Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
joshy
joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Sharp WG-N/S20
Sharp WG-N/S20 enotebook as ereader?

Hi all,

I was just browsing the stores today (I live in Japan) and saw the Sharp WG-N20/S20 enote books (or what do you call them). I'm actually thinking that they would make ideal compact e-note taking devices and combined ereader, however they don't seem to support standard ereading stuff like epub and mobi, but seem to allow for importing jpeg/bmp (and possibly pdf too, but unsure about that). I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this, and if it would work well to convert books and read on the N20/S20 (actually don't quite get the difference between N20/S20 except for some cosmetic appearance).

Optionally thinking of the Kobo Aura to take notes with (in the sketch app), but not sure how good that will work.
joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
How heavy-duty is the notetaking you expect to be doing? If it's anything more than fairly trivial, have you considered a small tablet?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
joshy
joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Sharp WG-N/S20
I had a Thinkpad 8 before but didn't use it much, I think an ereader based device would be better for me due to the long battery life and outdoor redability, also there are almost no tablets with fine point styluses available. Not sure how much notetaking I'll do though but since I want to get an ereader I thought haivng a note function too could be really practical.
joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Doesnt look like this can be used as an ereader. It might be underpowered enough to just function as an EWriter, boogieboard like.

A better choice would be to use one of the many samsung tablets, sony z ultra or if you still want a look alike, Asus EA800(amazon.jp). Contrast is quite bad, but writes excellently.
one of the many wacom based eink readers like Onyx M92 would be a good choice too. I think Sony ereaders can write too(prs-950 did)
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
linereader
Enthusiast
linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshy View Post
Hi all,

I was just browsing the stores today (I live in Japan) and saw the Sharp WG-N20/S20 enote books (or what do you call them).
Several YouTube videos are around showing the Sharp WG-N20 and Sharp WG-S20 devices in action (more useful if you can understand Japanese).

I don't know a word of Japanese but I think the device is unique and cheap enough to justify a purchase, even though the screen looks nothing like paper. Mine will probably arrive in a week or two and I'll work around the Japanese (like some Amazon reviews suggest).

If Sharp management had any sense they'd release an English-language version (as a bare minimum). Especially now since their solar business is going bad.
linereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert