Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I could see problems if people were using it to read while driving!
So do the police:

http://news.sky.com/story/1161741/go...et-from-police
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why isn't it suited for it, and how exactly is a rubber-banded Kindle "wearable computing" any more than the one held in my hand and stored in my pocket? Perhaps it too is wearable computing if I wrap the strap around the back of my hand.

The watches I agree, they're too small. But floating the text in your field of vision is perfectly reasonable, it's the concept behind a HUD.
The Google Glass is sorta general purpose, in it's own way. It at least is not purpose built for reading specifically. So it does a couple things OK, but nothing super great (except for being it's own thing). Reading on it is fine, but you have to look to the upper corner and it cannot display much text at a single moment. It would be kinda like reading e-books on an really early Palm that could only be viewed from an up and to the right angle. Doable, I suppose, but torture for most people.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
The Google Glass is sorta general purpose, in it's own way. It at least is not purpose built for reading specifically. So it does a couple things OK, but nothing super great (except for being it's own thing). Reading on it is fine, but you have to look to the upper corner and it cannot display much text at a single moment. It would be kinda like reading e-books on an really early Palm that could only be viewed from an up and to the right angle. Doable, I suppose, but torture for most people.
It has been programmed to display there. In the future, when the tech has matured, Google Glass (and others) will learn to distinguish when and where it is safe to display whatever, and they will offer a much more immersive everything experience.

I don't think anyone believes Google Glass is a viable reading platform IN IT'S CURRENT FORM. As a potential for the future, when the technology behind it has matured, that may very well change.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't think anyone believes Google Glass is a viable reading platform IN IT'S CURRENT FORM. As a potential for the future, when the technology behind it has matured, that may very well change.
That is true, and can be said for many of our current technologies! Not just Glass.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I could see problems if people were using it to read while driving!
This made me laugh because I remember my dad used to mark student's papers while driving!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
The whole Google glass stuff reminds me of glasses used in niven/barnes dreampark novels for RPG gaming
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote