Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Yeah, not everyone is removing special offers. I paid $20 to remove special offers and THEN did the jailbreak solely for custom screensavers.
Sadly it only takes a small number of "bad apples" to spoil things. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the small number of people who are removing SO's without paying are the cause of Amazon's crackdown, just as people using their 3G Kindles for tethering are probably the cause of Amazon's restrictions on the use of 3G in later Kindle models. It's the dishonest minority who spoil things for everyone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #92
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Yeah, not everyone is removing special offers. I paid $20 to remove special offers and THEN did the jailbreak solely for custom screensavers.
Me too. And if Amazon had the decency of using some cute wallpapers, maybe fewer people would want to do that as well. But, God, those wallpapers are horrible.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #93
Maecenas
Maecenas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not a problem, we have the original 5.2.0 images posted.
You should be able to downgrade with them until 5.3.0 is dealt with.
Knc1, where are the 5.2.0 images posted? I unfortunately upgraded to 5.3.0 prior to seeing the post about the bridge. I'd like to downgrade to 5.2.0, then jailbreak and bridge prior to upgrading to 5.3.0.
Maecenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #94
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecenas View Post
Knc1, where are the 5.2.0 images posted? I unfortunately upgraded to 5.3.0 prior to seeing the post about the bridge. I'd like to downgrade to 5.2.0, then jailbreak and bridge prior to upgrading to 5.3.0.
Bad information posted, I took down the post that you quoted.

There will be no going back until firmware version 5.3.0 is jailbroken or Amazon releases a firmware version that acknowledges personal ownership of the devices they sell.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #95
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I removed the 5.2.0 images. They were only for research purposes and those who needed them now have their own Paperwhite.

However, it would be possible to downgrade using "dd" from diags SSH, if you had such 5.2.0 images, and if you had a jailbroken 5.3.0 and diags+SSH already installed. We do not have USB Downloader mode access on the PW (yet).

If you have locked 5.3.0 on your PW, that makes it a lot less useful. If amazon has you locked down, you lost control of your own device, and amazon now controls what you can do with it.

From our point of view, 5.3.0 hijacks and steals ownership of your device.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #96
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you have locked 5.3.0 on your PW, that makes it a lot less useful. If amazon has you locked down, you lost control of your own device, and amazon now controls what you can do with it.

From our point of view, 5.3.0 hijacks and steals ownership of your device.
It also puts this forum into the position of "Legacy Device Support".
Where a "Legacy Device" is one prior to those running the 5.3.0 firmware.

It is true that Amazon still sells some devices that fall into the above description of a "Legacy Device" but those will certainly be phased out over time. (Or get their own "lockdown" firmware version.)

When, if ever, Amazon adopts the attitude of LinkSys (top of page banner):
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
I might regain my interest in their products.

For myself, I intend to buy a paperback book today.
Amazon can go piss up a rope for all I care.

Last edited by knc1; 11-14-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #97
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
When, if ever, Amazon adopts the attitude of LinkSys (top of page banner):
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
I might regain my interest in their products.

BTW, that is exactly the reason why own a WRT54G - I bought it specifically because it was customizable (it's been running on OpenWRT now for almost 8 years, not a single problem ). That model, and its successors, were a huge success for Linksys exactly for that reason.

People appreciate open products. And most people I know don't appreciate being patronized, locked in, and spied out. At all.

I've lost almost all interest in putting any development effort into the Paperwhite. It's useless if only some 50 people actually own their Paperwhites, while Amazon keeps all the rest in the supposedly gilden cage that they built for them.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #98
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

BTW, that is exactly the reason why own a WRT54G - I bought it specifically because it was customizable (it's been running on OpenWRT now for almost 8 years, not a single problem ). That model, and its successors, were a huge success for Linksys exactly for that reason.

People appreciate open products. And most people I know don't appreciate being patronized, locked in, and spied out. At all.

I've lost almost all interest in putting any development effort into the Paperwhite. It's useless if only some 50 people actually own their Paperwhites, while Amazon keeps all the rest in the supposedly gilden cage that they built for them.
Further to this. The logging is stupidly ridiculously verbose and tattle tale.
I see no practical reason for the retrieval or storage of such data.

Well one reason. But it has very little to do with the enjoyment of books.

I too am a bit grumpy tbh about the whole affair.
Does feel a bit like taking the ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_007.png
Views:	225
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	96123  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

A great screensaver image there!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #100
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@twobob, please wait a moment while your Kindle will be "extinguished"?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #101
dlong
Total newb
dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad 3, Kindle paperwhite
My PW is still running 5.2 -- luckily I caught wind of the 'downgrade' upgrade nature and went into airplane mode last week.

Can you give me an idea why it might be a bad idea to run the "backup your kindle" instructions from the wiki and post that image? It could be helpful to anyone who accidentally went to 5.3 without even granting permission for the upgrade.

I am a total newb to the forums, and came here just last week when I got really annoyed by the recent batch of Twilight special offers. I'm comfortable in the shell, running 10.5 on a Mac and would be glad to contribute. But dont' want to step on toes!
dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #102
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
My PW is still running 5.2 -- luckily I caught wind of the 'downgrade' upgrade nature and went into airplane mode last week.

Can you give me an idea why it might be a bad idea to run the "backup your kindle" instructions from the wiki and post that image? It could be helpful to anyone who accidentally went to 5.3 without even granting permission for the upgrade.

I am a total newb to the forums, and came here just last week when I got really annoyed by the recent batch of Twilight special offers. I'm comfortable in the shell, running 10.5 on a Mac and would be glad to contribute. But dont' want to step on toes!
It's not a bad idea to post the 5.2.0 image. In fact, there are two images publicly available.... If you look hard enough for them, you'll find them.
(hint, hint: they're posted on my site).

But there just isn't any real point for these images ATM, because neither can a *really* bricked Paperwhite be revived (Amazon chose to not make the USB downloader mode accessible), nor can a castrated 5.3.0 version easily be downgraded.

EDIT: make that three, in fact. there's also the slightly customized and jailbroken 5.3.0 which I prepared in this thread.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-14-2012 at 02:55 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #103
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post

Nothing at all wrong with you making backup images.

Posting of copyrighted materials on this web-site is against the site policies (guidelines, section 8).

Since there is no jailbreak for the 5.3.0 firmware, there is no way for anyone to use the 5.2.0 images to do the downgrade.
If there where, they wouldn't need to downgrade.

You can stop the special offers from your Amazon Kindle account by paying the no-ads fee.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #104
dlong
Total newb
dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad 3, Kindle paperwhite
Hi again.

This is probably of little interest to many, but I just want to clarify something... I don't mind the SO. Some of them I enjoy, and I am aware that I agreed to it for the price purchased. Additionally, I could just pay the $20 and remove them. But I don't object to the price or the tradeoff... I just got annoyed, and wanted to manipulate the filesystem to remove or modify certain ads.

It is totally possible to do this, fwiw. I found mobileread, went through the wiki and the posts, and found the footpath that y'all have already set forward. Using the jailbreak and usbnet works beautifully, letting me find an annoying/offensive ad and modify or remove it.

This is my non-legally-adequate analogy:

magazine ad:kindle ad::ad-supported magazine:my ad-subsidized kindle

I purchase a magazine with the price subsidized by ads. Great. If I wanted to, I could pay more and go no-ads for certain publications... but the ads can be informative, entertaining, etc. I like my no-ad magazines (Woodsmith and Cook's Country come to mind) but I really like the ads in Make magazine and Wired, too.

But the perfume ads? Those things bug me. So I always tear them out. And I also sharpie-mustache the "Most Interesting Man in the World" because it amuses me, I get bored, etc. Now that I'm here I can do the same thing with my kindle. Yay hooray.

I would even argue that I remember more about the ads (an advertiser's goal) and have a stronger relationship with the brands AFTER I have sharpie defaced (or Gimp defaced) an ad. So I'm not sidestepping ads all together and won't install Ad Toggler.

I'm amazed by JBpatch and impressed by the unix-fu that was required to get the usbnet functional and loaded. I love that I can plug up, rename the RENAME-auto file and reboot my kindle to muck around with ads or anything else, then rename the auto back to RENAME and get right back to the stock functionality. This is great stuff and I hope the community continues. If you can't open it, you don't own it. Mad props to ixtab and NiLuJe and the other developers on this board.

Anyway, that's just a little perspective on my own thoughts for the jailbreak, how it's used, and how frustrating it is that Amazon decided retroactively to remove the functionality of a working jailbreak from the kindles it's already sold.
dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #105
Tvangeste
Enthusiast
Tvangeste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I'm still expecting my PW to be delivered, and since I learned about this FW update, I lost a lot of motivation to keep it.
Same here, and I bet the new devices will come with 5.3 already installed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Will probably make a good price on ebay if I decide to let it go and stay with my K3...
To their credit, Amazon allows to return any item purchased directly from them within 30 days of purchase, no questions asked, and free of change and free shipping, so we could just return the devices back if they come with 5.3. Sad, sad developments...
Tvangeste is offline   Reply With Quote