Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
JCMS
JCMS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
GLO, touch screen problem after leaving it sleeping.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2-months old kobo glo. It had been in sleeping mode for 2 weeks and when I took it yesterday, the touch screen was messing up. Whereever I touched it it acted as a turn-to-last-page. Sometimes the touch would be computed multi times (I.E It would go 5 page backward rather than 1 page forward).

I tried resetting it and it didn't do anything. I upgraded to 2.2.1 and some problem. Then I factory-resetted it, and the problem was "gone". Well, it is gone but certain part of the screen just do not respond anymore (or very badly). Those spots are (among others), the "U" and "L" on the keyboard, the bottom left corner and some spots at the top.

Has anyone had those problems? I'm getting it back to the store tomorrow.
JCMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Did you try blowing any accumulated dust off the display under the slight lip around the inside edges? Just a thought, since you said it was in sleep mode for two weeks, so probably just sitting around. It's Winter here and if you have hot air heat any dust present gets kicked around...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I've left my Glo sleeping for an extended period of time, but probably never more than about a week. Either way, I've never had that kinda thing happen. I do leave mine in a case, so maybe TechniSol does have a point, although I'd be surprised if the device couldn't handle 2 weeks' worth of accumulated dust.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
JCMS

Just took it back in my hands...and everything is working fine. The part of the s creen that didn't respond for the last 4 days are now working correctly and everything is responsive....what the hell lol.

I'm drunk right now and it's easier to type on it that it was this morning...
Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was a longshot, but I've seen a lot of dust accumulated under the edge of my Kobo's screen compared to my Nooks' as the Kobo has a larger inner lip, or at least mine does.

I can see how a bit of cookie crumb or the like could easily screw up the Kobo's IR grid.
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
JCMS

The screen is using IR? I'd have thought it was capacitive...
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMS View Post
The screen is using IR? I'd have thought it was capacitive...
Nope, the Kobo e-ink touch devices have always used IR.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
JCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Nope, the Kobo e-ink touch devices have always used IR.
That does explain the screen's often unresponsiveness then! I guess it's the same as with the Kindle?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMS View Post
That does explain the screen's often unresponsiveness then! I guess it's the same as with the Kindle?
Kindle has gone to capacitive with the Paperwhite. I *think* all of their touch prior were IR (I know at least their more recent were and if memory serves they only recently started with touch versions).
Personally I'm not a huge fan of touch, but the IR on the Kobo's has worked really well for me and I wouldn't want to go back to non-touch now.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
TechniSol

The main case that has been made for IR with e-ink has been that there is no need for another semi-transparent layer over the display so that the capacitive layers can be implemented which might yield a clearer display with less glare. Probably cheaper too, since you really don't need exquisite precision for a reader, and they probably only hear grumbling mostly from people trying to select text set too small for the IR grid. I suspect the grid not only detects position by a single emitter-detector pair being interrupted, but the driver or reader software is smart enough to realize that if multiple adjacent pairs are interrupted in one axis it must interpolate to judge the best position.

Pretty cool, if you give the screen an occasional wipe and a few puffs to clear cookie crumbs, dust, etc., it works great -despite a lip that overhangs wider than necessary around the display surface.