Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Sakura
Enthusiast
Sakura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & DX
Exclamation Kindle in a purse with two magnetic closures

I have a purse with two magnetic closure I recently bought...before I got my Kindle. I was not sure if it was safe to put my kindle or iPhone in there or if the magnets would damage my Kindle.

Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Magnets will do no harm whatsover to your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Sakura
Enthusiast
Sakura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & DX
Thank you Harry

What about iphone or ipod ?
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
iPods have been known to eat Kindles. I'd keep them on their leash.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Seriously, my wife keeps her iPod in her purse with magnet closures and has not had any complaints.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I have several very strong magnets in my purse (kept there to test how well the Kindle, iPods, and iPhone do around magnets because I was working on a case with magnetic closures), and after several months with magnets with a combined pulling force of about 25 pounds, I've had no problems whatsoever with any of them.

Also, for what it's worth, no problems with my credit card ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I have several very strong magnets in my purse (kept there to test how well the Kindle, iPods, and iPhone do around magnets because I was working on a case with magnetic closures), and after several months with magnets with a combined pulling force of about 25 pounds, I've had no problems whatsoever with any of them.

Are these solid state iPods or hard drive versions? Magnets don't affect flash memory type storage because it isn't magnetic based.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Exclamation Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow. That's a pretty blanket statement to make there Harry especially considering you're absolutely wrong.

The term for what the magnets can do is Electro Magnetic Interference or EMI.

Magnets can and do interfere with cellphones. The Kindle has a cellphone radio in it.

While the magnets jamming the cellphone in the Kindle won't make anyone miss an important call they can raise the noise level for the radio causing it to pour on more power to reach the network clearly.

More power means a shorter time until it must be re-charged. A Kindle battery only has so many charge cycles in it before it must be replaced.

So if hauling your Kindle around next to magnets results in your Kindle needing a new battery earlier than otherwise? I call that harm Harry.

If you are worried about SAR, the impact of absorption of the radio waves on your body, having your Kindle broadcasting at a higher power level means more SAR. So magnets could lead to higher levels of absorbed radio power by your body. Not technically harm for the Kindle but if you are genetically pre-disposed to certain types of cancer you might not want that.

And of course if you were hauling your Kindle around expecting a Mobileread blog update to be delivered and it didn't come in due to EMI... well the horror can't be measured.

My background.

I've designed handheld portable computers and nursed them through FCC trials. Part of the point to those tests is to investigate EMI. Both EMI to the unit and EMI caused by the unit. During the testing you actually measure the impact of things such as magnetic fields being placed near various points of the unit.

Funny this comes up because...

The original Kindle was going to have a magnetically attached reading light until testing revealed the radio interference this caused and they nixed the magnetically attached reading light. Probably discovered during the FCC trials. :-)

My advice to friends and loved ones...

Blackberry uses magnets in their belt holsters. This is generally given as a "myth buster" when the topic of "Does a magnet impact my cellphone" comes up. However, Blackberry uses flat sheet magnets which are essentially plastic magnets. They are low power and use their large surface area to hold the holster flap closed. Also keep in mind that the Blackberries are designed knowing exactly where those magnets will be placed.

Anyway that's what I recommend: get purses etc that use flat sheet magnets. Not things that use those button sized rare earth "will hold your body weight or your money back" magnets.

Personally I prefer velcro myself and save my cancer risks up for things like bacon.

Also, EMI clears up with distance, it isn't a permanent effect. So the purse designer that carried her phone around with magnets in her purse will find her phone working quite well after taking it out of her purse. If she missed any calls due to EMI I'm sure she just chalked it up to her !@#$ cellphone carrier.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Scotty,

But all that you said, is the kindle physically harmed? When the magnets are removed the cell phone will work just fine?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
But do you really think the weak little magnets used on a purse are going to cause that much trouble, especially if the Kindle is in a case?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post

The term for what the magnets can do is Electro Magnetic Interference or EMI.
Ahhh.... I don't think so...

There is no "electro" in a regular ferrous magnet. There is a magnetic field but it is not produced by an electric current. Unless you have a power outlet in your purse.

EMI describes rapidly changing electrical current causing magnetic lines of flux to rapidly change. There is no such thing in a regular ferrous magnet.

A strong ferrous magnet can affect hard drives and floppy disks due to re-arranging the polarity of the disk surface. But should have no effect on a kindle or cell phone.

Last edited by NavyDad6; 03-07-2009 at 03:27 PM.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
As Mythbusters demonstrated in one of episodes it takes VERY strong magnet to damage a credit card.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
most people dont carry around magnets strong enough to do damage to devices like this, i wouldn't worry. unless you are carrying around rare earth magnets or something, which would be weird.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are these solid state iPods or hard drive versions? Magnets don't affect flash memory type storage because it isn't magnetic based.

BOb
I think both of my iPods are hard drive versions ... not solid state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
As Mythbusters demonstrated in one of episodes it takes VERY strong magnet to damage a credit card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKat View Post
most people dont carry around magnets strong enough to do damage to devices like this, i wouldn't worry. unless you are carrying around rare earth magnets or something, which would be weird.
Nothing weird about it. As I mentioned, I am carrying around eight rare earth magnets (size roughly 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch each), and I believe the pulling power is about 12 pounds per magnet. I thought I only had four in there, but I just checked and there are actually eight.

I put them in there purely as an experiment to see what a few rare earth magnets would do (if anything) to electronic devices and credit cards .... and the answer is .... zip, after a few months of almost constant close contact.

My background? None having to do with magnets and electronic equipment, I was just curious and when I'm curious about something, I tend to set up an experiment and find my own answer.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But...but what if I throw one at it really, REALLY hard?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote