Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Netflix working yet?

One of my main reasons to buy the Vox was the promise that netflix would work on it. The version I have does not work, it prompts me to ugrade, and won't connect. Has anyone got it to work?
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
enoeske
enoeske began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
One of my main reasons to buy the Vox was the promise that netflix would work on it. The version I have does not work, it prompts me to ugrade, and won't connect. Has anyone got it to work?
I had that same problem. Couldn't connect. I uninstalled that version and downloaded the latest version. Fresh install of that lets me connect and see the choices of shows, instant queue and such. But clicking play results in the movie GUI but no movie. It never starts the show.
enoeske is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
We have been told that Netflix has fixed the problem, and preparing to release in the near future. I don't have any more detail than that, though.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
cece
cece began at the beginning.

When I decided to purchase 2 Kobo Vox I called the customer service to ask about a few features I wanted...(netflix was one of those) I was told the vox would play them just fine. I have yet to get netflix running. I have called netflix and the person I talked to told me it was not supported because it is not an android 3.0 or higher. I was very disappointed but decided to keep the 2 I had purchased anyway in hope that some time in the near future they would work it all out. Glad to see that they are working on it. Thank you for the update KoBoJW.
cece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
We have been told that Netflix has fixed the problem, and preparing to release in the near future. I don't have any more detail than that, though.
OH - that's positive news! Thanks for the update!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Here's hoping Youtube will work too.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I doubt that the update/fix Netflix is making to its app will fix YouTube. But one can hope for anything .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
... told me it was not supported because it is not an android 3.0 or higher.
Netflix runs on 2.2 or better. They may have a Tablet version that runs only on 3.x and later, but to flat out say it requires 3.0 or higher is wrong. I have Netflix running on my nook color (Cyanogen7 on 2.3.7) and my phone (stock 2.3.6).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
cece
cece began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Netflix runs on 2.2 or better. They may have a Tablet version that runs only on 3.x and later, but to flat out say it requires 3.0 or higher is wrong. I have Netflix running on my nook color (Cyanogen7 on 2.3.7) and my phone (stock 2.3.6).
I thought so as well. When my husband logged on to netflix he saw a screen that listed all the devices it supports. It was as low as 2.1. (but those were phones) So I can only guess that alot of these people we talk to are just reading screens and really have no idea. So we just decided to wait and see.
cece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I thought so as well. When my husband logged on to netflix he saw a screen that listed all the devices it supports. It was as low as 2.1. (but those were phones) So I can only guess that alot of these people we talk to are just reading screens and really have no idea. So we just decided to wait and see.
The Kobo call center outsourcing is just your typical unknowledgeable frustration buffer tasked foreigner.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
The Kobo call center outsourcing is just your typical unknowledgeable frustration buffer tasked foreigner.
Please reread cece's post..

Quote:
I have called netflix and the person I talked to told me it was not supported because it is not an android 3.0 or higher.
Please note; cece was calling the NETFLIX call center; NOT the Kobo one.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Really? Really? What a nasty thing to say. And this from someone who reads so poorly that the fact that this was not the Kobo call centre didn't come into the picture.

I just had an amazingly good experience with Kobo Customer care about a half hour ago. The person had a thick accent, so i had to ask him to slow down a bit, but he was helpful, polite, and when he had to check with a supervisor for one of the questions I asked, he did it. I got a follow-up email less than 15 minutes later with an accurate summary of the call and an incident number.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Really? Really? What a nasty thing to say. And this from someone who reads so poorly that the fact that this was not the Kobo call centre didn't come into the picture.

I just had an amazingly good experience with Kobo Customer care about a half hour ago. The person had a thick accent, so i had to ask him to slow down a bit, but he was helpful, polite, and when he had to check with a supervisor for one of the questions I asked, he did it. I got a follow-up email less than 15 minutes later with an accurate summary of the call and an incident number.
Yah...a bit harsh but...we've all heard horror stories about the outsourced support...perhaps you've been lucky or because you're more knowlegable than the average user, you have more patience to deal with incompetence or spotty English. I can't comment either way from personal experience, but I've read a ton of reviews that have scared me from calling that support line!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Pokee, the Tier one support changed very recently--I don't have the exact date, but I would guess that it has been well short of two months. That means that initially everyone was brand new. Yes, people have accents that are sometimes difficult to understand. Heck that is also true when I shop at The Bay or my local 7-11. I don't know what part of Vancouver you may live in, but even in Red Deer Alberta we have a whole lot of people who speak with heavily accented English.

The fact that people speak with an accent or are located in St. Lucia is not a reason to be afraid to use support or to say derogatory things about Kobo.

And honestly, I don't get why anyone would be afraid to try the support line. It's not like those awful people are going to hunt you down and steal your jewels. the worst that happens is you will have a less than satisfactory answer to your question.

Last edited by taming; 12-13-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Pokee, the Tier one support changed very recently--I don't have the exact date, but I would guess that it has been well short of two months. That means that initially everyone was brand new. Yes, people have accents that are sometimes difficult to understand. Heck that is also true when I shop at The Bay or my local 7-11. I don't know what part of Vancouver you may live in, but even in Red Deer Alberta we have a whole lot of people who speak with heavily accented English.

The fact that people speak with an accent or are located in St. Lucia is not a reason to be afraid to use support or to say derogatory things about Kobo.

And honestly, I don't get why anyone would be afraid to try the support line. It's not like those awful people are going to hunt you down and steal your jewels. the worst that happens is you will have a less than satisfactory answer to your question.
Saying I am 'afraid' is a nice way of saying I get really agitated by support staff/customer service help that cannot speak English. I am not put off by an accent, but when someone cannot understand what I am asking them due to a language barrier, I become really inpatient...and that makes me less 'nice'...so I try to avoid that. I also cannot stand waiting on the phone for long periods of time. I have kids and its more convenient for me to resolve issues online. I choose to avoid those situations when I can. I've managed quite nicely over the past year as a Kobo user getting my support through other resources and have been quite content so far, despite a few major hiccups with my devices. I am sure they will improve, but it will take more time, as staff have openly admitted on this forum...