Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Inability to back out of the dictionary

Anyone else had the problem of being unable to use the Back button to back out of the dictionary and back into the book you were reading? I'm on a K3 (Kindle Keyboard) and when I have looked up a word (using the UK Oxford) I now have to hit Home and go all the way around to get back into my book. Bit of a nuisance. Any ideas?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nope. "Back" has always worked absolutely fine for me. What happens when you press the "Back" button?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've never had any difficulty either, though depending on what I've done while in the dictionary, it may take more than one Back press to step all the way back to the book.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forgive the obvious question, but you are pressing the "Back" button, and not "Page Back"?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nope. "Back" has always worked absolutely fine for me.
I have never had a problem either. Maybe the back button is broken?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems like it is indeed a non-responding Back button (Back, not Page back!), as it seems to do nothing at all now under any circumstances. I'll try a reboot again, but if that doesn't work, looks like I have a unique problem. Fortunately one can live without the Back button on a Kindle, though it's a bit clunky.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds as if perhaps the button is physically broken. If your Kindle is still under warranty (and perhaps even if it isn't), Kindle CS will probably offer you a replacement if you contact them.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
terencek
Groupie

Update: doing a complete reset (from the Settings page sub-menu) finally fixed the problem; the Back button is working as designed again. But I did lose my place in my Audiobook, which was a nuisance, even though all other settings, collections etc. remained intact.

This raises an interesting point: given that Kindles are normally and repeatedly put into a form of Hibernation and normally never fully rebooted, does the old PC rule of occasionally doing a complete reboot also apply here -- as happened to me in this instance?