Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
il_mix
Enthusiast
il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Good protective cover

Hi everyone!
Since the Kobo Touch it's a mobile device...well, I would like to carry it around
I'm looking for a good protective cover, and I would like to have some hints about the cover that you are using.

What is a "good protective cover" for me:
- book-like cover like this, not a sleeve/case like this;
- tough front cover (the reader could be randomly put in my trekking backpack...) to avoid screen damage (also: what about the chance of display damage?)
- all buttons and connectors must be reachable with the cover on
- well fitted for the Kobo Touch dimensions
- leather and similar worries me a little (prone to wear and tear). Share your experience about this

Thanks to everyone!!!
MIX
il_mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_mix View Post
Hi everyone!
Since the Kobo Touch it's a mobile device...well, I would like to carry it around
I'm looking for a good protective cover, and I would like to have some hints about the cover that you are using.

What is a "good protective cover" for me:
- book-like cover like this, not a sleeve/case like this;
- tough front cover (the reader could be randomly put in my trekking backpack...) to avoid screen damage (also: what about the chance of display damage?)
- all buttons and connectors must be reachable with the cover on
- well fitted for the Kobo Touch dimensions
- leather and similar worries me a little (prone to wear and tear). Share your experience about this

Thanks to everyone!!!
MIX
You know you make a good point what is a good protective cover. It would be nice to see if Companies such as Gumdrop or Otterbox would create a decent hardshell to protect our Kobo E-Readers. I like to carry mine around as well but im nervous about breaking the screen. Even the mini is at risk especially since its pocket sized.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You know you make a good point what is a good protective cover. It would be nice to see if Companies such as Gumdrop or Otterbox would create a decent hardshell to protect our Kobo E-Readers. I like to carry mine around as well but im nervous about breaking the screen.

The only one of that type that I've seen so far is by BookArmor. There are a few on ebay.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I got a BookArmor Shield case for my Glo: http://www.extremeinkjet.com/Case_fo..._p/baskglo.htm

It suits my needs quite well, I travel with it in my backpack or bike pannier. I always take the Glo out of the case to read, although you can access all the buttons (but not the SD slot) if you had to read with the case on

The only real problem with it is that it is quite large. I think it would be possible to design a much smaller hard shell case, I would buy one if someone did.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The only one of that type that I've seen so far is by BookArmor. There are a few on ebay.
Now that's starting to get there. ITs reasonably priced....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BookArmor-Sh...item3cc4369dd3

Regards

JAck
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I got a BookArmor Shield case for my Glo: http://www.extremeinkjet.com/Case_fo..._p/baskglo.htm

It suits my needs quite well, I travel with it in my backpack or bike pannier. I always take the Glo out of the case to read, although you can access all the buttons (but not the SD slot) if you had to read with the case on

The only real problem with it is that it is quite large. I think it would be possible to design a much smaller hard shell case, I would buy one if someone did.
Overall how solid of a design is it in terms of protection. Is it solid or is there still room for improvement aside from the size.... Would making it smaller improve the protection or does the current size add a measure of additional protection?

regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 07-23-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Overall how solid of a design is it in terms of protection. Is it solid or is there still room for improvement aside from the size.... Would making it smaller improve the protection or does the current size add a measure of additional protection?
There is a fair space between the case and the reader's screen so it can take a bit of pressure, good enough to stop it being crushed in a backpack. But if I stood on the case it would bend and the reader inside would probably still get crushed.

Edit: If the case was smaller it could be made out of thicker plastic without being any heavier. Being smaller I think it could be made rigid enough to stand up to being stood on.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-23-2013 at 07:14 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
il_mix
Enthusiast
il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I don't really like the zipped covers; looks less comfortable that normal ones. As GeoffR said, it seems too "bulky", and one needs to extract the ereader to read...and it's a little tedious.
By the way, they looks more "protective".
Question: the three ereader holders are rigid? This is a good feature in my opinion; the screen is protected by the rigid cover (hopefully a really rigid cover...) and the Kobo case is also protected from pressure thanks to these rigid holders.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
il_mix
Enthusiast

Looks hard to find a BookArmor cover in Italy (where I live). Adding shipping costs and import duty, the price is prohibitive...

Maybe I could test a normal zipped case, and if it seems comfortable, improve its toughness with some DIY.

Mumble, mumble...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_mix View Post
Looks hard to find a BookArmor cover in Italy (where I live). Adding shipping costs and import duty, the price is prohibitive...

Maybe I could test a normal zipped case, and if it seems comfortable, improve its toughness with some DIY.

Mumble, mumble...
Hmmm but DIY might be method to some profit if You came up with a good design that you could sell.

regards

JAck
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
hi this is the one i bought and its perfect i am very clumsy and 'touch wood' i have not had any accidents with it and i take mine everywhere

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, protect