Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #31
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
As part of your grand experiment I would check out the way the Sony handles collections. It really makes a big difference if you have a lot of books. As others have stated I would stick with LRF if you are going to convert any of your books.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
As part of your grand experiment I would check out the way the Sony handles collections. It really makes a big difference if you have a lot of books. As others have stated I would stick with LRF if you are going to convert any of your books.
I will check out collections. I have used a friend's 700 so I've seen how they work in the reader but I didn't know until after that you have to use the Sony software to create them.

The Grand Experiment is about ePub, so that's what I'll be using as much as possible. I asked the format question because there seems to be so much touting of ePub and I was curious if Sony owners are really using it and if it is worthy of being the "new standard".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #33
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have heard that Calibre can do collections also. I have never tried though. I use Calibre to make my books but always use the Sony Software to load them on to my reader. I think I may be one of the few people out there who has had no major problems with the software.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #34
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I have no problem with purchasing epub titles and the justification problem that annoys some people I find doesn't annoy me.
I just think calibre converts better to lrf than epub.
I am currently reading a purchased PDF called Acacia by David Anthony Durham and it must be the best formatted PDF I have read. You hardly even know you are reading a reflowed PDF(apart from the usual partial page problem). Pity this is not how all PDFs are formatted as some are pretty ordinary.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #35
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I don't really use the sony software much, but it is really easy to make collections with calibre. Every tag you add to a book becomes a collection. A book can of course belong to more than one collections at the same time.

I like epub, and I usually convert to epub if I have to choose. I haven't given it much thought, so I can't really say why I like it more than lrf. The page numbers on the side can be just a little bit annoying sometimes, but I don't mind the left justification at all. I actually prefer it from full justification.

Good luck with your grand experiment, Daffy!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
....but I decided to go with a Sony 505 (shock and awe! ). Why?, you may ask:
I'll be asking a lot of questions, so get ready Sony and ePub People!
Wonderful!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #37
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
I can't think of a single paper book that I own that does not have full justification. I havn't been able to get past the justification in epub yet.
That's a personal problem. I prefer ragged-right myself instead of irregular spacing and hyphenation -- that just makes it hard on the eyes.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Then you will have to get a nook to do a Nook myths... and... and...

BOb
and a Que....and a ... and a ...
Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Silver 505 arrives today but alas, I am at work. I really won't get a chance to play with it until Wednesday. So I guess, I'll just charge it on my home computer overnight. I ordered a wall charger but it probably won't arrive until next week.

Soon, "The Grand Experiment" will begin, (now I have to find some ePub freebies at Sony & B&N and a few other places).
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
The Silver 505 arrives today but alas, I am at work. I really won't get a chance to play with it until Wednesday. So I guess, I'll just charge it on my home computer overnight. I ordered a wall charger but it probably won't arrive until next week.

Soon, "The Grand Experiment" will begin, (now I have to find some ePub freebies at Sony & B&N and a few other places).
Or you might consider "freeing" and converting some that you have already for a more direct comparison?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #41
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Or you might consider "freeing" and converting some that you have already for a more direct comparison?
I'm hoping that if I find a freebie it will also be a freebie in the Kindle store. :0
Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
I'm hoping that if I find a freebie it will also be a freebie in the Kindle store. :0

Good point or check google books they often have both epub and mobi, but not necessarily formatted/edited very well.

Oh and right here at MR of course. Many books are in both formats and some are real elegant!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check out Three Men in a Boat in ePub. I cannot say if you will like it or not, but it does look nice and it was formatted by our own Zelda Pinwheel.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48377
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check out Three Men in a Boat in ePub. I cannot say if you will like it or not, but it does look nice and it was formatted by our own Zelda Pinwheel.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48377
The thing with getting books from MR is that they will always be superior, no matter the format. I want to see what run of the mill, run through the regular ePub factory ebooks look like.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #45
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just out of curiosity. Does Adobe have an itouch application to read ePubs? I have a 505 and always wondered if I could read DRM'ed ePubs on the itouch.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote