Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Who said reading was dead?
Not a fan of MJ fans but I have to respect their passion. These are people in his own age group, right?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Who said reading was dead?
Not a fan of MJ fans but I have to respect their passion. These are people in his own age group, right?
These fans have made it clear they have no intention of reading the book and are trying to discourage anyone from reading it.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
These fans have made it clear they have no intention of reading the book and are trying to discourage anyone from reading it.
Someone had to read it, otherwise why would they be upset? In my world their is little reason to be upset about something you don't know.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Someone had to read it, otherwise why would they be upset? In my world their is little reason to be upset about something you don't know.
Welcome to the real world.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Being upset about a book and having read it are two different things. Consider the people who say that Harry Potter is demonic. They haven't read it for themselves, in fact, they believe that simply reading it opens them up to demonic powers. They've been told that it is evil, and that's good enough for them. These people flocking to give negative reviews of this book haven't read it either.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Welcome to the real world.
God, that is a depressing thought.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
God, that is a depressing thought.
Yes. Yes it is.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I tend to ignore book reviews on Amazon. If I'm interested in a book, I'll download a sample to read on my Kindle and decide after reading that.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
kennyc

I enjoy the reviews and find them helpful. It's pretty obvious when they are either too praising or too punishing, but between the blurbs, samples and 'averaging' the reviews I can generally tell if a book fits my needs or not. Not always of course -- even with all of that duds still slip through.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I find them useful, as well, Kenny, although it's not helping my buying addiction much (regardless of my resolution to catch up on my TBR list first).

For instance, I saw these incredible reviews for The Sea of Tranquility at goodreads the other day and before I knew it, I owned it!!

I'm weak.

Still, the reviews are impressive. (Haven't read the book yet).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find reviews useful to help filter out books before I download the sample. Reviews can be suspiciously high, like when a newly published book suddenly has 15 reviews, all five-stars. And the reviews look phony like "John Doe did it again, with another masterpiece..." And a high number of negative reviews can help sway my decision to download the sample, but I'll look over the reviews before I decide not to download the sample. If I think the negative reviews have a point, I might not download the book. If I think they are dumb reviews, I'll ignore them.

For me, the sample is for when the book has passed the initial tests: the cover looks like some thought went into it, the blurb is well-written and interesting, and there's no red flags in reviews. The initial tests are done pretty quickly. Reading the sample takes time.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
It would be interesting to get a statistical check of the influence of Amazon's review system on sales. Do positive/negative ratings actually lead to increased/reduced sales?

Mind you, it surprises me that people actually take notice of the opinions of people unknown to them, unless they actually state a relevant fact.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If I want a review before I purchase a book, I might check out Goodreads or find even a general description of the book, that's often good enough for me. It doesn't even have to be a review, good or bad. I only checked out this review after reading this thread. And no, Amazon reviews, especially those about this book, don't entice me to buy a book at all, nor do the negative comments keep me from buying it, just not an interesting read to me. What else can be said about Michael Jackson that hasn't already been said?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
It would be interesting to get a statistical check of the influence of Amazon's review system on sales. Do positive/negative ratings actually lead to increased/reduced sales?

Mind you, it surprises me that people actually take notice of the opinions of people unknown to them, unless they actually state a relevant fact.

I can think of a way to test this: Have test subjects examine a list of 10 books, and they get three (or some other number) of the books for free. The subjects are divided into two groups. Each group sees the same list of books, except that the reviews are different. People could see the covers, read the blurb, and read the sample (obviously a small sample, for the sake of time). If reviews matter, we should see a difference between the two groups in which books they select.

It doesn't surprise me that people use other people's opinions to make decision. Word of mouth from people I know ranks at the top for selecting books. Reviews from people I don't know are still useful, although of less value. One time when I was going out to dinner, there was one Chinese restaurant that was packed with people. Rather than eating there, we went to a different Chinese restaurant that was totally empty. We didn't want to wait, so we went to the empty one. We really should have waited for a table at the first restaurant. I didn't know any of those people at that restaurant, but that they were eating there instead of the other place was a sort of "review". Of course, the opinions of others aren't always right. I've found great restaurants that aren't very popular, and popular restaurants aren't always very good.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I remember when an author stuck her foot in her mouth. Hundreds of people wrote reviews who never even read a sample attacking her book. This has been going on for a long time. *sigh*

The reviews on Amazon specially KDP books are usually fake to begin with. Authors get their family, friends and other authors or people from Facebook or Twitter. Some promise a free book in return for a favorable review.

I have read several books that got negative reviews that I've really enjoyed. I had to wonder who the author ticked off? I've also read several books with tons of good reviews only to find the book was mediocre at best.

It isn't just books. It happens with music too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote