Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
farinoj
farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.farinoj can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 4NT 4.1.0
PLEASE HELP A CHESS PLAYER WITH NO LINUX EXP

I have read through the entire thread on K3Chess. I've installed Jailbreak, CR3Runner, K3Chess, Launchpad, MfgTools, USBNet and WinSCP. I consider myself an experienced Windows user but I know nothing of Linux. At t-ror's last post in the K3Chess thread I'm dead stopped at step 3, "edit command.txt". I have no idea how to do this or how to get into obscure programming lines like /mnt/us/qtkindle/--"read, execute". I just want to install this one piece of software, K3Chess, on a Kindle 4 NT (just the five buttons at the bottom). The software revision is 4.1.0. The Kindle was a free gift, so I don't care about blowing it up. I'm dying to have K3Chess on the unit, but it's not worth learning Linux just for this. I'm just downloading stuff I have no idea how to use.

Thanks for your patience in even reading this. May the Chess Gods smile on anybody who can give me just a teeny-weeny step forward.
farinoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll get a lot more help if you ask in the right place. Moved to the Kindle dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
You're quick, HarryT!!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinoj View Post
I'm dying to have K3Chess on the unit, but it's not worth learning Linux just for this. I'm just downloading stuff I have no idea how to use.
So e-bay it while it is still working.
Buy a Windows version of a Chess application.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
mpudica
mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.

Device: k3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why do you bother to reply if you have nothing to say? Just for fun?
mpudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpudica View Post
When we get past a certain age, they call us "Grumpy Old Men". There is a reason for that. They even made a movie about us, starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. In fact, I live within walking distance of the boat used in that film. When you get old enough, you will understand. It is more a matter of frustration than fun, dealing with the same old same old too many times, when RTFM itself is getting old.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2013 at 08:47 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
When we get past a certain age, they call us "Grumpy Old Men". There is a reason for that. They even made a movie about us, starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. In fact, I live within walking distance of the boat used in that film. When you get old enough, you will understand. It is more a matter of frustration than fun, dealing with the same old same old too many times, when RTFM itself is getting old.
Nice analogy and it was a good movie.
You pick either JL or WM - I will be the other one.

At least we didn't write our replies in ALL CAPITALS:
WILL WORK FOR PAY.

Last edited by knc1; 01-09-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Nice analogy and it was a good movie.
You pick either JL or WM - I will be the other one.

At least we didn't write our replies in ALL CAPITALS:
WILL WORK FOR PAY.
Mhhhh, now I need to check that movie out. Didn't interest me before as it is about grumpy old men. You don't appear as _that_ grumpy, so maybe I need a reality check. After the movie I let you know who is you and who is GM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Wait, what? I suggest you restrain yourself until you have posted something a bit more useful than your two existing posts.

The OP clearly stated that he was not willing to invest effort, and instead asked for someone else to solve the problem for him. knc1's answer was logical, and provided a good alternative.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-09-2013 at 02:40 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
mpudica
mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.mpudica can eat soup with a fork.

Device: k3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The OP clearly stated that he was not willing to invest effort ...
So, you suggest that anyone who is "not willing to invest effort"
should reply. OK, I understand, thank you.
mpudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So, you suggest that anyone who is "not willing to invest effort"
should reply. OK, I understand, thank you.
Rule #1 of public forums:
Thou shall not pick a fight with the moderator.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinoj View Post
I'm just downloading stuff I have no idea how to use.
Quote:
Quote:
Now, seriously, why do you, mpudica, even bother to open your mouth, when you have even less to say? Why don't we all go ahead and download stuff, we have no idea what to do with. Some call it usbnetwork others call it a virus. In the wrong hand, you might just as well call it a virus.

Now let's just pretend you did not insult ixtab in further outburst of ... well insert your own words (you are much better at it than we all are).

Thank you, and have a nice day. Somewhere else.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
First of all it's strange of you trying to install K3 Chess on K4. Not sure if they'll work.
Try this chess. This should work: http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/...s-1.2.5_k4.zip
(installation should be easy - just copy everything to the root).

Last edited by flashmozzg; 01-09-2013 at 07:26 AM.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote