Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #46
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Revelation Space was the worst of Reynolds books the rest get much better.

The Lost Fleet is good if you quickly read over Jack Blacks introspection

No mention of Neal Ashers Polity series?

Michael Marshall Smith has done some good sci-fi (warning: a tad extreme at times)

David Brin's Uplift series.

A Quantum thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

Robert Reed has done some good stuff too.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #47
fancybee
fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can really recommend the Dunes Chronicles by Frank Herbert
fancybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #48
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
I think its time I read Dune...
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #49
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I didnt see anyone recommend Walter Jon William's Dread Empires fall its one of my favourite series. And one of the only series where I curse the publisher for not ordering a new book in the series instead of ordering new books and ruining the series like they normally do.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #50
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Walter Jon Williams has also written a somewhat unconventional trio of books around a modern-day character named Dagmar Shaw who creates Alternate Reality Games as advertisements for blockbuster movies and games (Think of the ilovebees promo for Halo). But as it turns out, her skill set, combined with the intelligence and skills of her players, makes her kind of a mastermind. She attempts to user her powers for good while dealing with difficult real world situations.

The first book, THIS IS NOT A GAME, has some structural problems. It is written in three acts, and the first act is not terribly well integrated with the others, so that the book just seems to end in the middle and start over. Nonetheless, I would still recommend it just because I can't think of anything like it.

The second book, DEEP STATE, has Dagmar hired by spies to set up a "game" that backs a revolution against a totalitarian regime.

In the third book, THE FOURTH WALL, Dagmar goes Hollywood and runs a super-ARG in the manner of a Hollywood blockbuster. Interestingly, the narrator of this book isn't Dagmar herself, but rather the star of her game, giving you a very different perspective on Dagmar Shaw.

They're all interesting books, and I honestly can't think of anything like them. I say check them out.

Also, if you ever wanted to read his early Age of Sail historical adventure novels, they are now available as e-books. Good stuff.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #51
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
I'm going to bump this as I really need new recommendations.

When I look at the books I love; Anathem, A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky, The Forever War, the thing they have in common apart from strong central concepts is a focus on characters and their interactions. Any suggestions along those lines?
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #52
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
My favorite books are Anathem, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky, The Forever War and Hyperion.

Basically I love an intelligent Space Opera, the exploration of a strange yet believable world and the struggle of a soldier caught in the stupidity of war.

Any ideas?
For an older series, have you considered Tarot by Piers Anthony? (space opera, maybe more fantasy than science fiction but a really interesting version of your basic last-priority-to-colonize type world where suckers get sent until someone figures out a way to survive)

A favorite of mine by Robert A. Heinlein is: Friday (combat courier, involves
space travel in a believable "federation space" type universe)

You started with Reynolds... if you haven't yet read everything of his, I say go for it. My personal favorite of his was Cryptonomicon (not a space opera)
my favorite space opera of his was Chasm City (though it continues in Revelation Space and Redemption Ark)
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #53
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm going to bump this as I really need new recommendations.

When I look at the books I love; Anathem, A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky, The Forever War, the thing they have in common apart from strong central concepts is a focus on characters and their interactions. Any suggestions along those lines?
ok, after seeing this I have to go back to heinlein and recommend a few more.

Friday
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Podkayne of Mars
Rocket Ship Galileo
The Puppet Masters * (a favorite. i dont know for sure but believe that various adaptations of this concept became the movies of that name. If based on heinlein, they are very loose because heinlein does not do horror.)
The Rolling Stones (nothing to do with music)
Farmer in the Sky
Starman Jones
Citizen of the Galaxy
The Number of the Beast
JOB: A Comedy of Justice
Nothing Ever Happens on the Moon
I Will Fear No Evil

any of the Lazarus Long series, although plan for lots of strange genetics connections and sexual relationships among folks that are essentially all multiple generations and both genders clones of the same dude. The stories and explorations of this theme are quite interesting and can keep you occupied reading for quite some time.
Some of these are: The Door into Summer, Time Enough for Love, Methuselah's Children, From the Notebook of Lazarus Long, To Sail Beyond the Sunset

Despite the length of this list, these are just my favorites. There's a ton more of Heinlein's stuff out there, but I consider these the goodies.
Then, of course, there's
Stranger in a Strange Land
which I'm mentioning last because I'm assuming you've either read it or heard of it before

Bold is for uber favorites.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #54
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
You might try Eric Frank Russell's Wasp.

How to be an interstellar (sactioned) terrorist...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #55
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
The Number of the Beast

Bold is for uber favorites.
Finally someone who likes The Number of the Beast . I like it too, but most people I've met don't.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
C.J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union books are pretty much the poster child for intelligent space opera driven by character interaction and decisions. Read in publication order.

Downbelow Station is tough sledding, but well worth the effort for enabling one to appreciate the other books.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #57
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
You started with Reynolds... if you haven't yet read everything of his, I say go for it. My personal favorite of his was Cryptonomicon (not a space opera)
my favorite space opera of his was Chasm City (though it continues in Revelation Space and Redemption Ark)
Cryptonomicon is by Neil Stephenson, not Alastair Reynolds. I second everything by Reynolds, though
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #58
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Finally someone who likes The Number of the Beast . I like it too, but most people I've met don't.
I have been a huge Heinlein fan for over 40 years. The Number Of The Beast is the only book I have ever physically thrown across the room! No - I didn't like it
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #59
Bossman
Bossman doesn't litterBossman doesn't litter

Device: Prs505
i set myself to read the top 100 books of this list

http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html

so far i have enjoyed most of them
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #60
Merischino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Cryptonomicon is by Neil Stephenson, not Alastair Reynolds. I second everything by Reynolds, though
Of course you are right. Actually, he had started with stephenson (anathem) and later also mentioned reynolds. either way, everything reynolds is worth the trip. (I feel the same way about Stephenson, actually).