Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
jans52
jans52 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
problem seeing/sending to device

I suspect this problem is in my kindle not calibre but I will try here. When connecting my just purchased Kindle to my mac the "plug" screen on Kindle and disc on desktop appears. I eject to read which works but if the kindle is moved the disc reappears on the desktop and I must eject again.

Upon launching calibre recognition of the device is very erratic, sometimes nothing, sometimes OK. At times I can send to device OK, at times I get error message:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Volumes/Kindle 2/'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 405, in _upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 252, in upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 1038, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 166, in free_space
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Volumes/Kindle 2/'

Loose connection in the Kindle? Bad USB cord?

I tried a drag and drop from calibre into the disc on desktop but that did not seem to work? Maybe it is not supposed to function this way?

TIA

Jans

Update, I am able to drag and drop, once I do it correctly!

Last edited by jans52; 09-15-2011 at 09:58 AM.
jans52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jans52 View Post
I suspect this problem is in my kindle not calibre but I will try here. When connecting my just purchased Kindle to my mac the "plug" screen on Kindle and disc on desktop appears. I eject to read which works but if the kindle is moved the disc reappears on the desktop and I must eject again.

Upon launching calibre recognition of the device is very erratic, sometimes nothing, sometimes OK.
I don't have a Mac or a Kindle but my guess is if you want it to work consistently with calibre, stop ejecting it. At the very least reconnect it while you are using calibre then eject it when you're done using calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
jans52
jans52 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
thanks dwanthny, The kindle instructs to eject if one wishes to read or shop while charging. I have tried it both ways ejected and not ejected. No clear pattern. It seems although exporting from calibre to kindle gives this error message, I can send from kindle into calibre just fine.

I thought I had some kind of malfunction in USB cable or port on the kindle as the eject screen comes and goes if the device is moved. Others have told me this is common in usb devices being charged through the computer?

If the connection is faulty I would think I could not send from kindle to calibre either?

I can drag and drop so I can work around this but it is a puzzle.

Jan
jans52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Simply moving the device should not make the device react in any way. If it does then you either have a faulty cable or a faulty USB port (could be PC end or Kindle end) as this tends to indicate an intermittent connection..
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote