Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Covers, covers and damn statistics (wait, I got that wrong).

So here's three of my latest covers for work about to be released into the wild. All of these are done utilising the free graphics program 'The Gimp' which is available for Linux, OSX and Windows and images from Stock Exchange. Some are simplistic, others took a little more work. If you have any questions about using The Gimp, I'll try to help, if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbirdssmall.png
Views:	423
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	54136   Click image for larger version

Name:	rorschachsands.png
Views:	422
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	54137   Click image for larger version

Name:	liseusesmall.png
Views:	419
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	54138   Click image for larger version

Name:	yvesmontessmall.png
Views:	412
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	54139  
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moejoe, your covers are beautifully simple and eye-catching. They make you stop and want to check them out. Are the shorts a mix of genres?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Moejoe, your covers are beautifully simple and eye-catching. They make you stop and want to check them out. Are the shorts a mix of genres?
No genres any more (I pretty much don't do genre now ) The Rorschach Sands is about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and about a man frustrated with not being able to help. I Remember Yves Montes was inspired by the photograph used for the cover (it's called Charlotte and it was taken by someone in love with the girl in the picture who then released it as a stock image, which got me thinking). It's about not wanting to be known after you die or leave any sadness behind or even know the sadness of someone dying. Liseuse is about nostalgia for the past and how you have to let that go. Rainbirds is a mix of oddness, sentiment and weird stuff...(still completing that one).

Rorschach should be out some time today with Yves tomorrow and Liseuse on Tuesday

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-27-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned

Here's a snippet from Rorschach:

Matthew couldn’t answer. He kissed her. He ran his hand across her back and to the front where he traced the ‘S’ of her pregnant body and for a moment, just a small moment in day that was slow with oil and death, there was hope. A child that lay beneath the red and the tears and the unanswered question. A child that one day might never have to see the horror. A child that might grow up in a world that was free from these mornings and the days that he knew would follow.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A child that might grow up in a world that was free from these mornings and the days that he knew would follow.
What's great about your stories, Moejoe, is I never know what to expect when reading them. They are always unexpected and enjoyable to read. Please let me know when you let them loose in the wild, so I can "catch" one to read. I'd love to have one of your stories be the first to be read on my Sony, now that my eyes are almost healed.
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Here's a snippet from Rorschach:

Matthew couldn’t answer. He kissed her. He ran his hand across her back and to the front where he traced the ‘S’ of her pregnant body and for a moment, just a small moment in day that was slow with oil and death, there was hope. A child that lay beneath the red and the tears and the unanswered question. A child that one day might never have to see the horror. A child that might grow up in a world that was free from these mornings and the days that he knew would follow.
Can I offer a bit of free unasked for proofreading? Is there an article missing from, "...just a small moment in day that was slow..."?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Can I offer a bit of free unasked for proofreading? Is there an article missing from, "...just a small moment in day that was slow..."?
Sure, you can offer.... But it's staying how it is. I like the cadence of the sentence and how it sounds inside my head. Whether it is a hundred percent grammatically correct, well, that's up for debate, and also plenty of discussion (but not here). Any typos though, I'd be glad to hear about. Oh, and please don't take this as offence, I just firmly believe that any adherence to pure grammar detracts from individuality in the written word. It is not a slur on you or meant to put under question your observation (which is true, by the way).

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-27-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
What's great about your stories, Moejoe, is I never know what to expect when reading them. They are always unexpected and enjoyable to read. Please let me know when you let them loose in the wild, so I can "catch" one to read. I'd love to have one of your stories be the first to be read on my Sony, now that my eyes are almost healed.
What happened to your eyes? Did I miss a thread? I hope it wasn't something horrible, like a swarm of bees or bees that mated with spiders to become....spees!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
What happened to your eyes? Did I miss a thread? I hope it wasn't something horrible, like a swarm of bees or bees that mated with spiders to become....spees!!!
THAT'S my worse nightmare! A combination of the two things I hate.

It was a dumb mistake that caused the accident. I posted it here. I am totally frustrated because it's summer and I want to be out back by the pond, kicked back, and reading. I can read for short periods with enlarged text, but I am still getting major headaches from the strain. I didn't learn about all the scary stuff, and how lucky I was, until afterward.

I just noticed the time! I think I need to go to bed before the sun comes up. Have a great day, Moejoe.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
THAT'S my worse nightmare! A combination of the two things I hate.

It was a dumb mistake that caused the accident. I posted it here. I am totally frustrated because it's summer and I want to be out back by the pond, kicked back, and reading. I can read for short periods with enlarged text, but I am still getting major headaches from the strain. I didn't learn about all the scary stuff, and how lucky I was, until afterward.

I just noticed the time! I think I need to go to bed before the sun comes up. Have a great day, Moejoe.
I remember the thread now, my memory is terrible lately Well I hope your eyes are feeling better and that you don't pour any more chemicals into them, especially not chemicals that attract swarms of SPEES!!! Run for the hills!!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
What good news to start my Sunday!

Please post a link whenever you do publish them, I can't wait to read! The covers are beautiful in their simplicity. Especially the "I Remember Yves Montes" excerpt you posted somewhere else sounded very intriguing, and I'm extra curious about the Rainbirds (I've got to dig out my Tom Waits mp3s to go with it!).

Now spees are a terrifying idea indeed, and though I hope to never live to see them in person, an artist's interpretation would be very welcome. I like to give myself a scare once in a while
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
What good news to start my Sunday!

Please post a link whenever you do publish them, I can't wait to read! The covers are beautiful in their simplicity. Especially the "I Remember Yves Montes" excerpt you posted somewhere else sounded very intriguing, and I'm extra curious about the Rainbirds (I've got to dig out my Tom Waits mp3s to go with it!).

Now spees are a terrifying idea indeed, and though I hope to never live to see them in person, an artist's interpretation would be very welcome. I like to give myself a scare once in a while
I imagine the Spee might look something like the picture below, only with less of a perm

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Make it go away!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post

Make it go away!!!!!!!!!!!

The horror, the horror!! And dear Gods! The one on the left looks like my old writing teacher!!!!

EDIT: I've just started uploading the Rorschach story to Feedbooks, but it'll only be ready after the England vs Germany match, sometime early this evening BST, around 7pm or so I reckon. I'll post the link in this thread.

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-27-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
omk3
Wizard

The Sp(ider B)ee is on Wikipedia
Spoiler:

(under fictional creatures, thankfully)

I still think your picture was scarier, though.

Great news, a good story to lift the spirits after the game. The timing is perfect