Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

Finally understand how to put user fonts on Sony Reader!

THere are two tricky things:

1) There is a so file, called libfreetype.so.6.3.10, there's a link for this so file, called libfreetype.so.lnk. When you build your opt.fs, the path in link file is the path of your computer, not path in your SONY Reader, you need modify it by hand.

2) Once you put your user fonts under /FONT directory, you need to rebuild fonts database. If you ever tryed update fonts in linux, that's pretty much the same procedure, I guess (it is just the guess now)

Tell you, I studied all so called successful stories about implant user fonts reported here, they are very much fake. At least the Korean story is not true. The Russian story, they modified tt0003m_.ttf, since Russian fonts is not like Korean or Japanese, it is very small, so I don't think that's a standard procedure.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well, looks pretty tricky to me.
You can embed fonts with PDF files, so I guess that for russian or asian languages, it's much easier to create PDF files right now.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
True, but if there's a way to build a utility to do this for me for RTFs that'd be very nice -- it'd allow skipping the "make a PDF" step.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by db100
THere are two tricky things:

1) There is a so file, called libfreetype.so.6.3.10, there's a link for this so file, called libfreetype.so.lnk. When you build your opt.fs, the path in link file is the path of your computer, not path in your SONY Reader, you need modify it by hand.

2) Once you put your user fonts under /FONT directory, you need to rebuild fonts database. If you ever tryed update fonts in linux, that's pretty much the same procedure, I guess (it is just the guess now)

Tell you, I studied all so called successful stories about implant user fonts reported here, they are very much fake. At least the Korean story is not true. The Russian story, they modified tt0003m_.ttf, since Russian fonts is not like Korean or Japanese, it is very small, so I don't think that's a standard procedure.
Yep. So far, the localization can be done through replacing/modifying the three fonts inside the Reader. Russian and Ukrainian are already working because all you need to do is add some 30-40 glyphs that are mostly based on the existing glyphs in the font.

Yesterday I added the Japanese font that Sony used in Librie. It works; however, the small size in txt is broken (too small for the font metrics, I guess). In addition, I had to strip the font of some characters because the /opt partition (where the fonts are located) has a limited size. The maximum size of the font so far seems to be somewhere around 4.5MB. Igorsk, do you know the exact size of the /opt partition? The good thing is that this partition is in cramfs file system (which is compressed).

The fonts are copyrighted, so I don't think somebody would be sharing the modified fonts here.

I may post screenshots of Japanese text on the Reader later.

Last edited by tuktuk; 01-17-2007 at 01:53 PM.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

7M total. the maximum size of fonts you can put is about 3.5M, this is problem in most of CJK fonts. You might think about modify xml file and put fonts to different location.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
There is a problem with the smallest size of the characters as seen on the second picture. Other sizes work great. Any ideas how I can fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1825
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	2663   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2664   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1804
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	2665  

Last edited by tuktuk; 01-19-2007 at 03:54 PM.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote