Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #46
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I wonder if someone from pocketbook or bookeen ever trying installing the other one's firmware.

How does the pocketbook handle ePub ? You know hyphens, justification. One of the good point, don't use ADE, no crappy page numbers.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #47
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
FBReader doesn't handle ePub not that well, after all. Hypenation & justification are fine, but don't expect either cover or any formatting based in the html code.

Pocketbook's FW update is to take care of that and display DRM-ePub as well.

But, yup, you're right, at least no page numbers.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #48
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
So use ADE and add page number . I really hope adobe get to work on that one...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #49
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
FBReader doesn't handle ePub not that well, after all. Hypenation & justification are fine, but don't expect either cover or any formatting based in the html code.

But, yup, you're right, at least no page numbers.
Update: FBReader does handle graphics and cover now! ADE is working fine, as well!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
FBReader does handle graphics and cover now!
Providing they are image-based, FBReader does not support SVG or image in-lining with text (e.g. sometimes used for fancy drop caps).

I read all my ePubs using FBReader under OpenInkPot, and it works very well. I have not yet come across a SVG-heavy ebook, but a Calibre conversion to MOBI and back to ePub convert SVGs to JPEGs. I don't know if there is a way to force this for all ePub output from Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #51
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Providing they are image-based, FBReader does not support SVG or image in-lining with text (e.g. sometimes used for fancy drop caps).

I read all my ePubs using FBReader under OpenInkPot, and it works very well. I have not yet come across a SVG-heavy ebook, but a Calibre conversion to MOBI and back to ePub convert SVGs to JPEGs. I don't know if there is a way to force this for all ePub output from Calibre.
Yep, the inline thing is bothering. But then again, you can read those ePubs with your fonts, your margins, your font size and no ridiculous page numbers or other ADE inventions!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #52
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
really ? no css formatting, is that what i understand ? no inline images in FBReader ? that's really disappointing. even without talking about image dropcaps it's much nicer to be able to have the images inline. no inline images puts it almost back to the level of mobipocket format ; it's really a shame. do you know if they plan to fix that soon ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #53
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
really ? no css formatting, is that what i understand ? no inline images in FBReader ? that's really disappointing. even without talking about image dropcaps it's much nicer to be able to have the images inline. no inline images puts it almost back to the level of mobipocket format ; it's really a shame. do you know if they plan to fix that soon ?
Yes, their version of FBReader 2 is announced for March! In that version, it seems, CSS support can be switched on and off, whichever you prefer!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yes, their version of FBReader 2 is announced for March! In that version, it seems, CSS support can be switched on and off, whichever you prefer!
sheesh, i would certainly hope it would be on by default ! i didn't know that about fbreader. i would MUCH rather have some page numbers in the side margin than no css support !!! how that they claim epub support if they don't support css ???
Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
how that they claim epub support if they don't support css ???
FBReader was originally designed for devices with very small screens (and slow cpus), where most CSS has be be ignored anyway. ZuluReader, for example "supports" ePub but not all CSS on Windows Mobile. The iPhone platform probably is capable of supporting full up ePubs but this might be a close call, does Stanza (for example) support CSS?

FBReader's original philosophy was to provide the user-specified look and feel across all input ebook types. The industry has obviously gone in the opposite direction, with all ebooks as ePubs and ePub Readers required to honour CSS.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FBReader was originally designed for devices with very small screens (and slow cpus), where most CSS has be be ignored anyway. ZuluReader, for example "supports" ePub but not all CSS on Windows Mobile. The iPhone platform probably is capable of supporting full up ePubs but this might be a close call, does Stanza (for example) support CSS?

FBReader's original philosophy was to provide the user-specified look and feel across all input ebook types. The industry has obviously gone in the opposite direction, with all ebooks as ePubs and ePub Readers required to honour CSS.
thank you for that explanation ; it does makes sense for those reasons. personally i feel really strongly about reading ebooks which are beautiful, so the idea of no css support... well... horrifies me. nonetheless, i do hope they will add this support for use on dedicated devices which have fast enough cpu, etc. to handle it. for me it's really an important part of the reading experience.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #57
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The epubs are nicely formatted in ADE on the PB 360. You just have to deal with the limitations inherent to the software: page numbers, fixed font, limited font sizes, limited ability to customize the formatting.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #58
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The epubs are nicely formatted in ADE on the PB 360. You just have to deal with the limitations inherent to the software: page numbers, fixed font, limited font sizes, limited ability to customize the formatting.
Yeah, essentially you may choose between two options! Either the ADE rendering with those pagenumbers or FBReader's more "liberal" interpretation. I'm catching myself using FBReader more and more!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-05-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #59
sartakov
sartakov began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 5550+opie
i started pocketbook 301+ firmware on gen3, and i think if hardware similar it possible too. but now i cant try it, cos no opus or pb360, wich i can disassemble and make "examination".
sartakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #60
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Gee, I really wish someone would find a way to flash the opus with the pocketbook 360 firmware (which seems to be already great and foremost periodically updated).

I know that it is possible but complicated, but it seems that noone who knows a bit about those things (aka not me) is interested enough to spend some time on it. I understand that of course, but it is a pity really.... I might end up in the end getting the PB 360 and selling the opus. I like the design of the opus, but really the crashing is so annoying. And I am through waiting for a fairytale update of their firmware, really......
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opus, pocketbook 360