Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: But they're so tiny! I thought they were using something larger for the Cover View :?. Those things are like 150x180 on the Touch...
Ummm... nope. At least from my experience, the same thumbnails are used. (And think about it: if it displays OK on the details page, why would that be different in the cover view? The image on the details page is actually larger than the cover view...)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: I was under the mistaken assumption that they were showing way bigger stuff in cover view... .

That might still explain why the Calibre ones are not showing then, it's generating slightly smaller stuff that what the Kindle does/expect (which ends up meaning smaller stuff than what the PW expects, higher resolution and all), IIRC. Will have to check.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #33
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That might still explain why the Calibre ones are not showing then, it's generating slightly smaller stuff that what the Kindle does/expect (which ends up meaning smaller stuff than what the PW expects, higher resolution and all), IIRC. Will have to check.
Nope, it's not the size. I've manually resized the original image to 216 px on the longest side matching Amazon's dimensions for the dictionary covers, and it still didn't take. Still no image.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #34
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I cannot locate any thumbnails whatsoever. Can you provide the exact path to where they are located? Thanks.
You have to configure your file explorer to show system files and directories. In the root there is a hidden directory called system that has a thumbnails directory underneath.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
You have to configure your file explorer to show system files and directories. In the root there is a hidden directory called system that has a thumbnails directory underneath.
Thanks, Greg G. I was attached to another computer, not my primary, and didn't think of that.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #36
maliciousloki
Member Retired
maliciousloki is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW, KKBx2, K4NT
<never mind>

Last edited by maliciousloki; 10-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.
maliciousloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #37
kingbee
kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kingbee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwihite
I just posted a solution I found to this issue if you are able to enable "Sharing over the net" in Calibre and make your library available to the Paperwhite's web browser. Here are the details:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=66

EDIT: Here are some refinements to this method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=70

Last edited by kingbee; 10-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
I just posted a solution I found to this issue if you are able to enable "Sharing over the net" in Calibre and make your library available to the Paperwhite's web browser. Here are the details:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=66

This does work but note that you don't have to set up network sharing. You can just copy the file to your documents directory via USB. Also, don't make the same mistake I did and expect this to work in Airplane mode. The Kindle will download the cover from Amazon so if you are not connected to the internet you will get the generic cover.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #39
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post

Thank you!! I was going crazy trying to get covers on my PW without the pdoc notation.

After trying all your tips, what ultimately worked for me was installing the Quality Check plug in and then using the ASIN fix for Kindle Fire. Now my cover view has real covers for all my sideloaded books

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #40
Greg G
Groupie

Turns out that the answer is to resize the cover images to a width of 216. Calibre is making them too small for th PW. See elgabo's post in the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=192561&page=6
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #41
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Has anyone solved the problem of cover images not showing up for personal docs on the Ipad Kindle app yet? I'm not sure if this is quite the right thread for this, but I've read a dozen or so long threads on the issue and my mind is melting (it's 4:30 am to boot). posting here seems off topic, but starting a new thread seems worse.

I'm just at a complete loss. I emailed them to the cloud, no covers. We own a kindle too, though that's my wifes and i don't use it.

I also don't even know the proper procedure for removing files anymore; I usually go to the Amazon kindle management page and have to delete every single file from there, then resend, hoping i did enough different to get the cover to show up.

at the end of my rope; i know i should get past the missing covers, but it's just driving me up a wall.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I noticed I had more blank covers than not. I deleted all the ones with no cover in cover view. I set my preferences in Calibre, Output Options, Mobi, and UNchecked the box "enable sharing over facebook._ then I reconverted the books, plugged in the USB, and resent them to the Paperwhite. Now all the covers are there.

I thought I was following the directions I'd read here, but realized that I didn't have wifi on. So don't know if checking that box made a difference, or simply reconverting. See my next post.....I don't do it this way now.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-10-2012 at 06:39 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I've been reading all posts regarding covers for side-loaded books and Personal tags on Paperwhite. My question is: has there been a way found to solve the problem of getting covers to show up while still being recognised as books, not personal docs - while in airplane mode? I know I can have one or the other, but both?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ok, scratch what I said above....I don't do it that way, now.

Airplane mode on. No 'PDOCS' tag in Calibre. No "sharing" box checked. Reconvert if necessary. Send via Calibre over USB. Covers look great.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #45
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok, scratch what I said above....I don't do it that way, now.

Airplane mode on. No 'PDOCS' tag in Calibre. No "sharing" box checked. Reconvert if necessary. Send via Calibre over USB. Covers look great.
This doesn't work for me. Just tried converting epub to mobi (old) with no PDOCS tag and no "sharing" checked then sent via USB to device, result: no cover shows. Oh yes, Airplane mode is always On as I never plan to register my device.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote