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
The "tools" work fine in wine with k4pc. I've done it several times with the python scripts, You just need to install a windows version of python with wine.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
The "tools" work fine in wine with k4pc. I've done it several times with the python scripts, You just need to install a windows version of python with wine.
You must be talking about unswindle. It's the only thing I know of that will work as you describe, but with a much older version of k4pc.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-26-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Thanks Mark

I am aware of Virtual Box. Actually, I do have an Ubuntu headless server running virtual box with several VMs on it, but I wanted to run it inside Linux.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
How are you accessing those VMs? I have used tightVNC to access the linux desktop on a headless audio server for my squeezeboxes but never tried running a VM that way...
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

I installed Virtual Box via aptitude, the way you normally do if you're on the Ubuntu GUI. From there, creating the VM is a matter of typing a few commands in order to generate the VM name, NIC, hard drive and size, assigning RAM, etc. Once the VM has been created, you connect to those via remote desktop protocol. I can even connect to one of those via Internet because I assigned a public IP and open a few ports on my home's firewall.

It is like running VMware on a headless server; some commands are even the same. I think I have a link with instructions and a small Word document I created for each command. PM me with your email address, I will send you the info.

I like it that way because uses very little resources. I run Virtual Box on my Ubuntu laptop via GUI (a different Virtual Box setup) but if you want to save resources or use a Headless server, is the way to go.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-26-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fixing some typos