Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
eReader quality going down?

In late January, I bought the 5th book in a series (2 weeks after the paper and Kindle edition were available, but that's another post). I own the previous 4 in eReader format.

This 5th book is missing ALL quotation marks, all accented characters are deleted, and paragraphs and words are smushed together at what was probably the line break in the print edition. This makes the book basically unreadable -- I had to stop after 2 chapters because dialogue is impossible to follow.

2 other books I bought on the same order also have similar quality control issues, although not as severe, so I was able to read them. 2 other ones are fine, but they are older books, not new releases. So I'm 3/5 for QC problems on just one order.

I opened a support ticket on 2/3, with no response from Fictionwise/eReader.com

Is anyone else having similar eReader QC issues? Books I've downloaded before this order are still fine, so I don't think it is a problem with my setup (eReader 3.0.0fp on a Treo 680)

Bree
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Have you tried re-downloading? If it is possible to download your order either in one file or individual book files, you could also try doing it the other way from what you did the first time.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
conversion

It sounds like it was converted from another format. Frequently the " and ' are turned into ? and accents tend to go away.

I believe that this is caused by the "smart" " and 's which don't get reformatted properly during conversion.

I am surprised that these problems show up in a ereader formatted book though.

I frequently get this when I convert mobi or pdf documents.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Have you tried re-downloading? If it is possible to download your order either in one file or individual book files, you could also try doing it the other way from what you did the first time.
Twice, just in case it was a corrupted file or they uploaded a fixed one without telling me.

Still no improvement.

But your post inspired me to do a little more troubleshooting. So I opened the problem eBook in eReader 2.7fp Mac desktop and the characters ARE all there, formatting is perfect.

So then I deleted eReader 3.0.0fp from my Palm, and loaded eReader 2.6.2 (Palm), the last version I had, and it also has the missing quotation/accents/mushed words issue. So this book is missing something to tell the Palm version about the missing characters.

Bree

Last edited by simplyparticular; 02-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have ereader2html.py so you can convert it to HTML? If all the characters are there, then you can convert it back to eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have ereader2html.py so you can convert it to HTML? If all the characters are there, then you can convert it back to eReader.
No, not yet. I've downloaded Python and the scripts so I can try to de-DRM some Mobi books I bought years ago. BUt I haven't gotten a good handle on what to do next.

Maybe I'll try the eReader script first.

Bree