Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
hyperact
hyperact began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 700
Updating existing book

I have a personal document I update frequently and upload to my Sony reader 700. Every time I update, I have to re-assign the book cover and tags. I am able to get Calibre to recognize the title and author by using the correct file name, but I can't figure out how to get it to recognize a cover image and tags. Is there a header or meta info I can add to my document that will tell Calibre to use a particular cover image and tags?

Thanks for this software, by the way. As a Mac user, it was a major factor in my decision to purchase the reader. I'm very pleased with Calibre.
hyperact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the edit metadata dialog and add a format instead of adding a new book each time you make changes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
hyperact

Thanks, that sounds promising. I've seen the "new format" option in the software but I don't know what it does or how it works. I tried looking in the online user manual but the metadata section is empty. Is it documented somewhere?

The "ebook conversion" section on the site is empty too.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Documentation is an ongoing effort Experiment, I promise it wont make your computer blow up
Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
hyperact

Ok. I tried selecting the lrf file that was created from my document. It goes into the format list as a duplicate of the primary lrf, with the same name. I don't see a way to tell them apart. Am I on the right track? Can I rename the duplciate format that appears? Can you give me a hint what a "format" is or where to find one? Or even which kind of file I should be choosing when the dialog appears?
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre has the concept of a logical book. Each logical books has metadata associated with it stored ina database. This includes title author, covers, tags etc. You can add any number of "formats" to each logical book. A format is a version of the book in some spevific form like an LRF file or an EPUB file, etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
hyperact

Sorry, but this is getting frustrating. I could use some direction. Here is what I did:

1. Set up the document with the cover and tags. Convert it. Change the converted file name on disk to "file.ebk". That allows it to show up as a format "ebk" in my format list instead of as a duplicate "lrf" format.

2. Delete the original book. Drop in a new copy (it's an HTML file.) Click "convert". Choose "ebk" format.

The result is a dialog window so full of errors that it overflows the height of the screen. Do you have a simple recipe I can follow?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Describe exactly what you want to do. As I understand it, you want to have a source file in HTML format. Convert it to LRF. Make some changes to the source file and then reconvert to LRF? And have it preserve cover and tags information.

This is how you do it:

Add the HTML file to the library

Set the metadata, including cover/tags/whatever

Convert

Make a new version of the HTML file

Click the edit metadata button.

Now click the plus button next to the list of formats and chose your new HTML file

Click OK

Select the book and click convert
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
hyperact

Aha! Thank you. That works, and is exactly what I wanted to do. And it does make the whole process much easier.

I had it backwards. When I think "format" I think of a template file, and thought I had to apply a saved template to a newly imported book. But in Calibre, it means adding revised content to an existing book. The terminology threw me.

I appreciate your patience, and I'm sorry I didn't have more of my own.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No problem, glad you got it sorted
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
hyperact

You know, if the primary purpose of the "add format" function is to update content, would it make sense to rename that button "Update Content" or something similar? Then you wouldn't have to answer stupid questions from people like me.

It works great once you know what it does.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually the primary purpose of the add format button is just that, to add formats. You use it to add a new format for a particular book. If it so happens that you have an existing version of the book in that format, it is updated
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
where is the add format button ??? please excuse me if it's somewhere very obvious but i can't seem to find it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its the button with the green plus icon in the edit metadata dialog
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its the button with the green plus icon in the edit metadata dialog
okay, right ! thanks. (still have a lot to learn. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote