Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
StPaddy
StPaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox; Nook
Tablet Upgrade Error - My experience

I am frustrated that I am reading more technical material than I am books. This is not a Kobo criticism, rather a comment on e-readers in general. Now that is off my chest...

I finally got the SOD on my Vox (I have been successfully getting around it by powering off my Vox since Christmas). With the SOD I did a factory reset (on/off + vol up). When the Vox tried to redo the setup I hit the 40% load of the upgrade problem with the "Tablet Upgrade Error" message. I tried and re-tried until I gave up and returned my Vox (on warranty).

I then tried to setup the new Vox out of the box...got the Tablet Upgrade Error again!

Long story short...I called Kobo support. After trying a couple of things the support person said to turn off all devices connected to my home wireless network and retry, and voila, the setup continued with no Tablet Error problem!

I checked the software version and it appears I am still on the Nov 2011 version. It looks like I didn't get the upgrade, but at least I can now use my Vox.

Don't know if this technique will help anyone out there but I thought I would share it.

BTW, I have found this forum extremely helpful, so thanks to all for your posts (but it shouldn't be this hard!).
StPaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
One of my devices is my DNS/email/web server from which I run my business so I'm not turning it off. The other devices Internet load is basically negligible.

The advice of the Kobo staff basically means the Vox is extremely sensitive to minor network slowdowns. Or whatever. So it's quite fragile. This does puzzle me.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I sense it is a red herring... I really do.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Sometimes a complete shutdown of a router will allow it to choose a different channel if it's current has become crowded. I had trouble with a couple of devices when my neighbours installed wifi while I was away for the weekend (router on, everything else off or with me ). Came back and had trouble with several devices (two tablets and an iPod) disconnecting. I checked the available networks in the wifi settings and noticed a new, quite powerful signal. Powered down everthing including the router, brought them back up (waiting at least 5min after powering the router) and all is back to normal.

Many tablets just don't have the power to get through a noisy channel just like a laptop does.

Note: the two affected tablets were not Kobos. My kids have the Kobos, and they are locked out of the wifi.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
This is BS...all of us having problems downloading the update have never had issues with WiFi or previous updates before. I am not going anywhere near that update until Kobo has a stable download to provide.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
This is BS...all of us having problems downloading the update have never had issues with WiFi or previous updates before. I am not going anywhere near that update until Kobo has a stable download to provide.
The latest update worked for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Sometimes a complete shutdown of a router will allow it to choose a different channel if it's current has become crowded. I had trouble with a couple of devices when my neighbours installed wifi while I was away for the weekend (router on, everything else off or with me ). Came back and had trouble with several devices (two tablets and an iPod) disconnecting. I checked the available networks in the wifi settings and noticed a new, quite powerful signal. Powered down everthing including the router, brought them back up (waiting at least 5min after powering the router) and all is back to normal.

Many tablets just don't have the power to get through a noisy channel just like a laptop does.
I wonder if the more powerful router was my new one.

I think routers can choose channels on the fly. Maybe. I haven't investigated that. I live in a house and the nearest neighbour is a senior with no PC. So the other nearest houses are across back alley, 2nd house over or across the street. And the signal strength of those is quite down compared to mine. Mine is -60 db while the two currently visible are both -87 so a long ways off.