Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You might try near the mighty river.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'm a bachelor about to move to Ireland on my own... does Amazon sell these things over there? They could be quite an enabler for me, especially as I love rice.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #33
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
FREE today (digital list price $9.99) - 4.5 out of 5 stars, 91 reviews:

Pressure Cooker Cookbook: 100 Quick, Easy, and Healthy Pressure Cooker Recipes for Nourishing and Delicious Meals
by Vanessa Olsen

US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YOKZF2

UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019YOKZF2

(Also free in other countries)
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #34
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I'm a bachelor about to move to Ireland on my own... does Amazon sell these things over there? They could be quite an enabler for me, especially as I love rice.
My daughter was never a fan of brown rice until she tasted it made in the Instant Pot. Now she says she likes it. Jasmine rice is also nice, not mushy at all.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We had our first mis-step last night. My wife tried one-pot spaghetti and meatballs, but best we can figure, we didn't add enough water to the sauce, so the timer ran, but it never came up to pressure, and some of the sauce scorched on the bottom.
Happily we could salvage the meal (suffering only slightly oddly textured pasta) and the pot cleaned up easily enough.
A pot roast is on the menu for tonight.
With the several free PC cookbooks this week, I see a lot of PC meals in our near future.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #36
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I've heard this Sous Vide term before but don't really understand what it is. What foods do you cook using this method?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Just about anything actually, though apparently the temperature of the Keep Warm function is too high for fish and eggs. I have the Smart model that accepts commands via Bluetooth, so I can set it to heat to a lower temperature and hold it for as long as I want. Sous Vide doesn't brown, though. You have to do that either before or after.

http://instantpot.com/sous-vide-duck-breast/
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #37
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My Instant pot finally arrived today. I only just read the booklet that came with it. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I don't have space currently on my counter due to a cabinet mishap, which will hopefully be fixed by maintenance tomorrow. As in, my cabinets are falling down.
Joys of living in old apartments.

So its safe for now in the box. I was pleasantly surprised that is has a detachable cord. But I need to read some more as right now, all the stuff in the booklet is a tad bit overwhelming and confusing. I hope that will go away when I actually get to use it.

I'll probably make something like a roast of stew in it first. I make many of those in the slow cooker so I feel comfortable most with that.

I am a bit baffled at some of the times listed in the booklet. A whole chicken in 20-25 minutes? A cornish hen in 10-15? It doesn't say though if one has to let naturally come down with pressure, or fast. That is what the confusing part for me is at this point. When to use what release. I do know I won't be touching that release valve when making anything with beans. I learned that the hard way years back when I had another brand of electric PC and foam just comes right out the valve.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #38
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For most things, letting it sit for 10 minutes before releasing pressure is fine. The main exceptions are veggies and poached eggs - quick release is necessary to prevent overcooking. Beans, rice and oatmeal are all "natural" (or 10 min) release.

The whole chicken is delicious. And you can make broth from the carcass.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #39
treadlightly
Wizard

My recommendation for the best cookbook after sampling a few is Hip Pressure Cooking by Laura Pazzaglia which is now available from Overdrive. It is not specific to the Instant Pot but includes electric pressure cooking instructions.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #40
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
My recommendation for the best cookbook after sampling a few is Hip Pressure Cooking by Laura Pazzaglia which is now available from Overdrive. It is not specific to the Instant Pot but includes electric pressure cooking instructions.
Laura has a lot of recipes and tips on her website, too: Hip Pressure Cooking - Recipes.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #41
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thanks -- I think I should skim the recipes, to see if I would actually *use* this thing.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #42
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Thanks -- I think I should skim the recipes, to see if I would actually *use* this thing.
You might also check out the free sample of the cookbook above, right on that overdrive link, even you don't have access to the book. The first chapter gives a great intro to how and why to use a pressure cooker, though I'm not sure she gives electrics like the IP enough credit.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #43
ApK

Important safety tip for new IP users:
MAKE SURE THE COOKING POT IS IN THE PRESSURE COOKER BEFORE POURING WATER INTO THE PRESSURE COOKER!

The support guy said that happens surprisingly often.

Thank goodness for GFCI outlets. Between that, and the fact that the bottom of the IP comes off for easy drying, we dodged a bullet.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #44
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Important safety tip for new IP users:
MAKE SURE THE COOKING POT IS IN THE PRESSURE COOKER BEFORE POURING WATER INTO THE PRESSURE COOKER!

The support guy said that happens surprisingly often.

Thank goodness for GFCI outlets. Between that, and the fact that the bottom of the IP comes off for easy drying, we dodged a bullet.

Oh no! I have heard of that happening to others and I'm afraid of doing it myself! I'm glad all seems to be functional with your pot.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #45
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I finally used it a couple of days ago. It didn't go smooth, as I ranted on another forum. Its just that I find the instructions confusing and when you already intimidated, it doesn't help. I wasn't sure what the float pin looks like when under pressure as it didn't change from when I put the lid on. I didn't know it was working, until after the cooking time and when I released the steam, then the pin dropped a bit. But it was as high as it was under pressure when I put it on. So that was confusing. I figured it would stick out higher. Be nice to have some pics of that in the manual. The timing stuff is also confusing.

I used a recipe that used the meat/stew button, which says 35 minutes. But in the chart in the booklet it says for stew 20 minutes. That is a huge difference and it doesn't say what release on that chart, natural, instant, no clue.

Anywho, I made Thai beef curry and it came out really good. I used the recipe from this site.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/13958635...hai-beef-curry

It uses the preset button and it was very very tender. I like it that way, but others might want more chewiness. I don't like my beef chewy though. I just cut up a chuck roast on sale into 1.5 inches large chunks.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote