Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
fartang
fartang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why drag and drop stopped working

Hi,

I am using Calibre under windows 7 (64) and until recently had no problem adding new books by drag and drop onto calibre's main window. After a recent upgrade of Calibre (do not remember which version, but definitely later than 8.5) drag and drop does not work anymore and when I drag books onto calibre a sign appears indicating drop is not possible. I can still import books into calibre using the "add books" button though but this is more cumbersome. I am wondering what can I do to make drag and drop work again. Is this a recent Calibre problem that other users have also experienced or I have to change some of my Windows settings.

Please help!

Thanks
fartang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartang View Post
drag and drop does not work anymore and when I drag books onto calibre a sign appears indicating drop is not possible.
As long as the book has a recognized file extension like .pdf, .epub or .mobi drag and drop should work fine, at least it does for me running calibre 0.8.62 and Windows 7. Make sure you aren't trying to drag and drop to the device view book list.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
fartang

Thanks. I am trying to drag and drop mostly .pdf and occasionally .epub files and none works. The same procedure used to work until a month ago. Importing books using "add books" still works. I suspect this problem has something to do with windows settings but I do not know what it is.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@fartang can you drag/drop a pdf from Win Explorer onto your pdf reader ?
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
fartang

Yes I can, drag and drop in other applications works fine. It is interesting that in another machine withe same OS and same version of Calibre, drag and drop works fine.

I removed and reinstalled Calibre but it did not change this odd behavior. I even changed the location of my calibre library, did not help either.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, sounds like some sort of Windows 7 ownership, access control (permissions) issue - but why would it happen in DragDrop and not in Add Books

Make sure that 'you' have full control permissions over
  • The folder where the book is,
  • The Calibre library folder
  • Calibre's internal stuff in \Users\<logonuser>\AppData\Roaming\calibre

Heres a Tutorial (Vista and Win 7 are the same) on Ownership & Permissions https://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/6...ship-file.html

To take ownership of the folders, here's a One-Click gadget http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-shortcut.html

If that fails, try turning UAC off

If that fails - Hmmm, ditto if it works

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add additional link
Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in debug mode that will tell us more about whats happening when you try to drag and drop. right click the preferences button to start calibre in debug mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
fartang

Hi all and thanks for the help,

1-I did all BetterRead suggested, it did not work

2-I ran Calibre in debug mode, tried to drag and drop a pdf file onto it (as usual the "do not enter" sign appeared) and the closed Calibre, the debutg report file follows:

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.62
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Failed to convert to opf for id: 2098
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\caches.py", line 89, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf2.py", line 1399, in metadata_to_opf
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf2.py", line 1396, in factory
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 916, in lxml.etree._Element.text.__set__ (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:36134)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 721, in lxml.etree._setNodeText (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:17141)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1366, in lxml.etree._utf8 (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:22211)
ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes or control characters
Failed to convert to opf for id: 10467
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf2.py", line 1399, in metadata_to_opf
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 916, in lxml.etree._Element.text.__set__ (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:36134)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 721, in lxml.etree._setNodeText (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:17141)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1366, in lxml.etree._utf8 (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:22211)
ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes or control characters
Started up in 12.31 seconds with 8215 books
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That indicates that the drag and drop event isn't even being delivered to calibre. Most likely you have some security setting on your computer that is blocking it. Unfortunately, I dont use windows, so I have no idea what that setting might be.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You will need to provide which of the 5 main versions of W7 you have this problem with.
Please include if you have the rights to make any 'policy changes' (corporate owned computers).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@fartang try this - it's a long shot but...,

Right click one of the PDF/EPUB files and select Properties, if there is a Button at the bottom of the General tab labelled "Unblock" then click it, click OK and try dragging it into Calibre. If there isn't a button then we know its not a Zone Identifier issue (sorry for the geek speak, but its all I know...)

BR
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
fartang

Hi all, and thanks for your suggestions:

@theducks : I am using windows 7 home prem. 64 bit. I have the administrator priviledges.

@BetterRed : Right clicked on a pdf file, there is no "unblock" button under general tab.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I don't know of any application specific drag/drop tweaks in Win 7, the only one I know of is

Code:
Right Click Start Button, 
   Select Properties, 
      Start Menu Tab, 
         Customise Button, (the list is alphabetical order)
             Enable context menus and dragging and dropping
It should be checked, uncheck and see what happens, then check and try again - I saw this suggested for a drag drop problem in XP - it fixed the problem, so the OP said.

BR
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
fartang

@BetterRed Thanks! but "Enable context menus and dragging and dropping" is already checked. The strange thing is that drag and drop with other programs works fine, it is only Calibre that it does not wrk with (as far as I know)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I have the same problem on my machine when my third party firewall is enabled. I always have to temporarily disable it, when I want drag and drop a large number of files.
Since drag and drop works with all other programs the Windows version of Calibre most likely uses a non-standard drag and drop mechanism.
(It worked fine in earlier Calibre versions.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote