Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #136
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thra11 View Post
I suspect a lot of people don't experience certain bugs simply because they don't happen to use a certain feature which contains a bug. For example, if you only read English, or never look words up with the definition/translate function, you'll never know that the kobo software fails to select words with diacritics properly.
In the case that you're talking about, sure. The same would go for a lot of other features. Yet there are also reported bugs that everyone should see, like page flipping bugs. Maybe there is a good reason for those bugs only affecting some users. But we don't have a clear fix or reason for them, so some people are persistently complaining about them.

(For what it's worth: I've rarely had problems with my Touch. When I have, they are my fault: such as improperly rooting the Touch.)
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #137
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I don't even mind this google analytics spectre. I lead an incredibly boring life and whoever in the end is seeing my browsing/reading/shopping data from my online activities is surely weeping in a corner somewhere when they realize a person can be so dull.
LOL!!
My thoughts exactly.

I haven't posted on this thread previously as I didn't want to jinx the improvements I have experienced since upgrading.
1.9.16 was a mess for me - double taps, ignored taps, the issue with the menus, etc, etc, etc.
I ended up doing multiple resets and eventually got my Kobo to be useable - just. Waiting for the next upgrade to get rid of those problems seemed to take forever.
So far 1.9.17 is great - certainly all my major problems with 1.9.16 are now finally gone!
Interestingly I have 2 Kobos in my home. I upgraded my daughter's at the same time and she had no issues with 1.9.16 and hasn't noticed any difference with 1.9.17.

I have the carosel that is so despised set to display the first few items in my shortlist. I must be one of the very few who like it as it gives me access to 10 books instead of 5 from the home screen.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #138
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Still no 'folder view/file explorer' option for selection of books? Still just the automated and lousy (when >200 books) collection thingy?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #139
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
To everyone who has problems with Kobo Touch after firmware upgrade:

You should try to wipe the device via factory reset and then re-apply the upgrade. It seems that some old data from old firmware versions is left behind which can cause some weird problems.

Beware though, it will wipe your reading life & statistics (gained awards are kept) and all sideloaded (non Kobo kepub) books from internal memory.

After doing a factory reset, all of my problems were gone, and I have been using my KT (1.9.16 and now 1.9.17) without any problems.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #140
Supernova
Supernova began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 & PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I don't know mine wouldn't d/l either. I uninstalled and reinstalled it to finally get to work.

I loved my 1st gen. Kobo, and I've never had a problem with my KT [except the odd double page turn issue] until upgrades in the past couple of months.

How's the Sony working out for you?

Your comment about buying hard copy vs ebook, I TOTALLY agree. I don't understand the thinking behind that at all.

And for those who've had no trouble, I was in that group. Enjoy it!
My wife's computer is a low energy demand Intel Atom dual core unit running XP with 1Gb memory. Most things run fine, but I feel that it could use more memory. Updating the Kobo desktop seems too much with this new version. I have a more powerful computer which did update the Kobo desktop O.K., but the software seems to take ages to move on to the next screen. It is obviously handling a lot of data. How many people have access to higher powered computers? I think Kobo have gone too far with this version.

I bought the Sony PRS300 as an inexpensive stopgap while I looked at what reader I really wanted. It worked fine, though a little slow until the morning when I picked up the T1, when it failed to turn on. That was returned under warranty and replaced with no problems. The 300 and the T1 are working fine (at the moment). I have Calibre handling all my books, which works extremely well, and more books downloaded than I will get through in my lifetime.

Last edited by Supernova; 03-23-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correct processor name
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #141
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
another couple of bugs with pdf

- if i set to no pages numbers, pages numbers remain here
- landscape mode... if i click to zoom and fit by width the text under the toolbar isn't painted...so i have to click home and go back reading
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #142
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Ok, not specifically related to 1.9.17 cause I noticed it on 1.9.16 just before the new firmware came out... but how long has the clock been borked?

I was adding a bunch of new stuff with Calibre and noticed (this is still on 1.9.16) that the clock and date were wrong. "No Biggie" I thought, daylight savings time the week before, leap year this year, maybe it was never correctly set... So I set it. The next day it was something like 10 hours off.

And when I updated to 1.9.17 over WiFi it sync'd the clock to the correct time.
I just looked and since then the clock has managed to fall 3.5 days behind.

Is this normal? I really don't care about the clock at all but why am I wasting processor cycles and battery (minimal as the clock's demands may be) on something that doesn't even work?

And I'm not too sure what this says about Kobo as a company...seriously...the Touch has been out for about 10 months now and I'm still putting up with double-taps and the occasional triple-tap and a clock that can't keep time.

These are small things, but still, would I recommend a Touch to a friend looking for an eReader? "Oh you know, sometimes you have to hit the screen a few extra times to turn the page....and umm... the clock, well it doesn't keep accurate time...but on the whole the Touch is adequate."

That sort is of how it would go.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #143
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
I just looked and since then the clock has managed to fall 3.5 days behind
As another data point, since I don't check the clock much when I'm reading, I started my KT to check it. It was last synced over the air when 1.9.17 was released and remained in Airplane mode since. The time is accurate to the minute.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #144
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My clock is about 1 h and 17 minutes off - always was off after syncing. Haven't checked after setting the time correctly myself... hmm...

And btw it's very annoying to set the clock myself. Very slow to respond...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #145
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
Ok, not specifically related to 1.9.17 cause I noticed it on 1.9.16 just before the new firmware came out... but how long has the clock been borked?

I was adding a bunch of new stuff with Calibre and noticed (this is still on 1.9.16) that the clock and date were wrong. "No Biggie" I thought, daylight savings time the week before, leap year this year, maybe it was never correctly set... So I set it. The next day it was something like 10 hours off.

I just looked and since then the clock has managed to fall 3.5 days behind.

Is this normal? I really don't care about the clock at all but why am I wasting processor cycles and battery (minimal as the clock's demands may be) on something that doesn't even work?

And I'm not too sure what this says about Kobo as a company...seriously...the Touch has been out for about 10 months now and I'm still putting up with double-taps and the occasional triple-tap and a clock that can't keep time.

These are small things, but still, would I recommend a Touch to a friend looking for an eReader? "Oh you know, sometimes you have to hit the screen a few extra times to turn the page....and umm... the clock, well it doesn't keep accurate time...but on the whole the Touch is adequate."

That sort is of how it would go.
The clock is updated every time you sync via NTP. Make sure you have the correct time zone set under settings. If you still find it to be off please post your timezone here so we can investigate.

Thanks
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #146
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just wondering if anyone has tried downloading an ePub from a Calibe Content Server?

When I try the book seems to come down, but then, on exiting the browser the Touch reboots.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #147
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
The clock is updated every time you sync via NTP. Make sure you have the correct time zone set under settings. If you still find it to be off please post your timezone here so we can investigate.

Thanks
I select Toronto, or Ottawa, and the Kobo sets me at UTC -4:00.

The time zone was correctly set.

The Kobo is currently showing Monday, March 19, 2012 9:20 pm
while the actual time and date is Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:30 pm

And as I say, I sync'd just last week with the new firmware.

Thanks.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #148
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried downloading an ePub from a Calibe Content Server?

When I try the book seems to come down, but then, on exiting the browser the Touch reboots.
I can reproduce that bug, didn't have that problem before the update.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #149
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
I can reproduce that bug, didn't have that problem before the update.
Thats what I thought too. Thanks for the confirmation
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #150
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Similar thing happens here. First time it restarted at tapping a book's link, have not downloaded it. Second time downloaded but restarted at going back to home screen. Third and fourth time it restarted immediately after reaching the content server's page, hadn't even a chance to choose a book. Fifth time is the same as second.
I never had any problem with it before, but now it's totally unreliable.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote