Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
binbinbook
binbinbook began at the beginning.

Device: pp
Do you see somethinig like this on your PP

Does your PP show faint white content of a previous page? I got my replacement from Astak, but I still see ghosting on the screen. Could it be a common issue with Astak's Pocket Pro?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	52744  

Last edited by binbinbook; 06-04-2010 at 03:55 AM.
binbinbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by binbinbook View Post
Does your PP show faint white content of a previous page? I got my replacement from Astak, but I still see ghosting on the screen. Could it be a common issue with Astak's Pocket Pro?

Hmmmmmmmmm, your text contrast is better than I get om my PocketPRO, but I do not see a non-erased background like you are seeing. Mine looks mis-calibrated in the other direction.

The reason for the non-erased background phenomena is usually caused by a mismatch between the waveform file and the e-ink screen itself. The waveform file programs the e-ink screen controller with the correct set of voltage waveforms to correctly write the screen, and it also needs to track temperature changes to compensate for the screen sensitivity variations with temperature. Every batch of screens is likely to require it's own particular waveform file to match the screen characteristics of that batch, and the factory does that during production. However, IF a screen is replaced or a factory error occurs, it is possible that the screen and waveform file will not match, and the waveform calibration will end up being mismatched as yours appears to be.

FWIW, I would rather have your problem.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What firmware are you using?
I see this a tiny bit with may Lbook FW. (Remember the Warranty is only for problems (when) with Astak supplied firmware)

Your contrast looks great. Keep it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I could be that have chosen to use fast updates rather than full updates depending on your firmware. Open the main menu for the current book you are reading by pressing the OK button... then press number 8 (or settings menu), from there you press the the right arrow once, option number 5 should be Display update mode select that one and see if you have "don't use fast updates" selected. This is just based off the firmware that I am using but I know that by using the fast updates the screen doesn't full refresh by having the quick black flash that removes all the previous text displayed. I am willing to deal with the minor ghosting in exchange for the fast update. Good luck!
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Some "ghosting" between pages is normal

Quote:
Dear binbinbook:

Some ghosting is somewhat normal between page turns. This is not a defect in the PP but is the way E-Ink works. It can get better or worse depending on size of book, type of firmware, and other things...all to a lesser extent. What you are seeing is pretty common on all E-Ink devices no matter what brand.

What has the MOST impact on it is type of book regarding going from a darker page like an illustration or cover and then going to a lighter text page.
This can be lessened by ensuring you have a FULL CHARGE on the battery. The factory says that available power is important.

Try recharging really fully... maybe 10-12 hours (at least two hours after the green light comes on).

Always recharge when the Battery Charge Life Meter shows just below 1/2. No need to ever drain the battery. While the phenomena is normal for E-Ink, a full charge should make a major difference.

I hope that this helps!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
binbinbook

I'm using the latest Astak firmware, I can see a black flash when turn a page, so it's not a fast page update. The battery is always fully charged, but makes no difference. I can see these ghosting all the time at different levels, it will be more significant if resting longer on a previous page, then the screen looks so dirty!

Last edited by binbinbook; 06-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I'm using the latest Astak firmware, I can see a black flash when turn a page, so it's not a fast page update. The battery is always fully charged, but makes no difference. I can see these ghosting all the time at different levels, it will be more significant if resting longer on a previous page, then the screen looks so dirty!

The amount of ghosting that you photo shows is definitely not normal for e-ink. Here is a normal ( although a bit dusty and dirty) looking screen from my Hanlin V3:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	52813  
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
That was pretty normal for me on the April 2nd FW. I'd get slight ghosting every 10-12 page flips. Having the page flash again (like hitting my Menu key twice) usually cleared away the ghosted page. Only noticed it once or twice out of hundreds of pages with the Dec 2009 FW.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
binbinbook

Dear Dave_S, thanks for your photo, it looks normal and good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
That was pretty normal for me on the April 2nd FW. I'd get slight ghosting every 10-12 page flips. Having the page flash again (like hitting my Menu key twice) usually cleared away the ghosted page. Only noticed it once or twice out of hundreds of pages with the Dec 2009 FW.
Dear Acreo Aeneas, thanks for your reply. You are so lucky that you see slight ghosting only every 10-12 pages, but I see it on every page, yes, every page, and I'm not able to clear it away. I've noticed if resting on a page less than 2 seconds, then there might be no ghosting on the next page, but you must finish reading a page wthin 2 seconds
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

Dear Acreo Aeneas, thanks for your reply. You are so lucky that you see slight ghosting only every 10-12 pages, but I see it on every page, yes, every page, and I'm not able to clear it away. I've noticed if resting on a page less than 2 seconds, then there might be no ghosting on the next page, but you must finish reading a page wthin 2 seconds
I'm thinking the reason why this is occurring might be due to the faster page "flips" with the newer April FW.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I think it time to call or email tech support

Quote:

Dear binbinbook:

The ghosting you are experiencing sure does not seem normal to me. Why not let our tech support people help? You can email to: support@astak.com or phone to: 1-866-368-8788. I cannot tell much from the picture you sent but it surely seems the time to get this resolved for you.

You can also send me a PM with your real name and email address and I can walk it over to tech support and "push" it.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
binbinbook

Dear RobertB, I've sent a PM to you.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Yes, i have seen something like than WHEN i use the Lbook firmware AND i set the Display update mode to use Full updates every X number of pages. If you are using that firmware then that might be your problem AFAIK.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
binbinbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Yes, i have seen something like than WHEN i use the Lbook firmware AND i set the Display update mode to use Full updates every X number of pages. If you are using that firmware then that might be your problem AFAIK.
Thanks for your post. I'm using the Astak firmware, always full page update (with black flash)!

Last edited by binbinbook; 06-10-2010 at 02:46 AM.