Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should voting results be hidden or visible in 2012?
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden. 17 47.22%
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Viewable. 7 19.44%
Each month, we should alternate between Hidden and Viewable. 10 27.78%
Other (Please explain in comments). 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #91
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Looks good to me!
Ditto.
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #92
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
So here's my suggestion for a poll. Do there need to be any changes before I put it up?
I'm fine with the poll options, and would like to offer a proposal (that I mentioned earlier in the thread) for a time schedule should tiered voting succeed:

We keep the initial poll up for 5 days like it is now, but limit the run-off poll to 3 days. With nominations usually only taking a day or two, the whole process is done in 10 days.

As people are gearing up for the discussions of the current month, they can be thinking of their nominations for the next month.

If we start the nomination process for the next month around the 15th of the month, while keeping the discussions for the current month at starting on the 20th, (providing things go smoothly) we'd be done and dusted around the 25th of the month, meaning it would work for February as well.

Example:

January 15: Start Nomination thread for February
January 17: Start Initial Voting Poll for February
January 20: Start Discussion Thread for January
January 22: Start Run Off Poll for February
January 25: Results are in for February
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #93
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Changing the poll question to Should we dump one classic month for YA in 2012? would make it a good poll.
Or, "should we drop one classic month for 'Award Winner' in 2013?" (2012 is not up for change at this time.) Or "drop one classic month for 'religion' category?" Or "drop one classic month for Historical Fiction?" (Defined as "a book set in a time period recognizably before the one in which it was written.")

YA is not the only other option, and is as poorly defined as "classic" unless we're limiting it to recent mainstream publications. And it probably shouldn't be limited to YA... if the club wants to vote on "Goodnight Moon" as a children's ebook, that's fine.

I'd like more discussion of what genres or categories aren't currently available (unless they happen to be classics, or get nominated under freeforall) before deciding which one would best replace the second "classic" month.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #94
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The poll on two-tier voting is up.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159112
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #95
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I would have voted for open if I had seen this thread in time, hidden just sucks all the fun out of it and its not even worth participating in that way. Oh well not a big deal really..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I would have voted for open if I had seen this thread in time, hidden just sucks all the fun out of it and its not even worth participating in that way. Oh well not a big deal really..
The reason we need hidden is because people have admitted to voting based on the votes of others. So it became the first 2 or 3 books to get the most votes got to be one of the winners. That's not how it should be. We should be voting for what we want to read, not because we feel our vote may not count for anything or because someone else voted for a certain book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #97
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
We should be voting for what we want to read, not because we feel our vote may not count for anything or because someone else voted for a certain book.
Well said.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #98
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
The reason we need hidden is because people have admitted to voting based on the votes of others. So it became the first 2 or 3 books to get the most votes got to be one of the winners. That's not how it should be. We should be voting for what we want to read, not because we feel our vote may not count for anything or because someone else voted for a certain book.
yes so you have said month after month at least a thousand times by now why it must be your way and no one else's opinions matter. did you think I did not see it the first hundred times you've posted this response ? I stated before I vote for what I want regardless of which way the votes are going but you ignore that because it doesnt fit your agenda. You just kept railroading this hidden vote until eventually you got your way. My biggest reason for not participating in the book club any more is you, your constant complaining if its not one thing its another 2 or 3 pages complaining and picking fights about series order one month! another month you go on about a book not belong in that category, it doesnt matter, it's never ending. you always find a way or something to complain about. what was it this month ? your complaining seems to of been deleted, lolita was that what you picked to whine about this month ? do you already have planed what you will complain about with next months selections or is it a spur of the moment thing ? I would just put you on ignore but I still have to see the responses from all the people you badger. it's easier to just not participate in the book club.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #99
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
yes so you have said month after month at least a thousand times by now why it must be your way and no one else's opinions matter. did you think I did not see it the first hundred times you've posted this response ? I stated before I vote for what I want regardless of which way the votes are going but you ignore that because it doesnt fit your agenda. You just kept railroading this hidden vote until eventually you got your way. My biggest reason for not participating in the book club any more is you, your constant complaining if its not one thing its another 2 or 3 pages complaining and picking fights about series order one month! another month you go on about a book not belong in that category, it doesnt matter, it's never ending. you always find a way or something to complain about. what was it this month ? your complaining seems to of been deleted, lolita was that what you picked to whine about this month ? do you already have planed what you will complain about with next months selections or is it a spur of the moment thing ? I would just put you on ignore but I still have to see the responses from all the people you badger. it's easier to just not participate in the book club.
Well said.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #100
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Never mind.

Last edited by issybird; 12-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #101
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Never mind.
of course, that's the most constructive approach. Personally, I am still under shock after the Lolita caper. So I am taking your advice at the letter, although never is a funny word
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #102
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:

Yes! I'm afraid next year we will be sacrificing fun for correctness (if a hidden vote will provide a more correct result at all). If we would have at least tried it with alternate voting each month.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #103
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be a better approach just to check in to see what is being read for this month and decide whether I want to participate or not.

I might help some nominations get over the line and then back away from the circus until it's time to actually read something.

I've noticed the discussion threads are usually without drama, so if I'm careful I can just have fun discussing books with other readers.

Have you considered this approach? It's my new year's resolution so I can't tell you if it's been a huge improvement, but it seems plausible that the whole process will become enjoyable again if you try this strategy.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #104
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be a better approach just to check in to see what is being read for this month and decide whether I want to participate or not.

I might help some nominations get over the line and then back away from the circus until it's time to actually read something.

I've noticed the discussion threads are usually without drama, so if I'm careful I can just have fun discussing books with other readers.

Have you considered this approach? It's my new year's resolution so I can't tell you if it's been a huge improvement, but it seems plausible that the whole process will become enjoyable again if you try this strategy.
I like this approach
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #105
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Tom, despite all of his other moderating duties, has worked very hard to make sure all book club participants have been heard on the various aspects of this club. Yes, this month has been dedicated to procedure, but it was for the very reason of not having to go through all of it over again next year. Becuase of all of these polls and discussions, the procedures for 2012 are set.
If this works, then technically, the procedures for 2013 and on are set. If this doesn't work, then this time next year, everyone will again get to voice their opinions.
I am dismayed at the "I'm taking my ball and going home" reaction. Tom could have very easily acted as a dictator, and whatever we got was all we would get.

Personally, I am looking forward to next year, even though I didn't get everything I wanted. Why, because, I love the idea of this club, I love be encouraged to read genres I would normally pass by, I love having a place to discuss those books, with (sometimes) like minded individuals, and I love learning new things (like Sun Surfer's tidbit with the Christmas Carol - Over on the December thread).

I have made the book club a part of my personal reading challenge for 2012, and I hope I can find and afford every selection.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote