Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Large Screen Reader

Hey all bookworms!

I am currently studying Software Engineering. For those of you who have never seen our books, I think it would suffice to say that the average SE book weighs about 1 kg (2.2 lbs). Hard to carry even one of them in your bag.

As such, I have been looking for a large screen (at least 8 or maybe 9 inches) reader below the $500 line.

So far I have looked at a few.

One that caught my attention is the Amazon Kindle DX. However I am not sure if you can load your own books (I mean those that are not bought from the Amazon E-book Store) on it and if it is legal to use it outside the US (I live in Turkey).

Also, can you please suggest a seller that would ship the reader to Turkey? Amazon
doesn't ship the Kindle to outside the US.

Finally, can you tell if the reader would support the Turkish characters?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long read
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
Hey all bookworms!

I am currently studying Software Engineering. For those of you who have never seen our books, I think it would suffice to say that the average SE book weighs about 1 kg (2.2 lbs). Hard to carry even one of them in your bag.

As such, I have been looking for a large screen (at least 8 or maybe 9 inches) reader below the $500 line.

So far I have looked at a few.

One that caught my attention is the Amazon Kindle DX. However I am not sure if you can load your own books (I mean those that are not bought from the Amazon E-book Store) on it and if it is legal to use it outside the US (I live in Turkey).

Also, can you please suggest a seller that would ship the reader to Turkey? Amazon
doesn't ship the Kindle to outside the US.

Finally, can you tell if the reader would support the Turkish characters?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long read
You can load your own PDFs but you would of course not be able to buy books off af amazon and get them via whispernet. I have heard (although I can not advise) that there is a loophole via gift cards for purchasing books from outside of the US. I am not sure though if it can still be done
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I guess you can try to look for one on eBay. Many people must have taken the opportunity to service the overseas market, as Amazon will not. But it will be more expensive.

Irex is also coming with a 8.1" reader this month, which may be better suited as it will not be a closed reader like the DX. It will support the Epub format and will probably have a better PDF support than the DX.
(The DX only have a limited PDF support and for example don't support Table of contents links or zoom, which for big ebooks is annoying).
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I suggest you wait a few months, new readers from Irex (mentioned above), Netronix, Plastic Logics will arrive. I think a better way to buy US only products than on Ebay is a US address/forwarding service like shipito.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote