Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
Daratzatzara
Daratzatzara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara hd
"Mirroring" the system on Kobo Clara

Hey,
I just bought a Kobo Clara HD eReader from AliExpress, and they sent a defective device. Since the first time I turned it on it has problems. Most of the times it gets stuck in the process of turning on, and so i have to shut it down by pressing 10 sec on the power button, and try again.
I got lucky a couple of times, but then i tried to update the firmware, and in the middle of copying the files from the PC, the device got disconnected (bcs it got stuck again), and since then I have even more problems.

The device restored to factory settings, and every time I succeed of getting it turn on (without it getting stuck), Kobo PC software preforms an update, and the device reboots. But every reboot without exception, it gets stuck.

I've talked with the store on AliExpress and they told me the software is corrupted, and that I have to "mirror" my system. Does anybody has any idea? May i just be a problem in the hardware?

Thanks for replying, Hadar.

Last edited by Daratzatzara; 09-16-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Daratzatzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daratzatzara View Post
Hey,
I just bought a Kobo Clara HD eReader from AliExpress, and they sent a defective device. Since the first time I turned it on it has problems. Most of the times it gets stuck in the process of turning on, and so i have to shut it down by pressing 10 sec on the power button, and try again.
I got lucky a couple of times, but then i tried to update the firmware, and in the middle of copying the files from the PC, the device got disconnected (bcs it got stuck again), and since then I have even more problems.

The device restored to factory settings, and every time I succeed of getting it turn on (without it getting stuck), Kobo PC software preforms an update, and the device reboots. But every reboot without exception, it gets stuck.

I've talked with the store on AliExpress and they told me the software is corrupted, and that I have to "mirror" my system. Does anybody has any idea? May i just be a problem in the hardware?

Thanks for replying, Hadar.
Given that you just bought it, there's no reason you need to tinker with it to try to get it working. Mirroring require you to open the case, remove the SD card, make a copy of it and put the copy back in. The seller should replace it for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daratzatzara View Post
Hey,

I think they mean "reimage". That is, get a good image for the SD card and write it to the card. Based on what you describe, the card is corrupt, and possibly failing.

The things I would do are:
  • Return it as faulty and get my money back.
  • Do a manual factory reset. The instructions for this are https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...HD-or-Kobo-Nia.
  • Get an image and restore it to the SD card. Or possibly a new card, as I don't think I would trust the one you have. I have sent you a PM with the link to an image.

I suspect you can't return it. So try the factory reset. If that doesn't work, then try the image.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
cooldavidt
cooldavidt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
When I select a book and Send To Device I get this error
calibre, version 4.23.0
ERROR: Error while saving: Failed to save any books to disk, click "Show details" for more information

Failed to save: Swann by Shields, Carol to disk, with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 175, in do_one_write
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 221, in write_book
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/Shields, Carol'

Any idea why? New Kobo Clara, Calire has the Kobo Plugins
cooldavidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldavidt View Post
When I select a book and Send To Device I get this error
calibre, version 4.23.0
ERROR: Error while saving: Failed to save any books to disk, click "Show details" for more information

Failed to save: Swann by Shields, Carol to disk, with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 175, in do_one_write
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/save.py", line 221, in write_book
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/Shields, Carol'

Any idea why? New Kobo Clara, Calire has the Kobo Plugins
Looks as if your computer is blocking write access. At a WEG, it's a Mac.

If so, click on the Kobo ereader mounted on the desktop, then File => Get Info and see what it says under Sharing and Permissions at the bottom.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Daratzatzara
Daratzatzara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you just bought it, there's no reason you need to tinker with it to try to get it working. Mirroring require you to open the case, remove the SD card, make a copy of it and put the copy back in. The seller should replace it for you.
thank you, the changing of SD card did not work, so I'm in the process of shipping it back.
Daratzatzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
cooldavidt

Thanks David DNSB
Permissions does show 'You have custom access'. It does not seem I can change that. It is a KOBO so it is a MS-DOS FAT 32.
I have the KOBO Plug ins installed on the KOBO.
David
Old 09-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks David DNSB
Permissions does show 'You have custom access'. It does not seem I can change that. It is a KOBO so it is a MS-DOS FAT 32.
I have the KOBO Plug ins installed on the KOBO.
David
Have you done any internet searches on how to change permissions? One example is Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac. This link is for Mojave but pretty much identical for High Sierra and Catalina.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
cooldavidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you done any internet searches on how to change permissions? One example is Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac. This link is for Mojave but pretty much identical for High Sierra and Catalina.
Good morning David
I have done an internet search.
the 'custom access' is not included in the types of info you are expected to find in Get Info.

I suspect in is KOBO OS rejecting the attempt to load non KOBO books into their ereader.

I suspect the Calibre patches in the Plugins are not working for me.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I suspect in is KOBO OS rejecting the attempt to load non KOBO books into their ereader.

Sorry to say but NO. Sideloading íf content via either calibre or finder is fully supported by Kobo. The error you are receiving just indicates that the Kobo is mounted read-only due to some MacOS setting. It's possible that if you could tell us what version of MacOS you are using that we might be able to google for a solution.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Good morning David
I have done an internet search.
the 'custom access' is not included in the types of info you are expected to find in Get Info.

Firstly, it is not the Kobo OS doing anything at all. When you connect these devices to a computer, the books partition is presented as a disk. The OS is accessing the filesystem directly, and the OS on the device is not involved at all.

As the others have said, it is almost definitely a problem with how the MAC is mounting the device. The error you are seeing is a permissions error. It even says it in the error. It means that calibre is not being allowed to write to the device. The question is why.

Based on discussion here over the years, the most likely reason is the device isn't being mounted as writeable. You can test this by trying to copy a file to the device without using calibre. Find the device by whatever method you use in the MAC and copy any file you want there. I expect that to fail. But, if it works, try to create a directory. The error is happening when calibre is trying to create a directory, so it might be permission to do that is missing.

The alternative is that the MAC is restricting the permissions that calibre has. I believe this is possible, but, have no idea how to do it.

Also, is this the first error you see? I'm a bit surprised there isn't an earlier error when calibre is trying to get the list of books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
cooldavidt

Thank you.
I can see the new KOBO disk image in the list of devices attached to my iMac computer. I can see in Calibre it is attached as well because Calibre shows on the LHS a column 'On Device'.
When I select a book in Calibre to send to the KOBO I right click on the book and select the 'Send to Device' line. This results in the communications error.
I have a work around solution and I do have books on the KOBO now. The work around solution is to go to the Calibre Library folder, open it, select a book I want (not a folder) and drag it into the KOBO disk into the folder I have determined by trial and error normally hold the books. This work around works, but bypasses the Calibre app. I prefer to use the app! I like it!!
I can see the 'restrictive' Permission when I 'Get Info' for the KOBO disk image. I do not know how to modify it, nor whether or not this is the problem. I would think this restrictive permission is pretty universal.
I just want to be able to use Calibre.
I have used it for years on my very old Pocketbook ereader which is now retired.
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, it is not the Kobo OS doing anything at all. When you connect these devices to a computer, the books partition is presented as a disk. The OS is accessing the filesystem directly, and the OS on the device is not involved at all.

As the others have said, it is almost definitely a problem with how the MAC is mounting the device. The error you are seeing is a permissions error. It even says it in the error. It means that calibre is not being allowed to write to the device. The question is why.

Based on discussion here over the years, the most likely reason is the device isn't being mounted as writeable. You can test this by trying to copy a file to the device without using calibre. Find the device by whatever method you use in the MAC and copy any file you want there. I expect that to fail. But, if it works, try to create a directory. The error is happening when calibre is trying to create a directory, so it might be permission to do that is missing.

The alternative is that the MAC is restricting the permissions that calibre has. I believe this is possible, but, have no idea how to do it.

Also, is this the first error you see? I'm a bit surprised there isn't an earlier error when calibre is trying to get the list of books.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I prefer to use the app! I like it!!
I can see the 'restrictive' Permission when I 'Get Info' for the KOBO disk image. I do not know how to modify it, nor whether or not this is the problem. I would think this restrictive permission is pretty universal.
I just want to be able to use Calibre.
I have used it for years on my very old Pocketbook ereader which is now retired.
David
Looking in calibre's FAQs, there is an entry which seems to match your issue:

Quote:
On macOS if you get permission errors when connecting a device to calibre, you can fix that by looking under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders.
I've attached a screen capture from a Catalina VM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina_calibre-permissions.png
Views:	108
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	182041  
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
I could provide a memory card image from my Clara HD, but I think the data for the serial number would have to be changed once you get and image it. I'm not too sure, though.

For those coming here from a search, I could also provide a Glo HD memory card image too.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote