Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #121
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Still once eink displays get to where I am better able to read them, and this newest generation seems to have improved enough. I wonder if it was a change in the layer materials?
eInk hasn't changed. It's due to the layers that specific device manufacturers put on their various devices. For example, Sony puts a touch screen layer on top of the eInk for some of their devices, which really reduces the contrast. Others have various anti-glare or anti-scratch layers/coatings, etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #122
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
eInk hasn't changed. It's due to the layers that specific device manufacturers put on their various devices. For example, Sony puts a touch screen layer on top of the eInk for some of their devices, which really reduces the contrast. Others have various anti-glare or anti-scratch layers/coatings, etc.
I believe the oem supplied hardware/software to control what gets written to the e-ink screen would play a factor in how fast it draws and perhaps how many shades are shown. It would be easy to blank the screen completely before generating the next page, but it would be much faster to only alter the e-ink pixels that are different between pages. I'm sure e-ink is not 100% reliable so the drawing algorithm will have to compensate for ghosting. I would think less ghosting would make things a little clearer.

Last edited by badbob001; 09-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #123
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I believe the oem supplied hardware/software to control what gets written to the e-ink screen would play a factor in how fast it draws and perhaps how many shades are shown. It would be easy to blank the screen completely before generating the next page, but it would be much faster to only alter the e-ink pixels that are different between pages. I'm sure e-ink is not 100% reliable so the drawing algorithm will have to compensate for ghosting. I would think less ghosting would make things a little clearer.
I assumed they were talking about contrast.

Yes, the page turning speed will depend on device specific things like the display controller, refresh method, etc. There are partial refresh capabilities in place now, but they're not used for normal page turns, only for things like icons or pop up menus. Partial refreshes are definitely faster, but ghosting is more of a problem unless you do a full blank/invert/refresh type algorithm.

Still, even then, the eInk itself is basically the same on the different devices.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #124
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
you are restating what I wrote...only better ....apparently my stating "...a change in layer materials..." I mistakenly assumed it would be understood the reference would be to the layers over the eink film itself as well as be obvious that most brands, especially the major brands would have a proprietary setup compared to the re-badged devices from Jinkie, Hanlin, etc...though even those might have some specific change orders for their models depending on what a given brand is willing to spend...thanks.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote