Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Horrible conversions azw3 to epub

I just converted a couple of Amazon books with Calibre, and was really dismayed when I looked at the epub output. In one book (GWTW), the entire first chapter was missing, the end of the next chapter was truncated--in fact, every subsequent chapter I spot-checked was truncated. In the second book (Thorn Birds), again, chapters were truncated. In both books, I also see words run together and other errors.

Here's an example. The azw3 file read:

Quote:
WHEN THE TWINS LEFT SCARLETT standing on the porch of Tara and the last sound of flying hooves had died away, she went back to her chair like a sleepwalker.
The epub conversion read:

Quote:
WHEN THE TWINS LEFT SCARLETT standing on the porch of Tara and the last sound of f" said whether lo disappearedlying hooves had died away, she went back to her chair like a sleepwalker.
I initially had used an older version of Calibre, but when I saw the messy conversions, I redid them with the most recent version--and got the same results. I use the default settings.

I've never been aware of significant problems in converting before, but the bulk of my conversions are Amazon freebies, and I usually only check the books I pay for, like these two today that were on sale.

I was able to return both books to Amazon, but my faith in Calibre is badly shaken.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis

I've only converted ePUB to AZW3, never the other way around. Out of curiosity, why did you convert AZW3 to ePUB? Did you want to sync the ebook to a Kobo ereader or something?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an epub reader. These books were on sale today at Amazon, but full price at BN and Kobo.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis

I also purchased Gone with the Wind. So, I tried converting it to ePUB to see if I also get these errors and have checked the chapters including the paragraph you've posted from chapter 2. There were no chapters missing or truncated.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I also purchased Gone with the Wind. So, I tried converting it to ePUB to see if I also get these errors and have checked the chapters including the paragraph you've posted from chapter 2. There were no chapters missing or truncated.
What settings did you use?

My conversion starts with the preface, which is truncated, then goes to Chapter 2 and the sentence I quoted. Every chapter seems to be truncated and I spotted several instances of jumbled lines. If I didn't know this was an azw3 to epub conversion, I'd say it was a bad OCR.
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Did you check whether you had any strange settings on the Convert - Search&Replace page?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My conversion starts with the preface, which is truncated, then goes to Chapter 2 and the sentence I quoted. Every chapter seems to be truncated and I spotted several instances of jumbled lines.
It sounds like your azw3 file in the calibre library is missing the data. Are you comparing the ePub to your azw3 within the calibre library or are you comparing it to a azw3 file that has not been added to calibre?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Did you check whether you had any strange settings on the Convert - Search&Replace page?
No, I never messed with any settings, I always use the default, and I just double-checked.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You trying to tell us that your cats never walk on your keyboard
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You trying to tell us that your cats never walk on your keyboard
Never. They are too busy walking all over me.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No, I never messed with any settings, I always use the default, and I just double-checked.
Did you double-check what I asked about in post 7? The most likely reason the output seems screwy is because the input is screwy. Could your plugins from Alf be causing the problem on adding the book?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Those tools don't actually impact the input ( just decrypt ) so unless you are using a really old out of date version, or the book is Topaz and not azw3, I really doubt they are the issue.

Try unpacking your azw3 using KindleUnpack ( there is a standalone version - see the Mobi forum here and a calibre plugin version - you can load it as an official plugin ) and check the box to save the raw format to see exactly what is inside your azw3 file. It will also generate an epub for you from the azw3 contents that can be unzipped and checked as well.

I have found some poorly made official azw3 files where the fragment table start locations are wrong because the input was not in utf-8 and many smart-quotes were used all throughout the text messing up the byte counts.

You could also try calibre in debug mode to see if it generates any warnings about incorrect offsets when trying to convert your azw3.

Hope something here helps.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Did you double-check what I asked about in post 7? The most likely reason the output seems screwy is because the input is screwy. Could your plugins from Alf be causing the problem on adding the book?
Sorry, somehow I missed seeing your earlier post.

I checked the output against the original files in Kindle for PC. I returned the two books to Amazon, so now I no longer have the azw3 files.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Those tools don't actually impact the input ( just decrypt ) so unless you are using a really old out of date version, or the book is Topaz and not azw3, I really doubt they are the issue.

Try unpacking your azw3 using KindleUnpack ( there is a standalone version - see the Mobi forum here and a calibre plugin version - you can load it as an official plugin ) and check the box to save the raw format to see exactly what is inside your azw3 file. It will also generate an epub for you from the azw3 contents that can be unzipped and checked as well.

I have found some poorly made official azw3 files where the fragment table start locations are wrong because the input was not in utf-8 and many smart-quotes were used all throughout the text messing up the byte counts.

You could also try calibre in debug mode to see if it generates any warnings about incorrect offsets when trying to convert your azw3.

Hope something here helps.

KevinH
Thanks. I've given up on these particular two files--as I mentioned, I returned the books. But I will keep the info for future reference.

The last version of the tools I downloaded was 5.1, but I have no idea if the plug-in was from an earlier version--it could well have been. I use Calibre only to convert Kindle books, and not very often. I did the first conversion attempt with Calibre 8.65, I think it was, and then downloaded and used the current version, and got the same screwy results both times.

I had a few Amazon mobi files that I converted at the same time, and those seem to look all right.

I think I'll just let it go and see what happens the next time I need to convert an azw3 file. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't convert AZW3 to ePub. That's not the best way to go from AZW3 to ePub. The way to do it is...

Install the KindleUnpack plugin. That will allow you to shift the files from the AZW3 to ePub. Then use epubcheck to check the ePub and fix any errors that are found. Then you have an ePub you can use as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote