Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #106
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's gzip content encoding, @kiwidude you have to tell the browser to handle gzip

browser.set_handle_gzip(True)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #107
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Kovid - that would explain what it looks like. So why would he be getting gzip content encoding that no-one else does?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #108
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dunno, he's cursed

Probably, he's behind some kind of a proxy that appends accept-encoding: gzip to http requests
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #109
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx Kovid, cue twilight zone music...

@SoulStyle - please give the version attached to this post a whirl and see if that fixes your issues.

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-26-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Removed attachment as officially released
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #110
SoulStyle
Enthusiast
SoulStyle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Many thanks for bringing a cursed soul salvation, it works
SoulStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #111
kiwidude

v1.2.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add support for handling gzip encoding being turned on

Thanks to Kovid for diagnosing the problem/solution that it appears one person out there had at least
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #112
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
It would be nice to have an in-line forum-threat link like donate to quickly go to the threat. And in that case you could probably also add a link to the author page.

I was wandering if it is possible to create a dependency check. In this case, I could write a plugin that makes use of functions by another plugin. But I have to be sure it is installed. Also, if a plugin is removed by your plugin, It should generate a warning that plugin x depends on y and is removed (or disabled) as well.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #113
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post
It would be nice to have an in-line forum-threat link like donate to quickly go to the threat. And in that case you could probably also add a link to the author page.
I wouldn't want to add any more "direct click" link cells to the grid, or else there will be nowhere a user could safely click. I presume you know you can click on the forum link just below the grid right?

I've been thinking I may at some point add a right-click menu, in which case the forum link could be on that.

Why would you want to direct a user to the author's page? I can't think of anything particularly useful/interesting on it. If you are going to send them a PM you can do that from the forum link page.
Quote:
I was wandering if it is possible to create a dependency check. In this case, I could write a plugin that makes use of functions by another plugin. But I have to be sure it is installed. Also, if a plugin is removed by your plugin, It should generate a warning that plugin x depends on y and is removed (or disabled) as well.
That would open up a whole can of worms I'm not sure I really want to get into at this point. That whole issue you mentioned of removing plugins for instance. What if they remove the dependency using the command line? Or via the Preferences -> Plugins dialog? Depending on a plugin that is part of Calibre and permanently enabled is one thing, depending on a user plugin is another.

Obviously over time the number of user plugins is growing and will hopefully continue to, so presumably the temptation/likelihood of cross plugin dependencies will increase. I will quite happily keep my head in the sand in the meantime though
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #114
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

And it would be nice to have a custom-install button. While I often test plugins myself, I would really like to skip the config route and just add custom plugins with the button on my toolbar...
Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #115
kiwidude

Quote:
And it would be nice to have a custom-install button. While I often test plugins myself, I would really like to skip the config route and just add custom plugins with the button on my toolbar...
I'm not sure what you mean but plugins can only have one toolbar button so whatever you meant it isn't possible

Besides if you are writing your own plugins that you are adding, use the command line of calibre-customize, that is certainly what a number of us plugin developers do, rolling it up in a batch script. See the development forum for a discussion on this.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #116
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I wouldn't want to add any more "direct click" link cells to the grid, or else there will be nowhere a user could safely click. I presume you know you can click on the forum link just below the grid right?
That is why I thought about it. I'm often using this link and a even quicker-access would be great. But your 'safe to click space' would decrease indeed and that would be a big disadvantage. Right-click menu sounds great.

I've been thinking I may at some point add a right-click menu, in which case the forum link could be on that.[/QUOTE]
Quote:

Why would you want to direct a user to the author's page? I can't think of anything particularly useful/interesting on it. If you are going to send them a PM you can do that from the forum link page.
I had something in mind as a list of plugins by this user, or comments on this user. But for that, you should better link to a website of the user instead of the profile. Rethinking it makes it seem indeed a little useless.
Quote:

That would open up a whole can of worms I'm not sure I really want to get into at this point. That whole issue you mentioned of removing plugins for instance. What if they remove the dependency using the command line? Or via the Preferences -> Plugins dialog? Depending on a plugin that is part of Calibre and permanently enabled is one thing, depending on a user plugin is another.

Obviously over time the number of user plugins is growing and will hopefully continue to, so presumably the temptation/likelihood of cross plugin dependencies will increase. I will quite happily keep my head in the sand in the meantime though
Get deep enough and maybe you will find an old box of Londinium-coins and you will be rich
Valid remarks and in the future there should be a better way of dealing with this. I'm now thinking of creating a calibrex-library. Like Javax, a combination of often used methods / classes so it can be reused by other plugins (also causing calibre to start faster I think)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #117
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean but plugins can only have one toolbar button so whatever you meant it isn't possible

Besides if you are writing your own plugins that you are adding, use the command line of calibre-customize, that is certainly what a number of us plugin developers do, rolling it up in a batch script. See the development forum for a discussion on this.
Well, what I mean is that I would like to have a button for adding custom plugins inside your plugin like:
Customize | Enable/Disable | Remove | Add custom | Install | version | close

For my own scripts I can use the batch, but for example if you post a new modify-epub in the dev, I have to create a batch, or install it by configuration -> plugins -> add custom plugin.
Running your plugin from toolbar would speed this up a lot.
If this should only be shown to advanced users, you could maybe make a configuration option like the one in quality (set shown options)
This would also give the option to add / remove columns from the plugin view.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #118
kiwidude

Quote:
Well, what I mean is that I would like to have a button for adding custom plugins inside your plugin like:
Customize | Enable/Disable | Remove | Add custom | Install | version | close

For my own scripts I can use the batch, but for example if you post a new modify-epub in the dev, I have to create a batch, or install it by configuration -> plugins -> add custom plugin.
Running your plugin from toolbar would speed this up a lot.
If this should only be shown to advanced users, you could maybe make a configuration option like the one in quality (set shown options)
This would also give the option to add / remove columns from the plugin view.
So if I understand you correctly you would be wanting an "Add" button the same as you have on the Preferences->Plugins dialog?

I am a little wary of adding yet another button to the bottom of the screen as it has too many already imho. I think once I have a right-click menu, a few of those will disappear onto that. "Maybe Version History" being the most likely candidate, so the right side just becomes a more conventional "Do something" (Install) and "Close" buttons.

Certainly with the possible exception of "Customize plugin" the left side buttons I think should go onto the menu too. "Remove plugin" would too rarely be used day to day. Likewise "Enable/disable plugin" doesn't apply to user interface plugins which most of these are, and the rest are metadata source plugins which are most easily/frequently turned on/off via Kovid's metadata configuration screen. I think Customize plugin is sufficiently useful to keep there (particularly if you remember to ctrl+click on the Plugin Updater toolbar icon, which takes you to the All plugins view).

So then that would leave the question of where to put the "Add" button. My concern would be confusing the user by having both an "Add" and "Install" buttons on the one screen. So if I was going to support it, it would have to firstly have to be really clearly named (like "Add custom plugin..."). And probably on the right-click menu as again it would be very infrequently used.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #119
drMerry
Addict

I understand these problems.
I see I did not mention it, but I was thinking of an option like in quality-check to give users a way to customize the plugin (show/hide option, show option on bar, in right-click, both, none)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #120
kiwidude

Quote:
I understand these problems.
I see I did not mention it, but I was thinking of an option like in quality-check to give users a way to customize the plugin (show/hide option, show option on bar, in right-click, both, none)
Actually there is a different reason why adding such a feature isn't going to happen for this plugin.

The list of plugins that you are presented with in the view comes from reading the plugin index on the forums. So any custom plugins are never going to appear on this list. Hence while an "Add custom plugin..." function is possible, the plugin itself once installed would not appear in the list of plugins, nor would it appear the next time you come into that dialog to uninstall it etc.

You already have several "other" ways of adding plugins. And as a developer by far the best is using the calibre-customize from a batch script. So I don't see this as a major limitation, it is only one click difference to do it via the Preferences->Plugins route anyways.