Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
Question "last book read" shortcut in Kindle 1?

I think I am remembering a shortcut I had on my Sony Reader (now passed on to my daughter) and am wondering if the same thing exists on the Kindle 1. Or am I thinking of my eBookwise? Anyway...

When I am switching back and forth between two books, right now I have to hit "home" then navigate my pages of books to find the 2nd one I want then click that. Is there any kind of shortcut that will take me directly back to the last book I read?

It is do-able this way, but has a few more steps than is convenient and maybe someone out there is smarter about this than me. Thanks in advance.
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I really don't think there is any other way (which is probably why nobody has posted a reply).

It is never a problem for me, as I seldom have more than two pages of books. I usually delete one as soon as I finish, and get only a few samples at a time.

I keep a word document with a list of books I want to get, and when I finish one, go to that list, pick one, and get the sample. That keeps my home page of books to just a few.

Glad to see somebody else still has their Rocket 1100 eBook. Do you still use yours?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

I think you are on to something. I just need to keep my home screen less cluttered...leave books on my computer.

Yes, we do use our 1100, and we love it. I like the font a lot for the kids to read from and the unit is sturdy and easy to navigate. I hope it hangs on for a long, long time. My son loves it because he can read in bed without waking his brothers.

I see them on eBay occasionally and they actually go higher than you would think for such "old" technology. I would love it if someone would come out with a new unit that has those same, rugged characteristics.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Hey, 7, glad the 1100 is still working. That in itself is something to still be going on.It was amazing technology for the time, what with the backlighting and the touch screen.

I don't know if you are aware, but one of the many splendid features is that you can download any two fonts that are on your computer, and pick the point size for each. Then you can switch back and forth.

This is very easy to do by hooking up to the computer and going through all the fonts you have.

It astonished me that so many great features like the dictionary, notes, etc that they had for years were all missing from the Sony Reader when that came out. I got the first one, but immediately switched to the Kindle as soon as it came out.

Now, if only Amazon would let us download any font we want. Oh, yeah, of course, folders too.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
By the way, you do know that you can jump to a page number on the Home Page (by typing the number), or press the first letter of a title (if sorted by title, or author, if sorted by author), and jump to the page with that letter?
Much faster navigating the Home Page that way.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
You can also set the sort to "Most Recent First" which will show the last book opened at the top.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

great tips!

Susan and slm, these are great tips that I did not realize! They will help a lot, thanks so much!