Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club June 2011 Run-Off Vote
On The Beach by Nevil Shute 12 35.29%
The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #31
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I've only read 2 chapters and the second was absolutely riveting. I'm not sure what purpose the story of Jesus and Pontius Pilate is going to have for the rest of the book but I devoured it.
Like a number of themes and traits, Bulgakov might have modeled it after Goethes's Faust.

This is what I copy/pasted from an essay about Faust that I received as a private communication.

... In the second part, however, many find themselves in foreign country – much like the science fiction of the 20th century – as the established narrative seems sunken into the ground and the characters suddenly move from Antiquity, through the Middle Ages and into the future. ...
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #32
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm kinda wishing that Bulkakov wrote a whole story on the passion of Christ. I'm sure I would have found it an immersive experience.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #33
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thanks!

Then I need to hurry up
Then I need to start...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #34
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Then I need to start...
See orlok run.

Run, orlok, run!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #35
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
See orlok run.

Run, orlok, run!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #36
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a couple of interesting ressources:

http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/en/index.html

The myth of Goethe's Faust in The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gui...pageNum-1.html

I also searched high and wide for a free full version in English of Goethe's Faust, but found only the first part.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #37
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Thanks for the links..

Quote:
I also searched high and wide for a free full version in English of Goethe's Faust, but found only the first part.
Will this work?

http://en.goethe-faust.org/
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #38
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately they've never put the text of the second part online. Only prepared space for it.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #39
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Thanks, but unfortunately they've never put the text of the second part online. Only prepared space for it.
Doh!
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #40
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I found a pdf copy scanned in Google books. Just put the following in the Google books search engine and you should get it. "Goethe's Faust, Part 2
By Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, John Bathurst Deanne"
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #41
Ea
Wizard

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #42
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So the discussion has already begun?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #43
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Re the Christ story within the story, I'm not sure yet how it relates to the story as a whole, but I did read in one of my books that when he was writing this book Bulgakov was reading several historical christianity texts that approached Christ from a historical rather than religious perspective. That explains why many of the Biblical trappings are eliminated from his version.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #44
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So the discussion has already begun?
Not me. Just preparation so I actually have something to say when we start on the 17th
Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #45
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:

http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/en/index.html

The myth of Goethe's Faust in The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gui...pageNum-1.html

Here is another good source for The Master and Margarita.

http://cr.middlebury.edu/Bulgakov/PUBLIC_HTML/
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, run-off