Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Skinkie
Skinkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
IMAP email client?

Today my Aura HD arrived, it is my first ereader, consider me a e-reader newbie.

I'm a Linux developer http://github.com/skinkie and basically I am interested in an e-mail client on the Kobo. My guess is this question has popped up before, and more people are interested in it: best case it already exists (I couldn't find it).
  1. Is there already a working mail client?
  2. If I wanted to start to develop one, using standards libs, what is the best place to start for display output?

I'm basically thinking in the terms of a long list with subjects / senders, a header, starting with a reading client.
Skinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I'm not aware of any email client for the Kobo devices, but I think it's a great idea. For display output, anything that can write to the framebuffer should work. You will have to write some code to refresh the e-ink display, since it's not automatically updated after you draw to the framebuffer. For that you can check out tonyv's code here and also my code here.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Skinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
I'm not aware of any email client for the Kobo devices, but I think it's a great idea.
Thanks for your quick response. I'll first try to build some mockup with your display suggestions. After half an hour toying to get koreader to work, I assume I could manage myself.

Like what many reviews mention: the only downside on the aura is the lack of a home button, if only a long 'light' button press could be mapped... opposed to a forced shutdown that would probably help a lot.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Skinkie

If you want to be part of the birth of a mail app, please leave some comments on potential designs for a mail app on an e-reader. Feedback is greatly appreciated, better suggestions as well.

http://stefan.konink.de/contrib/kobomail/
Old 08-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Skinkie, this is an interesting mockup. I'd love to have this e-mail client on my Kobo.

Btw, for large pictures, it's easier to use the attach button to upload the image to your post. This way it won't overflow the post content.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
email, imap, kobo, linux